News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Dead & Company Fall Tour/Halloween/NYE Run

Started by emay, August 24, 2015, 04:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfreakie

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on November 17, 2015, 06:18:55 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on November 17, 2015, 05:40:15 PM
Lots of sandy vaginas in this thread. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The large sac of mushrooms I downed throughout the show might have had something to do with it, but if I thought it was one of the greatest shows I have ever seen, then it was one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. Sorry for partying?  :rawk:

My man and that's why we're friends.

Indeed. (admittedly, I was a tripping mess by the end of the night. Religious epiphanies during Ripple as time became elastic in not a good way......you know when everything starts to slooooowww doooown....and the vocals eventually turn to mud, and everyone begins to melt into the ground.)

Anyway, glad you had a good time Ramz.  :rawk:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 18, 2015, 05:57:02 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on November 17, 2015, 06:18:55 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on November 17, 2015, 05:40:15 PM
Lots of sandy vaginas in this thread. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The large sac of mushrooms I downed throughout the show might have had something to do with it, but if I thought it was one of the greatest shows I have ever seen, then it was one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. Sorry for partying?  :rawk:

My man and that's why we're friends.

Indeed. (admittedly, I was a tripping mess by the end of the night. Religious epiphanies during Ripple as time became elastic in not a good way......you know when everything starts to slooooowww doooown....and the vocals eventually turn to mud, and everyone begins to melt into the ground.)

Anyway, glad you had a good time Ramz.  :rawk:

Sounds similar to my experience the last time I was hanging with your brothers in law.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: sophist on November 18, 2015, 09:30:00 AM
"play from your fucking heart"  -Bill Hicks

That's all I could think last night in regard to John Mayer.  I think the guy is a phenomenal guitarist.  He is the epitome of an excellent student of music.  His ability to comprehend the complicated nuances of Jerry Garcia's guitar playing far surpasses anyone I have seen in that slot (and before all the Trey apologists coming running in here all butt hurt and defensive - I don't think Trey qualifies in this comparison because he never tried to sound like Garcia).  Mayer has an excellent command of his instrument.  From double finger tapping weird ass arpeggios in Slipknot, to comp'ing some incredible chords for Jeff and Oteil to play on top of as he sits comfortably in a pocket.  To straight nailing difficult passages of ascension up and down the fret board.  He can do it, and at times it taps into the uncanny sound of the original Jedi.  From a technical standpoint, he's a perfect fit.  He can move a crowd like few well versed front man.  I haven't seen energy like that (excluding FTW) ever at a post Jerry show.  The crowd was fucking sucking at his tit.  And juicy wads of mayer musical cum were dousing the audience left and right.  He had them in the palm of his hand.  Weir knows this.  Mickey knows this.  Bill knows this. 

The show was well played.  It was well received.  I got responsibly high (as in I got high enough to remove my ego and let the music in).  I liked it.  But I also walked away thinking the guy with all these going well in this band, he doesn't play from the heart.  He plays to the crowd, and what he thinks the crowd wants to hear.  And it's a hat tip to him in being able to understand the music of the dead that well to do this.  You can tell this guy has spent 100's of hours diving into the Grateful God Damn Dead.  But with all of that time, I think he missed the most rudimentary and fundamental component of the dead - sincerity.  Garcia could roll his balls out on stage with a mac truck and take down 50k people on an epic night, and then the next night look like he had been neutered and left to be size shamed by the crowd.  That type of honesty speaks way more volume than any level of musical proficiency.  I don't think Mayer grasps that type of vulnerability.  Perhaps because he's never suffered in the sense Garcia has (which for Mayer may be more of a blessing than a curse) and to me it really showed.  I paid $120 for my ticket.  I don't regret that.  I'd go again and I'd probably pay around that again for a really good seat.  For what may seem like a lot of negativity, I also have a lot of perspective that it is still a hell of a lot better than 90% of the music out there in my opinion.   

Solid review, glad you had a good time.

You pretty much articulated my same thoughts.

Mayer sounds like he's playing what he thinks the audience wants to hear (and is doing a good job of that) but I'm not sure he's playing from his heart.

Also.... this....

Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

emay

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 20, 2015, 10:32:28 AM
That's an amusing interview.

This one is a little more dead-centric:
https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmmusic/john-mayer-talks-to-tales-from-the-golden-road-host-gary-lambert-about-dead-company-gig

all this sounds good....I think hes having a lot of fun on this tour and being in this role, im interested to see what he takes away from this tour and if he absorbs any of these aspects to his music. When he mentioned his album he almost sounded disdainful when he said oh its kind more poppy popular music...

WhatstheUse?

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmmusic/john-mayer-talks-to-tales-from-the-golden-road-host-gary-lambert-about-dead-company-gig

that was a pretty good interview. Ironically he talks about following/playing from his heart haha
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 20, 2015, 01:46:39 PM

that was a pretty good interview. Ironically he talks about following/playing from his heart haha

He's just saying what you want to hear.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

emay

Lifeboy

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mattstick

Ummm. Typo?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7326306/john-mayer-grateful-dead-company-interview

Weir, meanwhile, spoke about a cosmic, out-of-body vision he had at the end of last year's tour, and then a subsequent dream, that indicated Dead & Company could even outlive some of its primary members.

"We were playing...and suddenly I was viewing this from about 20 feet behind my head, and I looked over at John from that piont of view and it was 20 years later and John was almost fully gay. I looked over at Oteil and his hair was white. I looked over to my left and Jeff's hair was all gray." And when he looked to where he, Hart and Kreutzmann would be, "it was new guys, younger guys holding forth, doing a great job...playing with fire and aplomb....It changed my whole view of what it is that we're up to. I find myself wondering, 'Well, what are they gonna be saying about this new approach or this honoring of this tradition? What are they gonna be saying about that in 200 or 300 years at the Berklee School of music?' That's the kind of stuff that goes through my head now because this legacy here, there's a chance now that they'll be talking about us in years to come. So I find it incumbent on myself to think in those terms."

rowjimmy

Hilarious typo aside, I predicted the legacy of Grateful Dead bands passing into future generations back in the 90s.
Kind of glad to see it happening.