News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

HBO GO

Started by VDB, February 13, 2013, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

the new Bee Gees documentary available on HBO Max was fantastic!  i highly recommend it!

VDB

Quote from: anthrax on February 02, 2021, 07:34:40 PM
the new Bee Gees documentary available on HBO Max was fantastic!  i highly recommend it!

I'll add that to the watchlist. When I was a lad, my friends and I found the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack in my parents' record collection, and we spun it unironically for an entire summer, to the grownups' amusement.

These days, my wife and I have been watching Raised by Wolves on HBO Max. It's pretty good sci-fi. I won't give it my most enthusiastic recommendation, but if you have nothing better to do, or just want to watch a lady walk around in a shiny skintight suit at all times, give it a try.
Is this still Wombat?

anthrax

i also started The Soprano's last week.  never seen it before.  i'm through season 1, episode 7...NO SPOILERS.  it's not the best, so far.  i'm ready to bail.  do i stick with it?  it has to get better, right?

i find the episodes to be slow moving.  i get it.  you're in the mob.  your family will have issues with this.  you will have issues with this.  and you guys are all italian with funny nicknames and you love to eat.

so far the most intriguing aspect is the creepy ass priest.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: anthrax on February 03, 2021, 07:18:24 PM
i also started The Soprano's last week.  never seen it before.  i'm through season 1, episode 7...NO SPOILERS.  it's not the best, so far.  i'm ready to bail.  do i stick with it?  it has to get better, right?

i find the episodes to be slow moving.  i get it.  you're in the mob.  your family will have issues with this.  you will have issues with this.  and you guys are all italian with funny nicknames and you love to eat.

so far the most intriguing aspect is the creepy ass priest.

HAHA - I'm almost finished with a run through the whole series - 4 episodes left. I love it for the comedy, but that's a subtle thing sometimes. All the crazy malapropisms are fucking hilarious to me. "Create a little dysentery among the ranks." "We?re in a fucking stagmire." More:

Then there are the two greatest moments in television history:

and

Seriously, though. James Gandolfini is fucking brilliant throughout. It gets better for sure. There are some really great episodes. The Pine Barrons episode comes to mind... at the time it was the most cinematic episode of television ever. They were really the first to shoot TV on the level of film.

It's slow at times... but it's so worth it.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sunrisevt

"Hair apparent" kills me every damn time.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Hicks

Not having seen Sopranos until 2021?

How?s that napkin for a roof?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

anthrax

Quote from: Hicks on February 03, 2021, 10:50:13 PM

never really had the time.  never really gave a shit.  i have a little free time this winter, for some unknown reason, so i was looking for something great to get into.  maybe all the hype is hard to live up to.  maybe it's because it's over 20 years old now.  i'll finish out season 1 and reevaluate.

khalpin

Quote from: anthrax on February 04, 2021, 07:09:37 AM
Quote from: Hicks on February 03, 2021, 10:50:13 PM

never really had the time.  never really gave a shit.  i have a little free time this winter, for some unknown reason, so i was looking for something great to get into.  maybe all the hype is hard to live up to.  maybe it's because it's over 20 years old now.  i'll finish out season 1 and reevaluate.

I've been rewatching it over the past month myself.  The 20 years old thing has a bit of weight to it.  I mean it was the show that really started it all.  It took TV to the next level and made it more like a 13 hour movie than isolated 1 hour episodes.  There are some annoying things about it, for sure, but all in all, I'm a huge fan and will probably re-watch it again a few years from now.

ytowndan

That first season, especially the first two thirds of it, was a bit uneven. It was still figuring out what it wanted to be. The tone changes towards the end of those first dozen episodes. I?d give it at least a few into season two. The writing and acting is spectacular. But it?s not a high strung suspense like Breaking Bad. Its pace is more slow.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

rowjimmy

I watched it all the way through for the first time a couple years ago.
Absolutely terrific.

cactusfan

Sopranos is brilliant. I've watched it all I think 3 times over the years. So my advice is, watch the entire show. Then re-evaluate. If you still don't like it, then watch the entire thing again, just to be sure.

emay

Oh man we cycle through the Sopranos about twice a year at the crib. So good. A lot of characters and development throughout the show.
A modern look of The Godfather of sorts with a glimpse into his mental health.

VDB

I rode in an elevator with James Gandolfini once. For some reason I thought he'd be taller.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Show did jump the shark in the last season though.

Definitely peaked in season 2 and 3. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Hicks on February 04, 2021, 11:06:04 AM
Show did jump the shark in the last season though.

Definitely peaked in season 2 and 3.

True, but there was still some meat on the bones. Just watched the peyote episode with was fucking great.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul