News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Dead & Company Fall Tour/Halloween/NYE Run

Started by emay, August 24, 2015, 04:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Well, it hasn't happened yet... I just don't know if a GD cover band without Bobby, lead by John Mayer, would be something that could draw.

If you'd predicted that John Mayer would be leading the way, that would have been really impressive.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on April 08, 2016, 10:46:55 AM

Well, it hasn't happened yet... I just don't know if a GD cover band without Bobby, lead by John Mayer, would be something that could draw.

If you'd predicted that John Mayer would be leading the way, that would have been really impressive.

Didn't predict Mayer, that's for sure. Even if I had, I'm not sure I'd admit it.

It's too soon to see if my vision plays out but it's certainly on track.
JRAD (whatever you think of them) is an example.
People (Russo) who've played with elements of the real deal carrying the torch to new generations and giving the repertoire their own spin is what I'd imagined. Circles 'Round The Sun promises to be another such thing. I think Phil & Friends will, in time, prove to be a significant contribution to this sort of thing, given all the players he's worked with. I don't see it as one band, the way Bobby did in his dream, I see it as a growing army of adherents spreading the gospel.

mattstick

Right, I guess similarly, the JGB still tour.

Phil & Friends is an interesting idea, I don't really see that being able to continue on after Phil though.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on April 08, 2016, 10:54:31 AM

Phil & Friends is an interesting idea, I don't really see that being able to continue on after Phil though.

As I was trying to suggest, it's not about that band continuing. It's about the people who have moved across that stage over the past 17 years carrying on with the spirit and the material.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sunrisevt

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 08, 2016, 11:46:53 AM
Quote from: mattstick on April 08, 2016, 10:54:31 AM

As I was trying to suggest, it's not about that band continuing. It's about the people who have moved across that stage over the past 17 years carrying on with the spirit and the material.

Phil's said a lot of similar things in the last 20 years, too. I think I'm mostly remembering interviews from the early aughts, when he was getting started with the P&F thing?
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sls.stormyrider

People are doing Monk, Miles, and Coltrane tributes.

there is no reason why they shouldn't continue doing GD tributes. I would be surprised if they didn't
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

susep

Quote from: slslbs on April 08, 2016, 02:51:01 PM
People are doing Monk, Miles, and Coltrane tributes.

there is no reason why they shouldn't continue doing GD tributes. I would be surprised if they didn't

well said Steve. 

mattstick

I think what RJ is saying, and what's maybe more unique is that the GD stuff going forward could have more of a "Grateful Dead Family" connection, where guys who played in bands with the founding members of The Grateful Dead will be the ones who form bands and pass along those vibes to future heads.

Really though... when is HoloJerry making an appearance?

sls.stormyrider

right
there clearly is a Miles "family" connection
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

jam>

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 11, 2016, 09:52:30 PM
Interesting vocal choices here...

https://youtu.be/MoatcSVg_sE?t=2m11s

Worse than Donna??

Now I kinda hope he comes in with the Donna catterwaul as they finish up a big "Playin'" jam this summer!

https://youtu.be/3vfRwxB249E?t=16m42s
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

Quote from: PGLHAH on May 11, 2016, 11:09:31 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 11, 2016, 09:52:30 PM
Interesting vocal choices here...

https://youtu.be/MoatcSVg_sE?t=2m11s

Worse than Donna??

Now I kinda hope he comes in with the Donna catterwaul as they finish up a big "Playin'" jam this summer!

https://youtu.be/3vfRwxB249E?t=16m42s

It blows my mind that she did that for years without anyone saying "Hey Donna, you know that 'woah-ah-woah-ah yeah' thing you do in Playing?     Don't."
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.