News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07-08-2014 Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, Pa - Post Show Discussion

Started by GBL, July 09, 2014, 12:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBL

Set I: Axilla I, Gumbo > Taste, 555, Tube, Halfway to the Moon, Camel Walk, Sparkle, Halley's Comet > It's Ice, Ocelot, Walls of the Cave

Set II: 46 Days, Fuego > The Line, BDTNL > Tweezer -> Ghost > 2001 > Hood > Tweezer reprise

E: Possum
If this is love, I'm never going home..

emay

this show kinda reminds me of alpharetta 2011
thought they would bring the heat for the crowd that stuck it out through the storm, but no go.

will give it a solid listen tomorrow though.
nothing that exciting from the stream
tweezer > ghost > 2001> hood > tweeprise would be fun there

GBL

emay

^ wasnt too impressed by the spac one missed this one on the stream so ill give it a listen tomorrow

JPhishman

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

justjezmund

Tonight looked fun, stuff i heard sounded pretty cool.  Pumped for tomorrow.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

rowjimmy

GBL

McGrupp

^ Yeah, it was. Almost ruined the show for me.

Thanks to some friends I was able to make it down to the pit for tonight. I was faced and it was a blast. It felt like Phish was playing in my living room. The sound in that ampitheater is really remarkable. Especially up close.

As for the music, there were definitely astounding moments (FUEGO) but, I found myself cringing a lot. The band sounded sloppy, loose. Most flubs were visibly laughed off, but that didn't fix them.

Overall I walked away from the show feeling like the boys got away with things they shouldn't have. The ~~>> ghost was really brutal to watch (trey's fault), as was It's Ice, Camel Walk, etc. Having said that, and it seems to be the running theme with the past few tours, the good moments were really good.

I'll be back in the pit for round 2 tomorrow. I'm hoping for a better performance and expecting another insanely fun night.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Another really awkward looking show.  I'm interested to hear the Fuego, and the botched Tweezer -> Ghost. 

Choice nugs tour continues...
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

roggae

Clearly it's all awful.

Igbo

Agree with Mcgrupp. There were some moments for sure. Tube, Halfway to the Moon, Fuego!!!  But I felt the rest was sloppy. The latter half of second set from Tweezer on should've been hot fire. It was frustratingly tepid.

I had fun.

sophist

Fuego 7/8/14

The Second Ride:

~> slam into the piano intro out of 46 Days. 

Composition section + chorus
About the same as SPAC version.  I'll grant them, this one has that sound meant for arenas, and amphitheaters.  Composition section is pretty simple, despite it coming off like an "epic" sounding like Rush meets Genesis Gabriel era power ballad.  I still hold the chorus chanting to be of the highest level of cheese dickery, even for Phish standards.  If I see this live, I would use the composition section and whale jam to hit the head, and get back for the jam. 

Dying Whales section
smooth drop into the time signature change.  The dissonance with the page chords is also cool, some more patience by Trey for round II.  You know, for a composed whale jam, he follows it pretty much note for note.  Not much if any variation in this section.  Tempo is a little faster here than SPAC. 

Return to "EPCOT" 
the little riff-y build up always seems to generate some "energy."  It's played fine.  Harmonies sound passable.  They'll never touch the magic of the album harmonies live, which kinda sucks.  Lyrics, still bore me. 

TYPEZ II.3.0.075
Outro and beginning of the jam.  Little more zeal out the gate.  Same structure, melody and variation interplay by Trey and Page.  Chordal structure remains loose, as we hear the set up of loops just like the SPAC version.  Whale-y leads are some what in check.  He's not dropping anything cringing.  It's just lacking spark.  It's a shame, the chord structure, with the Trey of old could in my opinion, produce some mind fucking runs. 

Loops and "noise" sound as if we are heading to that same Tahoe-y Tweezer vamp like the SPAC version.  So far, the blue prints are aligned with SPAC.
We hit minor territory quick.  Still melody and variation.  Page and Mike letting the space of the music air out. 

Some noodling over this minor vamp.   

Trey quick to get to the chord vamping

I'm hearing a lot of the same ideas as the SPAC version

Page is trying to push it somewhere. 

Transition into that major Key Tahoe Tweezer "theme" 

Holy shit.  No fucking way, no fucking way.  Doing the same build up with the trills.  I'm not buying this.  You have to be fucking kidding me?  They've recycled the same jam, pretty much style for style here.  It's taking longer to peak it.  But this is the same section as the SPAC version.   

I'm sorry.  But I seriously question anyone that finds validity in this.  Recycled to a fucking point of redundancy.  This is literally the same fucking jam.  Same format.  Same style.  Same build to the RAWK PEAK. 

Proper build to the Trills.  Same syncopation as the SPAC version as they build this up. 

okay, getting a little weird.  some variation before the RAWK PEAK. 

OH.  No RAWK PEAK, drops into the Line.  meh. 

Okay, I stand corrected.  Some variation from SPAC, like 10%-15%

Onto Tweezer -> Ghost
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

Tweez jam

sounds fine.  Some nice chordal work by Trey.  Kinda RAWK-y on the lead.  Interesting little minor theme he plays around with to build this to the peak.  Trey very quick to try to peak this.  Pretty sloppy lead playing.  lots of sour notes.  What the fuck is up with the overuse of the octave trills?  Especially if he can't stay in key. 

Oh Dear God. 

What a fucking horrid segue that was.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Like HOLY FUCK.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I genuinely am so blown away by how forced that was.  That was incredibly un-smooth.  That felt like walking in on my dad masturbating, and he doing nothing to cover it up or hide it- just leaving it out there.  That level of uncomfortable. 

breakdown section flubbed again.  They really need to start counting that pause out loud.  Trey is always hitting a beat early. 

Ghost jam jumps right to same "chordal" jamming.  This one takes off quickly.  Tempo picks up.  Some cool stuff by Page. 

Lots of sour chords by Trey as he transitions to the whale.  Same little variation with minor 5ths that we get in modern Ghosts.  Quick to hit major key territory again, too.  12/31/10'd.  If it wasn't so rushed, this could and would be a lot more interesting.  ADD jamming, pretty much.  Way to spastic to develop anything of significance.  12/31/10 trills make an appearance.  12/31/10 Peak too. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Granted, I just rolled through the choice nugs of this show, and 7/3, and 7/5 (I've listened to all of 7/1 and 7/4).  But I haven't seen one new theme or original idea through 5 shows, which is pretty disconcerting.  Lots of recycled "improvised" ideas being implemented. 

chin up to those going back tonight, it can only get better.