News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

7 - John Coltrane - A Love Supreme v 10 - Phish - Junta

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 17, 2012, 07:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 20, 2012, 09:45:51 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 20, 2012, 09:40:49 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 20, 2012, 09:40:10 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 20, 2012, 09:37:07 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 20, 2012, 09:03:13 AM
vs a whole buncha beepin and boppin.

You poor, misguided, soul.

i was merely trying to reduce the album to one silly, unfair comment, kinda like a record about creepy dolls and weasels.

I said it had songs about creepy dolls and weasels. That's a fact.

how do you feels about the music behind those and other songs on the album?

I like them. There are clever and interesting compositions on that album. They also link to some nice memories.

But they don't have the force of emotion I feel in A Love Supreme.

A Love Supreme is an album that changed the way I looked at the world as well as music.

twatts

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 20, 2012, 09:50:47 AM

i was merely trying to reduce the album to one silly, unfair comment, kinda like a record about creepy dolls and weasels.

I like them. There are clever and interesting compositions on that album. They also link to some nice memories.

A Love Supreme is an album that changed the way I looked at the world as well as music.

I we really having this discussion???  I mean I loved my first car, I took it to the beach and many road-trips and lost my virginity in it...  But comparing it to a Ferrari is bordering on absurdity...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

rowjimmy

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on March 20, 2012, 10:20:03 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 20, 2012, 09:50:47 AM

I we really having this discussion???  I mean I loved my first car, I took it to the beach and many road-trips and lost my virginity in it...  But comparing it to a Ferrari is bordering on absurdity...

Terry

Sha-blammy

h/t to barnesy

mbw

you guys all have mccoy tyner tix for the dc show in april, right?

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 20, 2012, 10:32:01 AM

I can't afford that shit. But this isn't a McCoy Tyner live experience poll, is it?

Also, no Phish tickets.

Hicks

Whateves, I'm not gonna vote for an album I've listened to 20 times over an album I've listened to hundreds of times to gain credibility or because the music snob bible says I "should".
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Fuck bibles, do it because, in your heart, you know it's right.

Honestly, though, it's the musicians in here who have the most credibility at stake.

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 20, 2012, 11:34:48 AM

Honestly, though, it's the musicians in here who have the most credibility at stake.

This guy's heart says Junta loud and clear.

ETA:  I hope everyone thinks about this thread as they are standing in line at the crack of dawn tingling with anticipation as they wait for a copy of said record w/ songs about weasels and rag dolls.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

twatts

Quote from: Hicks on March 20, 2012, 11:35:56 AM

ETA:  I hope everyone thinks about this thread as they are standing in line at the crack of dawn tingling with anticipation as they wait for a copy of said record w/ songs about weasels and rag dolls.

Says the guy that laughed at me liking Van Halen I...   :-P

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

rowjimmy

I already have a perfect copy of A Love Supreme on vinyl.

DoW

it's funny because I thought of the whole vinyl anticipation during this thread as well.

the reality is that I'm not a huge beatles fan but I'm voting for abbey road over junta if it came down to that.  but on some votes, I am going with my favorite.

these conversations always go down the same road.  is it best?  is it favorite?
a lot of these votes have me  :shakehead: but it has led to a lot of good conversation on here.

when you think about it, there are no classical albums in this tourney.  my knowledge is so lackluster in that area.  I wanted to add that in the mix but I just don't have that knowledge base to do it.

I really have no point but to agree and disagree at the same time with everyone and no one.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Hicks

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on March 20, 2012, 11:45:23 AM

Says the guy that laughed at me liking Van Halen I...   :-P

Terry

Uh, pretty sure I was referring to you preferring Diver Down over Van Halen I.

mbw

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 20, 2012, 10:38:44 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 20, 2012, 10:32:01 AM

I can't afford that shit. But this isn't a McCoy Tyner live experience poll, is it?

Also, no Phish tickets.

Just a funny way to treat a guy who was instrumental, pun intended, in changing the way you see life.
you've seen him live though, right?

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.