News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

10/26 - DCU Center - Worcester, MA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, October 27, 2013, 12:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

2013-10-26
DCU Center, Worcester, MA

Set 1: Party Time, Punch You In the Eye > Back on the Train, My Soul, Bathtub Gin, Ride Captain Ride, Stash, Simple > David Bowie, Character Zero

Set 2: Drowned > Light, Sand > Theme From the Bottom > Mike's Song > No Quarter > Weekapaug Groove

Encore: Boogie On Reggae Woman*, Possum*

* W/ Kenwood Dennard replacing Fish on drums.

Igbo

Wow Kenwood Dennard!! He toured with Maceo Parker in the late 80's early 90's. Played on his live record Life on Planet Groove

Superfreakie

Quote from: Igbo on October 27, 2013, 12:29:27 AM
Wow Kenwood Dennard!! He toured with Maceo Parker in the late 80's early 90's. Played on his live record Life on Planet Groove

QuoteDrummer and composer Kenwood Dennard was practically born playing music. He began playing piano at age 3, and moved on to the drums at age 9. Since then, Kenwood has truly mastered the art of drumming, playing in numerous settings.

In 1968 Kenwood attended David Mannes School where he studied ear training, theory, and piano. In 1971 he furthered his classical studies at the Manhattan School of Music Prep. Department, where he began studying percussion with Jim Price.

Kenwood finished high school at age 17 and was accepted into Berklee College of Music in Boston in the same year. There he majored in composition and his principal instrument was drums, which he studied with Gary Chaffee and Alan Dawson. Kenwood attended the accelerated program in order to make time to study theory with Nadja Boulanger during the summer of 1975 in Fontainebleu, France. Kenwood graduated Magna Cum Laude from Berklee in 1976. Thus he completed his formal training, but has continued to study with master musicians throughout the world.

Kenwood Dennard has enjoyed a multifaceted, star-studded career as a performer, recording artist, and educator. He has toured the world with such greats as George Clinton, Chick Corea, Dizzy Gillespie, Herbie Hancock, Jaco Pastorius, Whitney Houston, and Joe Zawinul; and led the Meta-Funk All-Stars, the Real Thing, and Quintessence. His numerous recordings include Sting's Nothing Like the Sun, Vanessa Williams's The Sweetest Days, and Live at Montreux with Miles Davis and Quincy Jones.

"A few year later, after playing with Pat Martino and Brand X, I decided to concentrate on developing the MRO. My first concert was in 1979, where I played three keyboards and drums at the same time. I eventually developed it to the point where I could play eight ostinatos at the same time, and that led to playing all the parts of a song where I could sound like an entire band." Kenwood was an artist-in-residence and taught free jazz at the New School in New York. Kenwood returned in 1996 to teach private percussion lessons, ensembles, and labs at Berklee, his alma mater.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mbw

jasonsobel

yeah, this show was awesome.  the highlight for me was "Drowned > Light", but really, all of set 2 fantastic.  The Mike's was great too.

also, Kenwood Dennard.  If anyone is interested in checking out more stuff from Kenwood, be sure to check out this:
https://archive.org/details/clubdelf2005-11-03.m200.flac16

:crazy:

Quote from: mbw on October 27, 2013, 12:58:22 AM
fish wasn't on stage at all for the encore?

Fish came on and started Boogie On.  Then, just a minute into it (not exact timings), Kenwood came out, and they switched mid-song, seamlessly.  then Fish came out in between Boogie On and Possum and introduced Kenwood, but then left the stage again and didn't play.
sing me back home before I die

WhatstheUse?

No one around me seems to agree but that was the possibly the worst phish show I've ever seen

That was, absolutely the most embarrassing sit in I've ever seen.

I hate to be the person that hates... Because I always hate that person...but here I am.

Phish is so unrehearsed it's ridiculous. The end of that mikes song was one of the most pitiful things I've witnesse. They completely GAVE UP.  I seriously felt like the band gave up on themselves multiple times throughout the night. They were completely indecisive at every questionable moment.

The band now expects trey to abort every jam.... And now when he doesn't it's like none of them no whether to stop or keep jamming or abprt or train wreck or what the fuck
Bring in the dude!

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

WhatstheUse?

That drummer had very obviously never listed to possum.

Nor should he even have gotten on stage to begin worh
Bring in the dude!

pcr3

At least this possum was different.

You're not getting your money back for your better half's ticket,  :wtu:

If I'm not mistaken, there was some nice machine gun action in the paug.  :rockout:
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

ytowndan

That had to have been awkward for Fish.  Just sitting backstage watching/listening to your band encore without you.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

DoW

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 27, 2013, 01:22:29 AM
That drummer had very obviously never listed to possum.

Nor should he even have gotten on stage to begin worh
I respect you to the millionth degree but that drummer is absolutely sick.
listen to this recording
https://archive.org/details/bdm2013-09-14.dpa4011-sbd.flac16

should he have played with Phish, maybe not.  but should phish be able to handle outside musicians better, definitely.

I'm not very sober so if I am an ass, so be it.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

DoW

Quote from: jasonsobel on October 27, 2013, 01:01:49 AM
yeah, this show was awesome.  the highlight for me was "Drowned > Light", but really, all of set 2 fantastic.  The Mike's was great too.

also, Kenwood Dennard.  If anyone is interested in checking out more stuff from Kenwood, be sure to check out this:
https://archive.org/details/clubdelf2005-11-03.m200.flac16

:crazy:

Fish came on and started Boogie On.  Then, just a minute into it (not exact timings), Kenwood came out, and they switched mid-song, seamlessly.  then Fish came out in between Boogie On and Possum and introduced Kenwood, but then left the stage again and didn't play.
nice seeing you tonight even if it was brief.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: pcr3 on October 27, 2013, 01:27:18 AM

You're not getting your money back for your better half's ticket,  :wtu:

;) I don't think she'll need it. I thoiiinnnkk she enjoyed the show. Not really sure.... She's pretty much just pissed at me for being a complete Debbie downer tonight. Which I was. I blame da pheesh

Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

Didn't mean to disrespect that drummer or his previous accomplishments.

To be honest, I've never heard of him before and am unfamiliar with his music.

What I do know, is that there was no need for him to step on stage, completely unrehearsed with phish tonight. I felt that just made phish look unprofessional and it made him look embarrassing

It takes no music expert to see that that sit in was a train wreck. Dude didn't even realize he was playing possum at the completely wrong drum feel. Dude was oblivious to anything musical
Bring in the dude!

antelope19

Rowjimmy enjoying shows and wtu spewing the hate? What is going on around here lately?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment