News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd. 1: Full Metal Jacket vs. Unforgiven

Started by cactusfan, May 08, 2012, 03:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

mistercharlie

Full Metal Jacket has to win this round, it's like getting two movies in one.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

This one is a tough draw but I'm going with Unforgiven.

VDB

Quote from: mistercharlie on May 08, 2012, 05:48:38 AM
Full Metal Jacket has to win this round, it's like getting two movies in one.

Good point.

Unforgiven was good, but I was a little surprised how simple and linear it was. At least, that's my recollection.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Which one of these two gave us the line "common courtesy of a reach-around?" Yup. That one's getting my vote.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Unforgiven isn't all that simple. It's an amazing look at a man whose life has been shaped by his past that he cannot escape.

Kubrick leans too heavily on shock value, imo.

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

cactusfan

love them both, but Full Metal Jacket is not Kubrick's best, and Unforgiven is really something special and unique.

plus Unforgiven has one of the greatest lines ever, which line pretty much sums up all of these contests we've been running:

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

mbw

Quote from: cactusfan on May 08, 2012, 03:10:42 PM
love them both, but Full Metal Jacket is not Kubrick's best, and Unforgiven is really something special and unique.

plus Unforgiven has one of the greatest lines ever, which line pretty much sums up all of these contests we've been running:

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

quoted by snoop in one of the last 'the wire' episodes.

kellerb

Can I vote for just the first half of Full Metal Jacket?

aphineday

I'm abstaining from this one because I don't really like either of the films.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Lifeboy

Quote from: kellerb on May 08, 2012, 05:45:09 PM
Can I vote for just the first half of Full Metal Jacket?

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

this was the first thought that crossed my mind when I saw this match-up. It still got my vote though...
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

kellerb

Quote from: susep on May 11, 2012, 09:15:35 AM

I have a theory that the sucky sucky hooker is also the sniper at the end of the movie.  But I haven't gone back to really research my theory.  More of an interesting concept, I guess.