News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2012 Attendance Totals/Gross Tix Sales

Started by anthrax, January 03, 2013, 05:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

khalpin

Thanks for the link.  I was having a conversation about this(ticket sales) today.  Looks like I was way off. 

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mbw

alpine didnt look half empty the first night.  maybe people just got to spread out a little. 

eta:  the amount of money these guys make is redic.
how bout a little practice?  some new tunes?
if i hear about how hard it is because they have families and shit.....
cry me a river, its your job.

jstepan

Quote from: antelope19 on January 03, 2013, 05:31:24 PM
Quote from: anthrax on January 03, 2013, 05:16:43 PM
I love looking at stuff like this...

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/the-number-line-phish-attendance-and-gross-sales-2012/

Thanks for sharing. I'm a little surprised at how poorly attended some of those mid-west shows were.

i was thinking the same thing. The heat was brutal during that run, esp deer creek. I wonder how much of a correlation there is between the heat and "day of" attendance.
Λ Σ Δ
to Use your head... you have to go out of your mind... Dr Tim Leary

one day we'll figure out the mathematical formula that describes the universe, then, our whole reality will dissolve and a sign will pop up that says 'level two'.

antelope19

Quote from: jstepan on January 05, 2013, 06:36:18 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on January 03, 2013, 05:31:24 PM
Quote from: anthrax on January 03, 2013, 05:16:43 PM
I love looking at stuff like this...

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/the-number-line-phish-attendance-and-gross-sales-2012/

Thanks for sharing. I'm a little surprised at how poorly attended some of those mid-west shows were.

i was thinking the same thing. The heat was brutal during that run, esp deer creek. I wonder how much of a correlation there is between the heat and "day of" attendance.

Could be. But we were staring at triple digits in both 2010 and 2011 MPP shows and that place was packed to the gills for all 4 shows.

redrum

I think it's funny how quick so many people say that "phish needs to practice"
When really no one has any idea. If they didn't practice, they wouldn't be playing coil, guelah, Reba, or name any other tune that isn't 3 chords, caspian or zero.
Oh ya you guys want them to practice jamming too right? Lol

Ya more new tunes would be great (if they were good)
But cry me a river it's your job?
Ok well when you've been at your job for 30years and still have tens of thousands of people coming and paying to see you and loving it then ill take your "they should practice more" suggestions seriously.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

mbw

Quote from: redrum on January 05, 2013, 06:53:14 PM
If they did practice, they wouldn't be botching the hell out of coil, guelah, Reba, or name any other tune for 4 years now.

fyp

Oh ya you guys want them to practice jamming too right?

fucking right!

But cry me a river it's your job?
Ok well when you've been at your job for 30years and still have tens of thousands of people coming and paying to see you and loving it then ill take your "they should practice more" suggestions seriously.

i wish my only job was to take playing music with my band seriously.

oh, and relax pal.

redrum

Lol at relax pal. I just think its funny that everyone always says they need to practice when no one knows how much they really do.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

DoW

Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

McGrupp

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 03, 2013, 06:09:54 PM

Those were just gross ticket sales figures. I'd be interested to see how much each band member nets at each show or each tour, and how much gets funneled to crew, venue, ticketmaster, promoters, managers, etc.

They still get paid well. I do know that much.

As for "they should practice more", said horse has been beaten to death. Where's rj with that list, though? I'm sure we can find plenty of reasons to beat it more.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

thechad

They, most likely, have a set price.  That includes the band, their sound and lights, and all crew.  Securing the venue and all associated costs (insurance, security,ect...) are the promoters problems.  So, while I'm sure they would rather have every show sold out, if the show only sells half of the available tickets what they make doesn't change, it's the promoter who loses out.  I know for a fact that Ken Hayes who owns Great Northeast Productions made very little money on all of the festivals up to NYE 2000.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

whatapiper

The pie has spoken, phish needs to spend more time out west and ignore the saturated markets for a couple years so they realize what they are missing.  Some of those numbers are pretty shocking really...
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

antelope19

Quote from: McGrupp on January 06, 2013, 11:16:01 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 03, 2013, 06:09:54 PM

Those were just gross ticket sales figures. I'd be interested to see how much each band member nets at each show or each tour, and how much gets funneled to crew, venue, ticketmaster, promoters, managers, etc.

They still get paid well. I do know that much.

As for "they should practice more", said horse has been beaten to death. Where's rj with that list, though? I'm sure we can find plenty of reasons to beat it more.

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 29, 2009, 07:41:31 AM
Why It Makes Sense to Beat a Dead Horse.

1. Sets an example for other horses that might be watching.
2. Aerobic workout.
3. Horse might not be really dead. (Isn't it better to be safe than sorry?)
4. Tenderizes the meat.
5. Horse is unable to fight back.
6. Provides a welcome relief for tension or anxiety. (Makes you feel good.)

anthrax

i'd say the band members take home a rather small percentage of gross ticket sales.  there are a TON of expenses and i'm sure a lot of people have their hands in the pot.  i wouldn't be surprised if they were splitting under 30% of the gross numbers.  which is still a TON of money, don't get me wrong.  but what these numbers don't show is the revenue generated on merch, livephish, and webcast sales.  historically, merch is where band members bank, and phish sells a hell of a lotta merch!