News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2016-10-29 - MGM Grand Garden Arena - Las Vegas, NV

Started by ytowndan, October 30, 2016, 02:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

PHISH, SATURDAY 10/29/2016
MGM GRAND GARDEN ARENA
Las Vegas , NV

SET 1: The Birds, Kill Devil Falls, 555, Roggae, Gumbo, Lawn Boy, Wilson, Maze, Wingsuit, More

SET 2: Mercury > Piper > Scents and Subtle Sounds[1] > Tweezer > I Always Wanted It This Way[2], The Horse > Silent in the Morning > Golgi Apparatus

ENCORE: Shine a Light > Tweezer Reprise

[1] No intro.
[2] Trey on Marimba Lumina

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Caravan2001

Sick show imo.  If tbey can top this the next two days, then wow.

pcr3

So, I thought that was all kinds of awesome. 24 hour rule, did not actually attend, yadda yadda yadda.  :beers:
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

WhatstheUse?

Great show!

First jammed out gumbo in.... 10+ year? Scents!!!

And the majority of that second set was awesome. First jammed Mercury?

That new page tune is so goofy to me, but whatever, it brought the jams!

Bring in the dude!

Hicks

I tripped my nuts off at this show.   

It was worth it. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 30, 2016, 06:23:46 AM
Great show!

First jammed out gumbo in.... 10+ year? Scents!!!

And the majority of that second set was awesome. First jammed Mercury?

That new page tune is so goofy to me, but whatever, it brought the jams!

Welllllllllll, the Glens Falls and 12/29/13 versions of Gumbo had little jams at the end.  They were light, and not nearly as deliberate as last night's version, but I think you can count them as being jammed. 

Can't wait to get back into this; I caught the first set from Gumbo onward and then most of Mercury before I fell asleep, and then woke up during that awesome end section of Piper before Scents came in.  Maze was also VERY good.  Big, big peak there.  And I don't care that More is the new Character Zero, I'll take that song over it every time.  I actually dig More.  Trey shreds! 

Mercury is so good, I really want to know why Ezrin thought it wasn't up to snuff for Big Boat. 

EDIT:   Digging back in, this Mercury might be the best they've played yet, IMO.  The theme they had going in the 14th minute was super great, and really gave legs for a huge version, but it kind of just dies out randomly after that.  The part where Trey is playing the 3-over-2 phrase around 14:30 or so is especially great.  I really liked the music in the 30 seconds or so before Piper is forced upon the groove.  What a waste of a perfect segue.  You are the worst, sometimes, Trey. 

I seriously don't get why he rushes this stuff, rather than taking an extra 30 seconds, or god forbid, a full fucking minute, to bring the energy totally down, and smoothly transition into Piper.  Sometimes I want to hit you in the face, Trey.  That could have been a pairing for the ages!

Awwwwww Trey wasn't listening to Page!!!  At the end of Piper, when they're building for that last big peak, Page starts doing this sick chromatic crescendo rave-up on the piano and it builds to a perfect turn-around, but when the 1 comes, Trey just plays a muted chord, rather than going for the high release note.  That would have sealed it!  Still a very sick Piper, but this left some potential on the table I feel. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Caravan2001 on October 30, 2016, 02:42:49 AM
Sick show imo.  If tbey can top this the next two days, then wow.

I agree with this statement and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

The boys are building up to something big. So many cylinders.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Marmar

wasn't as impressed as I was with the first night.

still a good show, but it felt a lil disjointed at times.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

sunrisevt

Quote from: Hicks on October 30, 2016, 06:25:06 AM
I tripped my nuts off at this show.   

It was worth it.

Now, that's a review I think we all can believe in.   :beerbang:
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Marmar on October 30, 2016, 11:58:29 AM

There were plenty of joints.

emay

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 30, 2016, 03:30:51 PM
Quote from: Marmar on October 30, 2016, 11:58:29 AM

There were plenty of joints.

VDB

Fantastic show. I enjoyed it even more than night one.
Is this still Wombat?

WhatstheUse?

Tough for me to even pick which night I enjoyed more. Golden Age remains the best jam so far, but last night had highlights throughout.

Both were better than all 10 shows I saw this summer (other than maybe Hartford)

Even though none of those jams in the second set were super long, collectively between those first 4-5 songs, there felt like a lot of improv happenning. I liked that they took Mercury for a ride -- it def felt awkward at the start of it, or like... they didn't exactly know what to do with it, but that in itself was cool to watch them figure out on stage.

Only real negative comments is the Trey-Forces but that's nothing knew. Like Gumbo said, can't the dude just take 30 seconds to let the music settle/dissolve before starting the next song? He seems to have zero awareness or care for the 'flow' of things anymore. It's a shame!
Bring in the dude!

Gumbo72203

Pretty neat tho that they achieved legit lift-off 2 nights in a row.  Been a while since that's happened, I feel like. 

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

ytowndan

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 30, 2016, 04:28:08 PM
Tough for me to even pick which night I enjoyed more. Golden Age remains the best jam so far, but last night had highlights throughout.

My thoughts exactly. 

I'd also like to point out the pretty sweet song selection for the first sets so far. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.