News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Dead & Company Fall Tour/Halloween/NYE Run

Started by emay, August 24, 2015, 04:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcr3

I got there during Sugaree due to a combination of familial obligations, traffic, and a startling lack of parking available anywhere near the venue after the show had started. I agree with  :wtu: that there was nothing mindblowing, though I also enjoyed that little liftoff during UJB. However, I actually enjoyed the way that Mayer was playing off of Bobby throughout the night. I think he deserves some credit for learning a lot of music that he is not that familiar with, unlike some of these other lead players in Dead-related bands who have been listening to this stuff for decades.

Anyhow, I had fun at the show. It helps that I was miracled the day before and did not have high expectations going in. Now, if I had to have paid even face for the show, I might've been sightly disappointed afterward. Without Phil, I think Bobby is the alpha, and I think we all know what that means as far as the "jamz" are concerned...
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

emay

After listening to some Dead & Co and now these Fare Thee Well boards, I always thought Kreutzman's playing was "loose" to kinda let mickey fill in, but its almost so loose and slow hes like off beat or barely holding the band together, he seems like hes either missing a beat or falling behind.

WhatstheUse?

Yeah, I would say his old style of playing was loose, in the best way possible.

Now it's so loose it's kinda falling apart.
Bring in the dude!

Caravan2001

Quote from: PGLHAH on November 07, 2015, 10:30:14 PM
...and they lost me.

FUCKING DRUMS!! EVERY FUCKING NIGHT WITH THIS SHIT!!!!!!! :tte: :frustrated: :frustrated: :tte: :tte: :samurai: :samurai: :frustrated: :frustrated: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

Crazy...It's my favorite part.  It was unreal at Chicago, real highlights for me.  To each their own I guess.  Oddly enough, I never cared for it at all when I went to actual GD shows and almost always went to the bathroom or something.  In Chi, I was firmly planted where I was hanging on every beat, and really enjoyed them on the AMEX stream.  If I am listening to a GD show though, I almost always skip D/S.....

emay

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 12, 2015, 01:29:36 PM
...and they lost me.

FUCKING DRUMS!! EVERY FUCKING NIGHT WITH THIS SHIT!!!!!!! :tte: :frustrated: :frustrated: :tte: :tte: :samurai: :samurai: :frustrated: :frustrated: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

Crazy...It's my favorite part.  It was unreal at Chicago, real highlights for me.  To each their own I guess.  Oddly enough, I never cared for it at all when I went to actual GD shows and almost always went to the bathroom or something.  In Chi, I was firmly planted where I was hanging on every beat, and really enjoyed them on the AMEX stream.  If I am listening to a GD show though, I almost always skip D/S.....

Everytime I see it during The Dead, I always wonder if I followed the Dead, how many hours I would have spent a tour just wandering the hallways or in the bathroom during Drums/Space since that is what I did during D/S for most the Dead recreated groups.

mehead

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 12, 2015, 01:29:36 PM
...and they lost me.

EXACTLY how I feel.  Back during the GD shows I may have stuck around for a few but thats it.  But now, with these shows, it's actually the part I'm looking forward to the most.  Totally different 20+ years later, obviously.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

WhatstheUse?

Drums and Space kicked ass in Worcester. Oteil on a third set!

although, I can't exactly tell what is a pre-recorded loop playing behind them and what is real...
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

Looked to me, in Chicago, like Mickey was creating loops on the fly like Keller Williams (among others) does...

birdman

The way they do drums now it's like going to a club. Deadtronica. I'm a huge fan. I was thinking in Worcester the the other night that I could listen listen to two sets of nothing but drums.
Paug FTMFW!

sunrisevt

Quote from: birdman on November 12, 2015, 05:22:03 PM
The way they do drums now it's like going to a club. Deadtronica. I'm a huge fan. I was thinking in Worcester the the other night that I could listen listen to two sets of nothing but drums.

I find the Neal Casal setbreak jams compelling in an odd way, too.

I'm not prepared to explain it just yet, but it has something to do with an unhurried, no-fuss approach to the sonic palette and exploratory sensibility of  :syf:  music, full of gestures towards more recent music influenced thereby.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

WhatstheUse?

Deadtronica. LoL.

Definitely an accurate description. I was totally digging it, as well as the tapping stuff Mayer was doing in the space section...

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 12, 2015, 05:03:24 PM
Looked to me, in Chicago, like Mickey was creating loops on the fly like Keller Williams (among others) does...

Aha... That makes sense... could've been that happening. 

What's the instrument called he uses for that?
Bring in the dude!

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Hicks

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 12, 2015, 06:57:09 PM

Deadtronica. LoL.

Definitely an accurate description. I was totally digging it, as well as the tapping stuff Mayer was doing in the space section...

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 12, 2015, 05:03:24 PM

The Beam maaaaaaan. 

Did not look like any DAT was involved while watching the webcast.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 12, 2015, 06:57:09 PM

The Beam

ETA. I see Hicks beat me to it.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

pcr3

The beam used to shatter my world when I was much younger. Now, I look forward to it.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3