News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2018-12-31 - Madison Square Garden, New York, NY - Post Show Discussion

Started by GBL, January 01, 2019, 01:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBL

Phish, Monday 12/31/2018
Madison Square Garden
New York, NY

Set One: The Moma Dance, Stray Dog, 555, Sand, Lawn Boy, Steam > Chalkdust Torture > What's the Use? > Play by Play, Waste, Ass Handed, Antelope

Set Two: Down with Disease > Farmhouse > Seven Below > Twist > Harry Hood > Passing Through > Harry Hood

Set Three: Mercury > Auld Lang Syne, Say it to Me S.A.N.T.O.S., Simple, I Saw It Again, Limb by Limb > Rock and Roll > Suzy Greenberg

E: The Lizards, Character Zero
If this is love, I'm never going home..

anthrax

rowjimmy

mbw

lol, nugsnet had youtube block my 15 second video of my boy dancing last night.

WhatstheUse?

Always a hoot. Loved the show and loved the gag, best band ever.

These new songs are such a blast and the fan base seems almost unanimously behind the majority of them. They've only played these songs twice now but the entire arena was belting out SANTOS at the top of their lungs. You can tell the band really loves the positive response to new tunes for a change. Other than the Passing Through segue debacle, I felt every Halloween song crushed and I can't wait to see where they take them in 2019!

I'll never miss a NYE. It's simply the best.
Bring in the dude!

Hicks

I think we need an online petition to ban Farmhouse from all second sets.

Although misery loves company, glad to see that fuckery isn't just limited to the Gorge. 

Anyway, kind of a letdown compared with 12/29 and even 12/30, but the gag was pretty cool I did like that they finally took Seven Below deep again. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

WhatstheUse?

I won't lie, the drop into farmhouse bummed me out. However.... I still feel that farmhouse has shined in 3.0. Dare I say it's one of maybe, 2 or 3, Pre-hiatus tunes that actually is played better nowadays, IMO. Sure, Pelham 99 ripped harder, but these 3.0 versions have a beautiful delicacy to them that wasn't present in 1.0.

But... yeah.... not usually what you want to hear in a second set..
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

Farmhouse was lovely but I definitely heard a few people start laughing when Trey started playing it.
Oh well, I dug it and it's not as if the DWD was too short.

Even the concessions clerks were busting moves during Santos.

Quote from: mbw on January 01, 2019, 05:04:50 PM
lol, nugsnet had youtube block my 15 second video of my boy dancing last night.

That's done automagically by a bot. You could appeal and I would, honestly. I believe that it would be reviewed by a human after that.

PIE-GUY

The Passing Through ending was rough. They clearly wanted the crowd to pick up the "wayo wayo" and let the energy build and have the Hood jam come screaming out of it... and the whole thing just flopped. Forced crowd interaction almost never works... and this felt so forced.

Brutal.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

mistercharlie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 02, 2019, 01:59:36 AM
The Passing Through ending was rough. They clearly wanted the crowd to pick up the "wayo wayo" and let the energy build and have the Hood jam come screaming out of it... and the whole thing just flopped. Forced crowd interaction almost never works... and this felt so forced.

Brutal.

They should've written the song to end with 'woo', then the crew we would have picked up on it.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

emay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXEjX_SVAOQ&fbclid=IwAR0k4nxoF_1rfO20V-n7s1hP5_ntLRpbg4vdvXG4VnHd06vci4P90Yn2kFw

love the gag...fits perfect with santos.

Kinda reminds me of the steam floating gag but this one is executed way better and relevant post the Halloween set.

Love how Trey runs to the back of the stage to give the behind the stage sections some love.  :rawk:

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.