News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Phish at The Met discussion

Started by rowjimmy, October 24, 2019, 01:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

This is already in the Fall Tour thread:
Quote from: emay on October 24, 2019, 10:22:14 AM

QuotePhish will perform an exclusive concert for listeners of their SiriusXM channel, Phish Radio, on Tuesday, December 3 at The Met in Philadelphia, PA.SiriusXM subscribers will have numerous opportunities to win a pair of tickets to this show, including on-air on Phish Radio, online at SiriusXM.com/Phish (to enter, see Official Rules for complete details atSiriusXM.com/Phish), via e-mail invitation sent to qualified subscribers who have opted in to receiving email from SiriusXM and who have registered their music interests at SiriusXM.com/perks.
The show will mark the smallest venue Phish has played in nearly 20 years and will be broadcast live.

But I want to talk about some tangential elements to this. I'm wondering who will get in to this and who is even qualified to attempt to get in....

So let's start with a poll!

mistercharlie

This will be a hard ticket, but probably a pretty tame show.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

I thought I read that you had to have been an active Sirius subscriber for a year or something to that effect.
And yes, they will play it safe but I would enjoy the hell out of it.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Caravan2001

I've been a subscriber since 2004.  I hope 15 years of loyalty pays off somehow!!  Doubt they will look at that but if they do, I have to be one of the longer term subscribers.  I entered the sweepstakes and am trying other avenues as well.  If I get a ticket, I will go, but if I am being honest with myself, it would cost me $800 and 8 hour flight to get there (no directs PDX-Philly).  It would cost me $800 and 8 hours to fly to Pittsburgh. I'm fairly confident Pittsburgh will be the better show.  I just feel like these specialty shows lend themselves to festival (read: safe) sets.  I don't think the Met will get a 25 min Crosseyed. But, if I win by some miracle, I'm there, I guess.

WhatstheUse?

I don't have an account but my parents do so I'll at least try there.

I hit my friend up who works for Phish..... she'll get a ticket but got a hard NO on getting any extras for friends. Not surprised but still... damn!
Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

So the last show this small would have to be Roseland Ballroom, right? What about previous to that?
Bring in the dude!

Hicks

Phish doesn't usually blow it up in these situations, just sayin. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

emay

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 24, 2019, 04:19:41 PM
So the last show this small would have to be Roseland Ballroom, right? What about previous to that?

It looks like this show is even smaller in 98. Capacity 1,315, not "formally" announced though.

10/15/98

THE FILLMORE
San Francisco, CA
SET 1: Ghost -> Water in the Sky, Wolfman's Brother, Gumbo, David Bowie, Brian and Robert, Reba[1] > Character Zero

SET 2: My Soul > Chalk Dust Torture, Roggae, The Moma Dance, Wading in the Velvet Sea > Prince Caspian > Frankie Says, Birds of a Feather, Lawn Boy, Harry Hood

ENCORE: Dirt, Limb By Limb

[1] No whistling.
This "under the radar" show was never formally announced by Phish. San Francisco radio station KFOG leaked word of an upcoming "surprise announcement" two weeks before the show, telling Phish fans to tune in on Saturday morning for details. The 11:00 a.m. announcement was that tickets would be sold at noon the vacant Pier 32, prompting a mad rush of fans to the waterfront. Of the several thousand who arrived, roughly four hundred lucky people were able to buy vouchers entitling them to a pair of tickets. Prior to Brian and Robert, Trey said that Fish used to hate the yellow light and that Fish used to have a list of things that he hated, adding that every time they found out something Fish hated, they'd always do it (prompting Page to tease HYHU, which Fish also hates). Fish added that he hated the vowel "ooo" (the crowd responded with "ooo" noises). Trey said the only way to overcome something you hate was to face it head on. Trey then had Chris Kuroda shine a yellow light on Fish for Brian and Robert. Reba did not have the whistling ending. Hood contained a tease of Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man. After the show, some fans were given a poster (later for sale from Phish Dry Goods) and a bumper sticker (saying: "We've just come from Phish at the Fillmore. It was nice.").

jam>

Quote from: Hicks on October 24, 2019, 04:30:58 PM

I don't disagree, but what are examples of "these situations"?

khalpin

Quote from: emay on October 24, 2019, 04:33:10 PM

It looks like this show is even smaller in 98. Capacity 1,315, not "formally" announced though.

10/15/98

THE FILLMORE
San Francisco, CA
SET 1: Ghost -> Water in the Sky, Wolfman's Brother, Gumbo, David Bowie, Brian and Robert, Reba[1] > Character Zero

SET 2: My Soul > Chalk Dust Torture, Roggae, The Moma Dance, Wading in the Velvet Sea > Prince Caspian > Frankie Says, Birds of a Feather, Lawn Boy, Harry Hood

[1] No whistling.
This "under the radar" show was never formally announced by Phish. San Francisco radio station KFOG leaked word of an upcoming "surprise announcement" two weeks before the show, telling Phish fans to tune in on Saturday morning for details. The 11:00 a.m. announcement was that tickets would be sold at noon the vacant Pier 32, prompting a mad rush of fans to the waterfront. Of the several thousand who arrived, roughly four hundred lucky people were able to buy vouchers entitling them to a pair of tickets. Prior to Brian and Robert, Trey said that Fish used to hate the yellow light and that Fish used to have a list of things that he hated, adding that every time they found out something Fish hated, they'd always do it (prompting Page to tease HYHU, which Fish also hates). Fish added that he hated the vowel "ooo" (the crowd responded with "ooo" noises). Trey said the only way to overcome something you hate was to face it head on. Trey then had Chris Kuroda shine a yellow light on Fish for Brian and Robert. Reba did not have the whistling ending. Hood contained a tease of Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man. After the show, some fans were given a poster (later for sale from Phish Dry Goods) and a bumper sticker (saying: "We've just come from Phish at the Fillmore. It was nice.").
Does Sessions at West 54th 10/20/98 count?

rowjimmy

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 24, 2019, 03:16:37 PM
I thought I read that you had to have been an active Sirius subscriber for a year or something to that effect.
And yes, they will play it safe but I would enjoy the hell out of it.

Must have been a subscriber as of 10/10/19

Caravan2001

Quote from: khalpin on October 24, 2019, 05:38:12 PM
Quote from: emay on October 24, 2019, 04:33:10 PM

10/15/98

THE FILLMORE
San Francisco, CA

[1] No whistling.
Does Sessions at West 54th 10/20/98 count?

I don't think TV tapings count.  I was there for that though and it was good, but again, kinda boring too.  Cool experience but no replay value.  And that Fillmore show was meh, as was Roseland 2000.  So, these things never turn out as well musically but they are all great experiences in the moment for sure.  I think the last Letterman taping was super small, but I wouldn't count that either.  All I know is I am stoked to finally get some Phish content on Stern!!

Hicks

Quote from: jam> on October 24, 2019, 04:35:00 PM

Super small "special" shows. Roseland, Fillmore, Flynn etc. 

Hell, even the Fox in St Louis in 09 was pretty much a bust. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

jam>

Quote from: Hicks on October 24, 2019, 07:25:48 PM

Ah yes. All good examples.

Radio City being the exception stateside I guess.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on October 24, 2019, 07:25:48 PM

Beyond the best Brian and Robert, yes.  That said, it was a gorgeous theatre and I am glad I went for that fact (and it was my 20th year phishaversary).  That said, it was a long way to travel and a lot of money for a mediocre show but that's how it goes sometimes.  Also, Heath and I got to drink beer with PlayItLeo out of toilet plungers so that was special too.  I guess.