News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2016 Presidential General Election

Started by VDB, September 26, 2016, 05:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

Quote from: mbw on November 11, 2016, 01:16:41 PM
Quote from: emayPhishyMD on November 11, 2016, 01:07:11 PM
yeah starting to sound like a pretty racist and xenophobic country we live in. These trump supporters man......

https://medium.com/@seanokane/day-1-in-trumps-america-9e4d58381001#.ee3l6g3no

Along with a Saudi student at U of Wisconsin that got beaten to death last night for no apparent reason

no, there is no racism.  these people just like trumps health care plan.

As much as people would like to think that, I think it's time to get real.

ytowndan

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on November 11, 2016, 02:28:50 PM
yeah starting to sound like a pretty racist and xenophobic country we live in. These trump supporters man......

Along with a Saudi student at U of Wisconsin that got beaten to death last night for no apparent reason

It's really just about NAFTA and jobs, dudes.  Stop bringing race into this, you reverse racists. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mattstick

http://livebloggingmydescentintomadness.tumblr.com/post/152983646355/i-do-take-some-small-cold-bitter-satisfaction-in

I do take some small, cold, bitter satisfaction in one thing, and that's the fact that Trump is going to be absolutely fucking miserable for the next four years.

He's an entertainer and an attention whore, not a public servant. He wants to be on TV and in front of crowds, not actually working a difficult, grueling, stressful job he can't opt out of. He's going to have to sit through SO many meetings, be forced to read SO many briefings, get shoehorned into serious business all day every day, without crowds to perform for, and he's going to hate Every. Single. Minute.

And then, when he doesn't deliver on his promises, when he doesn't build the wall or create jobs or make people rich, when it becomes clear how incompetent and buffoonish he is, the country and all his supporters will turn on him. They're gonna start blaming him for everything, and those crowds that cheered for him are going to start booing. He'll be humiliated at every turn, and leave office with the lowest approval rating ever, and he'll be universally despised.

Because if he'd lost to Hillary, he would have played the martyr forever, called everything rigged, and had a cushy gig on Fox News complaining every day about how he would have done it better. But now he's going to have to actually WORK, he's going to be forced to deal with RESPONSIBILITIES, while surrounded by people who hate him and don't respect him, people vastly more intelligent and competent than him, and he will be exposed as a loser. And then, we'll fire him. He'll go down as the worst president in history. And he'll have no one to blame but himself.

I know this isn't much against the fear of what's going to happen, but friends, hear me. We are going to make Donald Trump's life a living nightmare, and I for one take immense pleasure from that.

westcider

and along the way, those of his supporters that actually are racist misogynistic etc terrible people will come out of the shadows  and expose themselves as such, making it much easier to deal with them

alcoholandcoffeebeans

I was totally caught off guard at the grocery last night...
I tend to eat pretty healthy, mostly proteins and veggies... most things I buy say organic on them and are bought because of the small list of ingredients.

checking out last night, after going to the gym, the guy behind me remarks, "you must be one of those feminist, liberal hippies... you must be super upset over the election. Too bad your lying lady just couldn't beat our good man." I expected something along the lines of 'O'Doyle rules' after that.
I stared at the checkout lady and thanked her for ringing me up, wished her a good night, and started to walk away. I then became the arrogant daddy's girl who does yoga and doesn't pay for anything when he thought I couldn't hear him.

maybe I just noticed it for the first time after reading all these horrible things in the past few days and people have always grumbled at me... or maybe it's never happened before. I don't know.
I'm now a super uncomfortable American... for everyone. I knew Ohio and I would eventually not see eye to eye... I just didn't expect it this soon.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

ytowndan

Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 10, 2016, 09:59:28 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on November 10, 2016, 09:25:43 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 10, 2016, 08:30:36 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on November 10, 2016, 06:00:26 PM
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/10/501610842/trump-team-promises-to-dismantle-dodd-frank-bank-regulations

Buckle up, people.  A shit storm is on the horizon.

Dodd-Frank hasn't been very effective IMO at getting to the root cause of the problems that contributed to the financial crisis. Like most wide sweeping regulation, that doesn't mean all components are bad, but, on balance, I think it's been a net drag. However, Trump has also suggested bringing back Glass-Steagall. Now, I don't personally believe G-S caused the crisis (I'm in the minority in that view, even with some very smart banking regulation people I know/follow), but if you could trade D-F for G-S, would you

It's not worth pondering, honestly.  I'll humor you and say that if we could keep the CFPB as it stands and reinstate GS, I might compromise there.  But it doesn't matter.  Who knows what that clown really wants to do and, in any case, Congress will never go along.  All they'll do is gut DF and move on to the next thing.  I mean, do you really see Congressional leadership holding a vote on a new and effective GS?

Sure, I could see something like Sherrod and Wyden or Warner working with any number of Republicans on the Senate Finace Committee - Grassley, Crapo, Portman, Toomey all come to mind - to get some kind of compromise that rolls back much of D-F in return for reinstatement of G-S. Putting that into practice is likely much harder to do. But if the ultimate goal of D-F is to end TBTF (which it absolutely does not do), G-S reinstatement would be a far more effective lever to pull and I don't know why they wouldn't go for it.

But here's what I find curious about your response: you say it doesn't matter cause it's not politically tenable. I don't fully disagree with that statement, but a couple of pages ago you were all fired up about the myriad of politically impossible policies a Trump administration would entail. Granted, these are all hypotheticals and yes we do not know what he is going to do and yes, the prospect of a single party gov't is terrifying to my independent ass. All I'm saying is it's not all shitstorms and baby carcasses. In fact, I'd argue the prospect for meaningful financial reform will be greater in Jan 2017 than it has been for a long time, in no small part because of the GOP pigheadish stubborness to cede any ground to this president (I'm sure we'd disagree on the reasons for that stubborness tho, but that's a whole nother story).

I made that post on election night, and I was highly emotional.  That being said, I'm only making excuses for the slightly obnoxious tone of it, not the list itself

So, I'll tell ya what...let's remember this conversation and every time Trump and the Republicans hit up my list, I'll give this a told-you-so-bump.  You go ahead and do the same every time Trump and the Republicans regulate the banks. 

(Looks like Medicare might be first on my list)

mbw

alcoholandcoffeebeans

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

ytowndan

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on November 11, 2016, 03:12:24 PM
I tend to eat pretty healthy, mostly proteins and veggies... most things I buy say organic on them and are bought because of the small list of ingredients.

checking out last night, after going to the gym, the guy behind me remarks, "you must be one of those feminist, liberal hippies... you must be super upset over the election. Too bad your lying lady just couldn't beat our good man." I expected something along the lines of 'O'Doyle rules' after that.
I stared at the checkout lady and thanked her for ringing me up, wished her a good night, and started to walk away. I then became the arrogant daddy's girl who does yoga and doesn't pay for anything when he thought I couldn't hear him.

maybe I just noticed it for the first time after reading all these horrible things in the past few days and people have always grumbled at me... or maybe it's never happened before. I don't know.
I'm now a super uncomfortable American... for everyone. I knew Ohio and I would eventually not see eye to eye... I just didn't expect it this soon.

Columbus and the Northeast metro areas are the only things keeping this shithole from becoming Alabama North.

VDB

Quote from: ytowndan on November 11, 2016, 02:35:46 PM

It's really just about NAFTA and jobs, dudes.  Stop bringing race into this, you reverse racists.

Not sure exactly who you guys are lampooning. Every thinking person who's weighed in on the election here and elsewhere freely acknowledges that there are a terrifying number ("a hell of a lot," if you prefer) of racists and bigots out there and a great many of them cast votes for Trump.
Is this still Wombat?

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: ytowndan on November 11, 2016, 03:27:02 PM

Columbus and the Northeast metro areas are the only things keeping this shithole from becoming Alabama North.

...yes. I'm learning. not that KY was/is any better. just feels more like home on that side of the river, still.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: VDB on November 11, 2016, 03:48:52 PM

Not sure exactly who you guys are lampooning. Every thinking person who's weighed in on the election here and elsewhere freely acknowledges that there are a terrifying number ("a hell of a lot," if you prefer) of racists and bigots out there and a great many of them cast votes for Trump.

The problem is, where previous Repub candidates have "dog whistled" some racist issues to appease the base, Trump used an NFL refs whistle that could be heard from the cheap seats.

That's really why these racists feel emboldened post-election.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

ytowndan

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on November 11, 2016, 03:50:59 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on November 11, 2016, 03:27:02 PM

...yes. I'm learning. not that KY was/is any better. just feels more like home on that side of the river, still.

Yeah, I hear you.  On the bright side, you're here now.  We can use all the sane and bright minds we can get!   :beers:

mbw

Quote from: VDB on November 11, 2016, 03:48:52 PM

Don't call bvaz a non-thinking person, jeez.  :wink: