News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2018-12-31 - Madison Square Garden, New York, NY - Post Show Discussion

Started by GBL, January 01, 2019, 01:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleech74

Cool. Thx for the feedback. After looking at the lyrics, that makes more sense now.
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: anthrax on January 03, 2019, 07:35:21 PM
Quote from: cleech74 on January 03, 2019, 03:27:17 PM
Not sure it's been mentioned here yet, but when I watched the Mercury>SANTOS vid, with the shimmering, silvery stuff, and the silver/gray balloons, it reminded me of actual Mercury. If you've ever broken a glass thermometer, the Mercury beads up into little droplets, silvery & mirror-like in color. Not sure if that was intentional, but it looked cool to me, aside from just being one of the better NYE gags in a while. If I'm stating the obvious, my bad. Killer run, for sure. Can't wait to see this band live again, hopefully sometime this coming year.

it was totally intentional.  if you dig into the lyrics of mercury, there was a lot of intentional things going on with that gag.  it had been in the works for months.  santos was just a late addition and i'm assuming the pizza/alien weirdness was added late too.

It's all right here:

but the net's unbreakable
so don't worry about falling
the voice that you ignore
might be your future calling
alone we're tossed about
like a bottle in the sea
but together we ascend
and only then escape this gravity
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

cleech74

"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 03, 2019, 11:39:27 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on January 03, 2019, 06:28:16 AM
From watching the NYE video I have a question...

Where there shirts in some of the balloons dropped from the rafters? It sure looks like shirts in them in the video.

It was like sheets of silvery stuff.

It was very cool visually, but all I could think of during that part was how much waste/landfill that all created.  I was about 10-15' from the stage and I was knee deep in plastic or whatever that was.  Maybe they found something eco to use, it was really flimsy, but it was bugging me during it all....

gah

Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 05, 2019, 03:11:32 AM

Where there shirts in some of the balloons dropped from the rafters? It sure looks like shirts in them in the video.

It was very cool visually, but all I could think of during that part was how much waste/landfill that all created.  I was about 10-15' from the stage and I was knee deep in plastic or whatever that was.  Maybe they found something eco to use, it was really flimsy, but it was bugging me during it all....

Dude. This is America. We're allowed to trash the world. It's our birthright.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Bobafett

Quote from: gah on January 05, 2019, 09:28:45 AM

Dude. This is America. We're allowed to trash the world. It's our birthright.

Shoot it into space, duh.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

mbw

I would think the band that used to use soy inks to print their newsletter would be conscious of this and use recyclable materials, but who knows.

Hicks

I mean you ever look around any Phish show after the band is done playing?

It's pretty much obscene amounts of plastic trash every time. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on January 05, 2019, 07:47:34 PM

Yeah.  It bugs the shit out of me.

sunrisevt

Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 05, 2019, 09:33:30 PM
Quote from: Hicks on January 05, 2019, 07:47:34 PM

Yeah.  It bugs the shit out of me.

Granted, and it bugs me too. But I will say that based on my personal experience, Phish fans are far more polite and socially/environmentally conscious than your average drunk/high concertgoer. (Bonnaroo comes to mind.)

Still, we first-world humans need to do a fuck of a lot better.

[edited for clarity]
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

rowjimmy

You can't defend Phish fans' environmental record until they do away with glow sticks.

There.

I said it.

sunrisevt

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 06, 2019, 02:15:09 AM
You can't defend Phish fans' environmental record until they do away with glow sticks.

There.

I said it.

2nd'd.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Caravan2001

There.

I said it.

It seems like they've really diminished though.  There was that quote from the MSG guy that said they used to have to spend hours picking them up and now they hardly pick up any.  Which is great.  I can't remember seeing too many this time around.

mehead

There.

I said it.

Couldn't agree more.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged