News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fall Tour: 2000

Started by WhatstheUse?, June 23, 2016, 10:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

I've been using my rediculous amount of car time this Phish tour to work through Fall 2000 chronologically. I've heard them all before, but most escape me.

So, who was there? What'd you see? How was?!

I'm through 9/22/00 so far. My initial thoughts are that Trey and Page sound high as a kite this tour. Both of them are just off in space/fx land for the majority of the big jams. It's all primarily Mike and Fishman holding it down with trippy loops and pads behind them. Some of these Piper and Sand jams so far are just bass/drums with FX atop!

Some quick thoughts before diving deep - Tour starts out roooouugghhh. Those Albany shows are kind of a shit show technically speaking. I sure as hell dig a 'Mellow Mood' tour opener and they weren't kidding. The band is sounding mellow and loose.

But holy shit do they pick up steam for 9/14, 9/15, and 9/17. That LP release of 9/14 is warented. That show rips. As does most of 9/15 and 9/17. Space is the place....
Bring in the dude!

August

I did all of these except for 22, 23 & 24.
I actually really love the Bowie from 9/8.
The Chicago/MN run that you're on kinda marks the turning point for the Tour.
09/27 II is amazing and pretty much takes off from there minus 10/06.

tet

I only caught 9/25, which I thought was a really fun show.  Maybe a bit lower energy than Summer Tour, but still a good time. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

ytowndan

I caught 9/18 and enjoyed myself...even though I was pretty sick.  I really shouldn't have went in the first place, but I had no idea if/when I would get to see them again.  So I figured it wouldn't be so bad to just hit one local show.

I remember digging the Carini opener and loving the Halley's.  But that's about all I can recall.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Hicks

Went to 10/6/00, nice Stash and Antelope and it was cool to see Inlaw Josey Wales, Bold as Love and Mellow Mood, not a whole lot else. 

Sand, which was the longest jam of the show, kind of bored me to be honest.  Although I wouldn't see it again, not counting TAB, until 10/31/14! 

Bobby ruined the encore. 

The Piper > Guy Forget bonus footage on the Vegas DVD is the goods btw. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Hicks

Quote from: ytowndan on June 24, 2016, 12:27:03 AM
I caught 9/18 and enjoyed myself...even though I was pretty sick.  I really shouldn't have went in the first place, but I had no idea if/when I would get to see them again.  So I figured it wouldn't be so bad to just hit one local show.

I remember digging the Carini opener and loving the Halley's.  But that's about all I can recall.

If only Trey hadn't sharted during that Halley's it could have been the best version ever. 

Do yourself a favor and don't relisten to the Guelah from this show. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Hicks on June 24, 2016, 12:38:36 AM
Quote from: ytowndan on June 24, 2016, 12:27:03 AM

If only Trey hadn't sharted during that Halley's it could have been the best version ever. 

Do yourself a favor and don't relisten to the Guelah from this show.

Listened to 9/18 yesterday.

It's interesting to hear how they were attempting to jam Boogie as compared to now. Twists have also been nice this tour.... they basically just start the song by jamming on the progression before the lyrics... Setlist/Flow was a bit off for me upon re-listen in 9/18, but I'd sure love the random song placement. Axilla >Tast encore?!?!? what!
Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: August on June 23, 2016, 10:10:26 PM
I did all of these except for 22, 23 & 24.
I actually really love the Bowie from 9/8.
The Chicago/MN run that you're on kinda marks the turning point for the Tour.
09/27 II is amazing and pretty much takes off from there minus 10/06.

Damn, I did not realize you did all of that. Sick.

What were Trey and Page..... doing..... during those big jams? That 9/9 Sand went on and on w/ bass/drums and not much else.... I keep hearing these similar spacey jams and picture 'strung-out looking Trey from the Vegas DVD' playing with his pedals.

9/11 seemed like a fun one too w/ the Road runner opener. Stash got into a random bluesy shuffle feel. Piper got deep. the band was loose. Nearly too loose...

Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: tet on June 23, 2016, 10:26:19 PM
I only caught 9/25, which I thought was a really fun show.  Maybe a bit lower energy than Summer Tour, but still a good time.

The overall energy and pace of all these fall shows seems different than summer to me. There was still def a bunch of low-key-jammy shows is summer (japan)....

... But I've felt the US June run to have this big, major-y, 'Ol' Glory' sound/feel to the jams.... Trey used his loops/FX in a way to build this wall of sound that generally built up to a monstrous/loud peak ala the 6/28/00 Gin.

Then come fall, trey used his FX not necessarily to build to a peak, but just to get weird =/= he's high ...
Bring in the dude!

pcr3

I caught 9/9, 9/11, and 9/12.  I haven't gone back to listen to any of them in a while. What I remember:

9/9 was fun with all the Michael Ray shenanigans, but it felt kinda sleazy. Not sure how else to put it.

9/11 had a solid second set. This was where I first lost myself in the Piper vocals. Good times.

9/12 had the epic Fishman segment. He ran a lot of laps around the stage.

Now I feel obligated to listen to these shows again, as my memory of the music has faded. I think I haven't gone back because it felt like it was coming to an end at the time.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

cactusfan

i saw the last two shows at shoreline.

at that point i'd only seen them a handful of times over the years, so there were still a ton of songs i'd never seen live. the evening of 10/6, i said the two songs i'd most like to see for the first time at these two shows were carini and stash. so i was very happy instantly, and imagined the band was secretly reading my mind.

i had a blast at those shows, but i remember thinking they felt very 'professional,' let's say, like they played a lot of big songs, and played them well, but didn't really go anywhere very dangerous or new.

mistercharlie

I was at 9/22 & 9/23. Both were great shows. Trey and Page may have been high as kites but I was higher than a bats ass, so it all worked for me. 9/23 still stands out in my mind. Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown was one of my favorite openers I had the pleasure of seeing (topped by the Riverport Gin, of course).
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 24, 2016, 06:05:16 AM
I was at 9/22 & 9/23. Both were great shows. Trey and Page may have been high as kites but I was higher than a bats ass, so it all worked for me. 9/23 still stands out in my mind. Come On Baby Let's Go Downtown was one of my favorite openers I had the pleasure of seeing (topped by the Riverport Gin, of course).

I remember quite a bit about 9/23 as it was some of the finest liquid acid I'd ever done.    This show remains a sentimental favorite as the glowar during Stash, cascading down from the back of the Rosemont is the last time I remember a true, legit glowar.

The Piper and Tweezer were standard pre-hiatus versions.   The Scent was a rare treat for 2000.

Loved the show like I loved nearly all pre-hiatus shows but nothing really jumps out from this show 16 years or so later.

susep

I did 09/12.  Pretty solid show all around.  The DwD stood out esp after Trey's solo where he chords more and the jam is more collective.  Reminded of the Cypress version in that regard.  Solid Mike's Groove also.  Place was :rockout:

Although we did not make 09/11, love that Piper.  Big bass centric version. 

rowjimmy

I went to 9/17.
Second set was really great. The Mango > Jam is a keeper, iirc.

Pretty sure I went to that show with my then new wife and Igbo and his spouse. MPP lawn is not my jam, especially then when the slope was worse.