News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/28 - Austin360 Amphitheater - Austin, TX - Post-Show Discussion

Started by runawayjimbo, July 29, 2015, 01:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

07-28-2015
Austin360 Amphitheater
Austin, TX

I: Party Time, Free, Halley's Comet, Wolfman's Brother, Possum*, Lawn Boy, Bouncing Around the Room, Water in the Sky, Dirt^, Devotion to a Dream, Sugar Shack, Run Like an Antelope

II: 46 Days -> The Dogs -> 46 Days > Piper > Ghost > Shade, Gotta Jibboo, Waiting All Night, Blaze On, Wading in the Velvet Sea, David Bowie, Suzy Greenberg > Tweezer Reprise

E: Loving Cup

* Page and Trey shoutouts to Trey's "homecoming"
^ LTP 2013-10-25 (60 show gap)

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Caravan2001

anthrax

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

blatboom

rowjimmy

The show is song-y & has some Trey flubs. It's not terrible though.
He messes on some early bit of Antelope, for example, but then he pulls together some interesting melodic leads on the middle part that are worth it.

Dallass will get smoked.

mattstick

The jam/stuff/generic 3.0 ambient space between 46 Days and Piper was my fave.

Gumbo72203

So this show had some really fucking fantastic stuff, but also some really meh stuff. 

That 46 Days sandwich was absolutely outstanding.  And the Ghost....   that Ghost had a shot at top-5 of 3.0 status, but they couldn't keep it together.  That power-rock riff theme that Trey came up with was absolutely slamming, and then he looped that higher note over top and it was awesome, but then the whole thing just disintegrated out of nowhere.  They tried to come back to it, but....  it was gone.  It's such a cool riff though. 

I like Shade.  I don't know why.  I'm a sucker for the cycling vocals thing they do.  Fell asleep during the Jibboo jam, and wake up to find a whole lot more songs played that set, haha weird. 

I don't like sets like this though, because they drop all the "big jam songs" but don't actually give them any big jams.  Another show where nothing cracked the 12 minute mark. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

runawayjimbo

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

emay

Havent listened to any of this show yet, doesn't look that good on paper.

Apparently Dirt was for Harris Wittels (parks and rec producer), Mike posted a pic with him in a Harris/Phish shirt

sophist

So far, I think the really only consistent thing about this tour is the incredibly shitty first sets.  My god.  At this point, I am kinda tempted to wait in the lot until set break this weekend.   :evil:  :roll:  :frustrated:

This is another one where they gain and lose momentum within a blink of the eye.  I'm left wondering if they are winging it?  And no setlist is written out?  Because on paper, I would just have to think, there is no fucking way all of four of them see this on a page and think its a good idea. 

Again, the playing is fine.  It's just really boring to me.  I don't think there music is interesting enough to play it the same way every time.  Especially the new songs, they aren't good enough for that. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

JPhishman

Live for Live Music's recap describes The Bouncing/Water in the Sky combo as, "both enjoyable first set rockers." I believe I'll be getting my recaps elsewhere from now on.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

PIE-GUY

Quote from: JPhishman on July 29, 2015, 11:19:51 AM
Live for Live Music's recap describes The Bouncing/Water in the Sky combo as, "both enjoyable first set rockers." I believe I'll be getting my recaps elsewhere from now on.

LOL.

As for the lost momentum, I think Trey is trying to do like the Dead and have "tender" moments with slow emotional tunes. He may be swinging and missing, but that's what he's going for, IMO.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul