News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Non-circulating shows

Started by jephrey, January 15, 2006, 01:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruloup13

I'm not not volunteering. :-D

Marmar

Quote from: jonyem on June 28, 2006, 11:02:09 AM
What sort of help do you need Marmar?
Never been an audio tester before, I'd love to help.

Well.....basically, you'll need 2 different playback systems......but we'll deal with that once I get everything here organized.....

1) Check tonal balance on your assigned playback systems......report any overshots/weakness
2) Check the tracking......
3) Check for glitches in the post-mastering/pre-finalization stage.....<<<<by far the most important...after listening to endless music doing the txfers and mastering, missing a glitch is very easy to do.....ears do fatigue.....
4) Listen for anything missed in the show notes....like if you recognize a song being teased, let us know! :banana:

That's about it.....you'll need the ability to playback 24/48 or higher resolutions......multiple night runs might end up on DVD media (aDVD-V or DVD-A) so testers with DVD-A players are good (hint-hint)  :phish:

Marmar
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Marmar

Quote from: bruloup13 on June 28, 2006, 11:21:50 AM
  I'm not not volunteering. :-D

I knew I couldn't not count on you...... :frustrated:

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

jephrey

I'd take on a few...

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sls.stormyrider

I can't play back 24/48 so you might need to scratch me off the list. If you need someone just for checking glitches, notes, etc then I would be happy to do it, taking into account above.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

jonyem

Count me in for notes and glitches and other things like that.
I'll be able to play from my computer and an audio DVD-V, and of course the good ol' fashioned CD-R.

jephrey

can't most computers play 24/48?  That's what I'm banking on...  Actually, I don't see why we haven't started trading 24/48 at large...  I don't know how many people still burn discs...

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

antelope19

Quote from: jonyem on June 28, 2006, 01:30:18 PM
Count me in for notes and glitches and other things like that.
I'll be able to play from my computer and an audio DVD-V, and of course the good ol' fashioned CD-R.
Quote from: jephrey on June 28, 2006, 02:05:43 PM
can't most computers play 24/48?  That's what I'm banking on...  Actually, I don't see why we haven't started trading 24/48 at large...  I don't know how many people still burn discs...

Jephrey

Jeez, talk about making a guy feel old and outdated......and I'm only 27. I guess its time to step it up a notch.   :-D
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

jephrey

haha, I'm older than 27...  Get with it man  :wink:

Jephrey

ps...  I used to bring my work laptop into my car and connect it to my car stereo...  I called it my iBMPod.  It was effective from after I chose not to burn CDs until I got the real thing.

antelope19

Quote from: jephrey on June 28, 2006, 04:19:52 PM
haha, I'm older than 27...  Get with it man  :wink:

Jephrey

ps...  I used to bring my work laptop into my car and connect it to my car stereo...  I called it my iBMPod.  It was effective from after I chose not to burn CDs until I got the real thing.

IBMPOd.......what will they think of next.  I am guessing the extra B and M stand for Badass Mofo.....or Blaring Music......or Bong.......... :-D
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Marmar

Quote from: jephrey on June 28, 2006, 02:05:43 PM

Jephrey

A computer can only playback what it can handle......

If you have an old ISA style SBAWE16 then yer shit outta luck... :evil:

*most* newer soundcards are all 24/48 capable......most onboard chipsets on mobo's are capable of 24/48.....

Don't rely on winamp to test if you can playback 24bit files  :-D It dithers and resamples the output to 16bit/44.1 if you can't play 24bit/48kHz or higher.....

When the time is right, I'll start asking the important questions.....like: What brand card is it.....how many channels......what brand speakers you're using.....what amp you have attached.....etc......Tet and mattstick can attest to how anal I get about these things....they were involved in the oldschool project.....I mean, if I know what kind of amp/speaker setup you're using I'll know if you'll be able to hear the 0.025db change that was made at 13347Hz......I'll also know if you can hear rumble.......etc.....

Its the things like that that I check and double check before I seed important stuff.....I mean I get VERY involved with the whole process.....I treat them as if I were working on these for official releases (check out 11-16-90, 11-24-90, 8-28-93.....you'll see what I mean).

jephrey

Just some prelim for me.  I'm on a mac.  Software wise I'm sure I can play the files 24/48.  I think even iTunes/QT will do it, but if not, I have Sound Studio, and Amadeus II which can.  as far as hardware I have an optical audio out which I think even goes to 192kHz (24 or 48bit?).  That's where I lose it...  I have nothing after that really.

1.  Do you always listen in a good room through speakers or is it acceptable if you have the proper headphones?

2.  I assume that the built-in headphone amp will not suffice.

3.  What's the least expensive optical > amp(5.1 decoding) that's reasonable?

Jephrey

jephrey

OK...

Even the analog out on my comp will play 48Khz/24bit through the headphone jack but I don't know that it's acceptable with a 24-ohm output impedance, 20-20kHz frequency response,0.5/-3.0dB, >90dB S/N ratio, and
< 0.01% total harmonic distortion.

Optical is up to 96kHz/24 bit, >130dB S/N ratio, and <0.00003% total harmonic distortion.

So, 1, is the headphone amp acceptable and can I use headphones(and what kind), 1a if I can't use headphones, can I run that output to another amp or will that be too distorted? and 2, if I have to go optical, what amp to use.

Jephrey

Marmar

All of the above are acceptable.....

The more different listening environments used the better......

There are a TON (literally) or acceptable 5.1 amps/recievers out there.......many of them are VERY reasonably priced.....

Using your computers headphone amp would be akin to listening on a walkman.....so that's ok.

Since I can't have my McIntosh set up here in this tiny appartment (I'd be blowing walls out), I went out and bought a consumer home system.....it's a Yamaha. I got the amp and 6 speakers (w.powered sub!) for about $320:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200043&CTID=5000800

Then I added a cheap 5 disc dvd-a changer:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001WV6ZU/ref=nosim/102-9462097-4692906?n=172282

to compliment the McIntosh dvd-a player I have:
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=19&cat=Sources&prodid=1094&product=MVP851

Amazingly...after testing it with a scope, its almost as accurate as my computer is.......now to answer specifically:

1.  Do you always listen in a good room through speakers or is it acceptable if you have the proper headphones?
Both.

2.  I assume that the built-in headphone amp will not suffice.
Never assume....most headphone amps are the same.....unless you get into control room headphone amps......

3. if I can't use headphones, can I run that output to another amp or will that be too distorted?
Certainly.....that's how I have the 5.1 out of my computer. I use my onboard SPDIF output to my 5.1 amp.......theres no distortion.....if you get distortion, then it's likely on the source  :-)

The key thing is when you are testing 5.1, you absolutely MUST have 5 identical speakers + sub.......for 2channel testing, anything will do.....

sophist

send all uncirculated shows to phan003

college student = too much free time, therefore he should be the # 1 tester  :wink:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!