News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Nexus Q

Started by mbw, June 27, 2012, 07:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

on the heels of the google nexus tablet announcement today also comes the far more interesting nexus q.  a media streaming device, or rather computer, which has its own 'audiophile' grade amp built in which you can hook speakers right up too.  can be controlled by anyone in the room as well with an android phone.  just reading up now but it looks pretty interesting...

https://www.google.com/nexus/#/q/features

kellerb

Looks interesting.  I'm curious why google is trying to get back into the hardware market, as the nexus one was generally perceived as "Great hardware, failed marketing/support/etc."

rowjimmy

Google wants to trump the post-Jobs Apple.

VDB

Is that a mini HDMI port? As full-size HDMI just become too huge and unwieldy?
Is this still Wombat?

UncleEbinezer

I feel like Google TV already does much of this.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mattstick

I think the "social" aspects of this thing are stupid.

The hardware is probably pretty cool, but it doesn't do much that my AppleTV doesn't already do (granted it has more file support).

Is there anyone who thinks this thing won't be a flop?

UncleEbinezer

It probably will be a flop. 

Google TV is struggling, although I have noticed some improvements recently.  The device I have is at least a Blu-ray.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

VDB

So is the "party mode" supposed to be the "social" component? So everyone gets to fight over the music and change what's playing?
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

i think it would be cool in a house, if i lived in such a thing, to be able to sync multiple units to play the same thing, or different things, without the need for a receiver.  i think that's the big part, that it is self driven and doesn't need a receiver or a computer to put out the content.  plus it looks really cool. 

once it gets support for other apps like netflix, which i'm sure is coming, i would think about picking one or two up.

Hicks

I don't get why they didn't just build speakers right into it though. . .

An all in one solution is what people really want. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

I suspect Google's definition of an "audiophile" quality amp, and actual audiophiles might differ slightly.

Hicks

Quote from: mattstick on June 28, 2012, 11:32:04 AM

I suspect Google's definition of an "audiophile" quality amp, and actual audiophiles might differ slightly.

Isn't "audiophile" just a synonym for "douchebag with too much money"?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mbw

Quote from: Hicks on June 28, 2012, 11:30:03 AM
I don't get why they didn't just build speakers right into it though. . .

An all in one solution is what people really want.

Quote from: Hicks on June 28, 2012, 11:35:08 AM

so you can run them into your Verus book shelf speakers of course, with their Audiophile-Grade Silk-Dome Tweeters.

mattstick

It's meaning is multifaceted.  I can refer to one who cares about the playback quality of recorded sound...

Or "douchebag who likes Bose"

McGrupp

Quote from: Hicks on June 28, 2012, 11:35:08 AM
Quote from: mattstick on June 28, 2012, 11:32:04 AM

+k
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?