News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Shipping a guitar X-country

Started by Bobafett, June 26, 2012, 11:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobafett

Just wanted some input.  I want to get my Custom Strat sent out to me from MS to Idaho.  I have looked at a few guitar forums, and most suggest Fed-Ex.  The guitar is in a hard case with a lock on it.  Most say it should cost about $50.  Has anyone here ever done this?  Also, how much insurance should i pay for.  The guitar  is in the $1200 range.  Thanks for any reply. 

Benji
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

khalpin

Quote from: Bobafett on June 26, 2012, 11:55:19 AM
Just wanted some input.  I want to get my Custom Strat sent out to me from MS to Idaho.  I have looked at a few guitar forums, and most suggest Fed-Ex.  The guitar is in a hard case with a lock on it.  Most say it should cost about $50.  Has anyone here ever done this?  Also, how much insurance should i pay for.  The guitar  is in the $1200 range.  Thanks for any reply. 

Benji
It's not a bad idea to insure your guitar(s) as you would an engagement ring.  Much cheaper, too.  I have a Martin insured for $4,000 and it only costs $22/year.  Looking at the contract, I don't see any exclusion for being lost in the mail, but I don't know if I'd mention that you're planning on mailing it if you go that route.  The underwriter would probably deny the application.

[takes off insurance hat]

kellerb

Benji

With UPS, everything is auto-insured to a value of $100.  Anything worth more than $100, you have to pay for the extra insurance by whatever you declare the value of the contents is.  I believe Fedex is similar.  I'd recommend insuring for the full price, or at least whatever you think the cost of replacement would be.   My assumption is that it's in a regular hardshell guitar case and not one of the SKB flight cases.  I don't have any knowledge about long-term insurance, so I'll defer to Khalpin's thoughts on that.

I'd suspect that for a large object, weighing maybe 30 lbs?, with insurance, it might be closer to $100 for a MS->ID shipment, especially considering you're not in a large metropolis with a UPS/Fedex hub there.

EDIT:  If you give me the approximate weight and the approximate addresses, I can get you a couple estimates at work tomorrow

mbw

Quote from: kellerb on June 26, 2012, 09:25:19 PM

Benji

With UPS, everything is auto-insured to a value of $100.  Anything worth more than $100, you have to pay for the extra insurance by whatever you declare the value of the contents is.  I believe Fedex is similar.  I'd recommend insuring for the full price, or at least whatever you think the cost of replacement would be.   My assumption is that it's in a regular hardshell guitar case and not one of the SKB flight cases.  I don't have any knowledge about long-term insurance, so I'll defer to Khalpin's thoughts on that.

I'd suspect that for a large object, weighing maybe 30 lbs?, with insurance, it might be closer to $100 for a MS->ID shipment, especially considering you're not in a large metropolis with a UPS/Fedex hub there.

EDIT:  If you give me the approximate weight and the approximate addresses, I can get you a couple estimates at work tomorrow

the dimensions will over rule the weight in this case.  a standard guitar box is 20x8x50
i can tell you exactly tomorrow, but it will be somewhere in between those two numbers, 50-100

kellerb

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on June 26, 2012, 09:34:09 PM

Benji

the dimensions will over rule the weight in this case.  a standard guitar box is 20x8x50
i can tell you exactly tomorrow, but it will be somewhere in between those two numbers, 50-100

Yes.  "Dimensional weight" is factored in on larger packages.  Forgot to mention that.

Bobafett

Thanks guys.  i have no idea of the weight, but the case is your standard hardshell strat case.  Let's see if my mom can guesstimate the weight.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

barnesy305

Quote from: Bobafett on June 26, 2012, 11:48:44 PM
Thanks guys.  i have no idea of the weight, but the case is your standard hardshell strat case.  Let's see if my mom can guesstimate the weight.

The Strat is probably around 8 or 9 pounds and the case should be around 10-12 pounds.

kellerb

Benji

using MBW's dimensions, I checked shipping from Winona, MS to Monteview, ID (just picked random semi-rural places).  With Declared value of $1200, UPS ground is still right about $50 total (the insurance portion was about $11).  I put the weight as 30lb, the Dimension weight showed up as 49LBs.  I didn't have a chance to pull fedex estimates, but in general the prices are similar.  I'm actually surprised it's that cheap.

mbw

Quote from: kellerb on June 27, 2012, 07:31:22 PM

Benji

using MBW's dimensions, I checked shipping from Winona, MS to Monteview, ID (just picked random semi-rural places).  With Declared value of $1200, UPS ground is still right about $50 total (the insurance portion was about $11).  I put the weight as 30lb, the Dimension weight showed up as 49LBs.  I didn't have a chance to pull fedex estimates, but in general the prices are similar.  I'm actually surprised it's that cheap.

nice, forgot about this today.  if you go to a The UPS Store, insurance might run you more.  I believe its $0.45 per hundred of value after the first $100 straight through UPS, stores can and usually do charge more though.  Also, if a store packs it, they will obviously charge for that as well. 

nobody uses fedex.   :evil:

kellerb

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on June 27, 2012, 07:37:14 PM

Benji

nice, forgot about this today.  if you go to a The UPS Store, insurance might run you more.  I believe its $.045 per hundred of value after the first $100 straight through UPS, stores can and usually do charge more though.  Also, if a store packs it, they will obviously charge for that as well. 

From what I've heard, Fedex takes Mondays off

khalpin

Quote from: kellerb on June 27, 2012, 09:28:50 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on June 27, 2012, 07:37:14 PM

Benji

nice, forgot about this today.  if you go to a The UPS Store, insurance might run you more.  I believe its $.045 per hundred of value after the first $100 straight through UPS, stores can and usually do charge more though.  Also, if a store packs it, they will obviously charge for that as well. 

From what I've heard, Fedex takes Mondays off
:hereitisyousentimentalbastard