News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Greensky Bluegrass

Started by Undermind, March 09, 2015, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undermind

I figured this was a good way to start a Greensky thread on here, and also wish I could go!!!!

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

Undermind

Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Superfreakie

While I enjoy bluegrass, I did not enjoy the Phish Vegas After Party at the Bowl this past fall. I should probably give them another chance, but I found their sound quite abrasive. Needed some low tones.   
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Undermind

Quote from: Superfreakie on March 13, 2015, 10:19:17 AM
While I enjoy bluegrass, I did not enjoy the Phish Vegas After Party at the Bowl this past fall. I should probably give them another chance, but I found their sound quite abrasive. Needed some low tones.

try this one out...Also, I personally have a tough time adjusting to any music other then Phish after a Phish show.

sls.stormyrider

listening to a show now that I d/l from bt last night.
The recording is mediocre, but the music is pretty good.

If you like these guys check out the Infamous Stringdusters and Cabinet, if you haven' already
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

emay

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/greensky-bluegrass-punishes-wednesday-night-slackers-with-bust-outs-all-grateful-dead-set/

QuoteGreensky Bluegrass Punishes Wednesday Night Slackers With Bust Outs, All Grateful Dead Set

pretty epic

Greensky Bluegrass at the Domino Room in Bend, OR 11/4/15 Setlist:

Set One: Letter to Seymour, Grow Bananas, Last Winter in the Copper Country, Demons, Crying Holy, Reverend, Clinch Mountain Backstep, Less Than Supper, Ground Hog, Windshield

Set Two: Casual Wednesday>Eyes of the World, Black Muddy River, Mr Charlie, Friend of the Devil, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, Cassidy>Cryptical Envelopment>The Other One>Cassidy

Encore: Ripple

Gundo

This is just me but I've grown so tired of the hype that comes whenever a "jam" group does GD covers. It's almost just gimmicky at this point. Doesn't help that I don't particularly care for these guys either. Ever since Yonder disbanded I've been trying to find my new favorite jamgrass group and these guys just didn't do it for me when I saw them live.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on November 05, 2015, 03:16:46 PM
http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/greensky-bluegrass-punishes-wednesday-night-slackers-with-bust-outs-all-grateful-dead-set/

QuoteGreensky Bluegrass Punishes Wednesday Night Slackers With Bust Outs, All Grateful Dead Set

pretty epic

Greensky Bluegrass at the Domino Room in Bend, OR 11/4/15 Setlist:

Set One: Letter to Seymour, Grow Bananas, Last Winter in the Copper Country, Demons, Crying Holy, Reverend, Clinch Mountain Backstep, Less Than Supper, Ground Hog, Windshield

Set Two: Casual Wednesday>Eyes of the World, Black Muddy River, Mr Charlie, Friend of the Devil, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, Cassidy>Cryptical Envelopment>The Other One>Cassidy

Encore: Ripple

They played Eyes when I saw them in September and killed it imo.
I loved the stripped down version and they jammed it out for awhile.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

JPhishman

Psyched to see these guys tonight and Saturday. 3 night run in Portland. Best in their genre right now and it's not close IMO. Yonder is still the bigger name but GSBG is taking over.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

Caravan2001

I  might go.  My friend is their manager, so it would be nice to see him, but I'll probably bail in the end lol.

Undermind

Quote from: JPhishman on November 05, 2015, 09:03:21 PM
Psyched to see these guys tonight and Saturday. 3 night run in Portland. Best in their genre right now and it's not close IMO. Yonder is still the bigger name but GSBG is taking over.

completely agree.... I saw the Stringdusters for the first time last Sunday, and while I enjoyed them alot I came away wanting to see Greensky LOL.   They bring the jams.  I feel bad for EdBanky...

rowjimmy

Quote from: Undermind on November 05, 2015, 11:40:53 PM
  I feel bad for EdBanky...

Me too.

Grateful Dead is the core canon for bands that jam. It is important when those bands touch on that material. It's not as if they are booking tours based on it like some other groups. And honestly, even if they were, big fucking deal. Truth is, most groups don't have the chops to write material half as good as that stuff. A good song is more than just some hot picking.

Hicks

I'm with EdBanky, it's almost as if people are getting to the point where they don't know how to throw down and party unless there is a GD soundtrack. 

The GD50 this summer was cool, but stop humping the carcass already.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Undermind

Quote from: Hicks on November 06, 2015, 01:11:34 AM
I'm with EdBanky, it's almost as if people are getting to the point where they don't know how to throw down and party unless there is a GD soundtrack. 

I really don't think Greensky should be dissed for playing one set of GD out of like 150 shows this year.  This was to reward fans that showed up for an undersold Wednesday show.  Also I think they should get some credit for taking the huge diss they got earlier this year in stride, when they were prepared to play Eyes of the World to the biggest audience of their career and shitty bands like bisco got to play 2 songs.

Hicks

Quote from: Undermind on November 06, 2015, 07:13:32 AM
Quote from: Hicks on November 06, 2015, 01:11:34 AM

I really don't think Greensky should be dissed for playing one set of GD out of like 150 shows this year.  This was to reward fans that showed up for an undersold Wednesday show.  Also I think they should get some credit for taking the huge diss they got earlier this year in stride, when they were prepared to play Eyes of the World to the biggest audience of their career and shitty bands like bisco got to play 2 songs.

Yeah I don't really know shit about Greensky, I was more talking about how I think there is a general trend of more and more GD tribute acts out there.  Personally I'd like to see more original music rather than yet another rehash, but it seems that this is what people want. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.