News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Final Four - 1 - Pink Floyd - DSOTM v 1 - Beatles - Sgt. Peppers

Started by UncleEbinezer, April 05, 2012, 07:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleEbinezer

Final Four - 1 - Pink Floyd - DSOTM v 1 - Beatles - Sgt. Peppers
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mbw

Superfreakie

Dark Side.........because 200 years from now, it will still sound like it could of been made the day before.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

cactusfan

have to go Dark Side.

love the beatles, but sgt. pepper's was never my favorite. more like 5th favorite. or so.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: cactusfan on April 05, 2012, 11:28:02 PM
have to go Dark Side.

love the beatles, but sgt. pepper's was never my favorite. more like 5th favorite. or so.

funny, im just the opposite.  Sgt. Peppers is my favorite Beatles album, and Dark Side is amazing, but not my favorite Floyd.

Gotta go with Peppers on this one
Bring in the dude!

sls.stormyrider

Pepper.

On other threads people talked of the impact of certain albums.
When Pepper was released, it was like traffic stopped. All anyone talked about, from age 8 to 40, was the new Beatles album. Did you hear it? Did you see it (it even looked different - we take that for granted today) By all accounts, the industry was just as stunned. Hendrix covered Sgt Pepper the next night.

not to mention the lyrics -  "I get high with a little help from my friends" and "I'd love to turn you on". Pretty tame by today's standards, but in 1967 that was radical stuff. Timothy Leary used to stand on stage and read the lyrics during his events.

Never has an album had such and impact. Ever.

and the fact that it's not my favorite Beatles album doesn't diminish it one bit.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

mistercharlie

New car, caviar
Four-star daydream
Think I'll be me a football team
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

Sgt. Peppers is the single most important album in history. It is as pivotal a peice of music as Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

Dark Side is as perfect an album as there ever was. It is the pinnacle of the album format. But Sgt. Peppers defined the album format. Without peppers you have no dsotm.

Have to go with the Beatles here.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Igbo

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 06, 2012, 07:48:45 AM
Sgt. Peppers is the single most important album in history. It is as pivotal a peice of music as Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

Dark Side is as perfect an album as there ever was. It is the pinnacle of the album format. But Sgt. Peppers defined the album format. Without peppers you have no dsotm.

Have to go with the Beatles here.

Troof

gah

Quote from: slslbs on April 06, 2012, 12:37:09 AM
Pepper.

On other threads people talked of the impact of certain albums.
When Pepper was released, it was like traffic stopped. All anyone talked about, from age 8 to 40, was the new Beatles album. Did you hear it? Did you see it (it even looked different - we take that for granted today) By all accounts, the industry was just as stunned. Hendrix covered Sgt Pepper the next night.

not to mention the lyrics -  "I get high with a little help from my friends" and "I'd love to turn you on". Pretty tame by today's standards, but in 1967 that was radical stuff. Timothy Leary used to stand on stage and read the lyrics during his events.

Never has an album had such and impact. Ever.

and the fact that it's not my favorite Beatles album doesn't diminish it one bit.

This argument wins my vote.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Gundo

Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite was THE song that essentially logged me in as a conscious being. Every time the family decided to go out for a night on the town my father would throw on a record while everyone was getting ready. When you're nine years old it doesn't take long to be ready, so naturally I would spend the extra time before we left sitting in the "music room" playing with my legos. My dad was a huge music fanatic and played various artists, but when he put Sgt. Peppers on...needless to say I was transformed. The Beatles were the reason I am the way I am. I used to spend hours flipping back and forth from the cover to the back of the booklet to find out who all those crazy people were. I bought my first CD player because of those four guys!
Don't get me wrong DSOTM is fucking great! But Sgt. Peppers has EVERYTHING! With Sgt. Peppers you have an album that appeals to so many different types of people. You've got your sad She's Leaving Home. The introspective WITHIN AND WITHOUT YOU. My personal favorite FIXING A HOLE. The epic DAY IN THE LIFE. From the minute the intro starts up to the reprise you can't help but be the happiest person alive.
I think the reason a lot of us want to vote DSOTM is because it appeals more to our older selves. Personally I think things have just gotten a little weird in all of us and we like it that way. I can honestly say that I have listened to DSOTM way more times than Sgt. Peppers in the past four years. But when you compare these albums you we find so many people who can back up Sgt. Pepper with so many great arguments. 

mbw

Quote from: slslbs on April 06, 2012, 12:37:09 AM
not to mention the lyrics -  "I get high with a little help from my friends" and "I'd love to turn you on". Pretty tame by today's standards, but in 1967 that was radical stuff.

certainly not the first time in history a rock record mentioned sex or drugs.

eta: or made psychedelic music or a cohesive record.