News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

December '95

Started by anthrax, November 19, 2020, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

Quote from: Marmar on December 03, 2020, 07:37:33 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on December 03, 2020, 05:58:25 PM
Quote from: Marmar on December 03, 2020, 05:18:44 PM
95 is what ruined Tweezer for me....

Mud Island, Canandaigua, New Haven, and Binghamton.....after that, Tweezer just was never the same....

Well... I fell in love with Phish in the '97/'98 era. There are amazing Tweezers to be found there if you like that sound. 12/6/97 comes to mind...

Inside joke between a few of us here. It's a well known fact I hate Tweezer....except when it's played. Make room, I'm worse than Antelope Greg......

True. Tweezer is always at its best whenever it's being listened to.

anthrax

QuotePHISH, TUESDAY 12/05/1995
MULLINS CENTER, UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS
Amherst, MA
SET 1: Horn > Chalk Dust Torture, Taste That Surrounds, The Lizards, Free, Esther > David Bowie, I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[1]

SET 2: Poor Heart > Bathtub Gin -> Keyboard Army, Scent of a Mule > Jam > Lifeboy, Harry Hood, Cavern

ENCORE: Theme From the Bottom, Sweet Adeline

[1] Acoustic.

Lizards was dedicated to college basketball commentator Dick Vitale. I?m Blue I?m Lonesome was performed acoustic. Bathtub Gin contained a DEG tease by Trey. Hood contained a tease of The Entertainer (Scott Joplin) from Trey.

kellerb

FYI Rob Mitchum is doing 25-years-ago show reviews/essays https://phishcrit.substack.com/ (Dave, did he steal this idea from You?)

I haven't been able to carve out time for a proper listening project in a while, so it helps me find the highlights

Caravan2001

Quote from: kellerb on December 05, 2020, 01:04:48 PM
FYI Rob Mitchum is doing 25-years-ago show reviews/essays https://phishcrit.substack.com/ (Dave, did he steal this idea from You?)

I haven't been able to carve out time for a proper listening project in a while, so it helps me find the highlights

He has turned me on to a few good shows from fall 95 tour I had overlooked.  I think Phoenix is the one I am thinking of, right after shoreline.

anthrax

This gin is the prototype fall 95 sound.  I can't believe @shapsio hasn't given us this as a sbd

Caravan2001

Quote from: anthrax on December 05, 2020, 09:26:00 PM
This gin is the prototype fall 95 sound.  I can't believe @shapsio hasn't given us this as a sbd

It's got to be on the short list.

rowjimmy

Quote from: pcr3 on December 04, 2020, 06:26:26 PM
Quote from: ph92 on December 04, 2020, 12:10:42 PM

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 02, 2020, 08:21:53 PM
Quote from: pcr3 on December 02, 2020, 06:29:32 PM
Well, I just finished 12/1.  Scott is so dead on.  They just bash you over the head with their pace and their playing and just going right into the next song before you can get a breath.  It's fucking relentless.  I fucking love it.  This is fun.

Jesus Christ, dude.
You disgust me.

Does this mean I am more of a jaded vet than Paul? That's one of the first shows I was instructed to listen to as a kid. Was one of my go to shows for years when all I wanted to hear was Mike's and DWD.

Me ignoring RJ's advice for years does not make you any less of a noob.  While I may not have listened to 12/1, I did attend 12/2...

Honestly, the fact that you went to 12/2 makes not listening to the night before even more egregious.
I mean, what the hell are you doing with your life?

pcr3

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 06, 2020, 11:40:16 AM
Quote from: pcr3 on December 04, 2020, 06:26:26 PM
Quote from: ph92 on December 04, 2020, 12:10:42 PM

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 02, 2020, 08:21:53 PM
Quote from: pcr3 on December 02, 2020, 06:29:32 PM
Well, I just finished 12/1.  Scott is so dead on.  They just bash you over the head with their pace and their playing and just going right into the next song before you can get a breath.  It's fucking relentless.  I fucking love it.  This is fun.

Jesus Christ, dude.
You disgust me.

Does this mean I am more of a jaded vet than Paul? That's one of the first shows I was instructed to listen to as a kid. Was one of my go to shows for years when all I wanted to hear was Mike's and DWD.

Me ignoring RJ's advice for years does not make you any less of a noob.  While I may not have listened to 12/1, I did attend 12/2...

Honestly, the fact that you went to 12/2 makes not listening to the night before even more egregious.
I mean, what the hell are you doing with your life?

These days, pretty much nothing.

I will add that I?m sure I?ve heard bits of all of these shows. I don?t think I?ve ever put them on to listen to in their entirety. I don?t have the time available to do that. I realize that puts me in the minority here. Doesn?t mean I don?t love it though.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

sunrisevt

I'll go to bat for my man pcr3 here.

As with such legends as Prince, Bowie, Bill Laswell, the ever-lovin' Grateful Dead, &cetera, & ad nauseum, the Phish have delivered such a glut of archival material that no casual listener should be expected to familiarize with it all. It's just not a realistic proposition. We've been through the "noob/vet" thing here, and done it to death, but...

...wait, am I *defending* pcr3?

Fuck. I lost my train of thought.

Point being (I'm pretty sure), pcr3 needs to fuck right off.

:wink:

:smoke:

:beers:
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Hicks

Quote from: sunrisevt on December 06, 2020, 06:53:55 PM

As with such legends as Prince, Bowie, Bill Laswell, the ever-lovin' Grateful Dead, &cetera, & ad nauseum, the Phish have delivered such a glut of archival material that no casual listener should be expected to familiarize with it all. It's just not a realistic proposition. We've been through the "noob/vet" thing here, and done it to death, but...

12-1-95 is one of the first 30 or so full show archival releases and one or the first five shows they released on video. 

Rules your face rhetoric aside, it is no way an under the radar show and anybody who has not listened to it in the year 2020 probably should go ahead and quit Phish forever and pray to ikkulus that he have mercy on his soul. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

anthrax

QuotePHISH, THURSDAY 12/07/1995
NIAGARA FALLS CONVENTION CENTER
Niagara Falls, NY
Soundcheck: Poor Heart (slow version), Funky Bitch, Run Like an Antelope Jam (x3)

SET 1: The Old Home Place > The Curtain > AC/DC Bag, Demand > Rift, Slave to the Traffic Light, Guyute, Bouncing Around the Room, Possum, Hello My Baby

SET 2: Split Open and Melt, Strange Design > Taste That Surrounds, Reba[1], Julius, Sleeping Monkey > Sparkle > Mike's Song -> Weekapaug Groove[2] -> Digital Delay Loop Jam, Amazing Grace

ENCORE: Uncle Pen

[1] No whistling.
[2] Unfinished.

The Melt jam included a tease of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Reba included a Pop Goes the Weasel tease and did not contain the whistling ending. Weekapaug was unfinished. Mike and Fish teased Maze in the Digital Delay Loop Jam. This show was officially released as Niagara Falls.

400 miles west and we arrive at Niagara Falls.  Again, this is such a weird choice for an arena show in early December, but the Phish brought in over 8,700 paid on a Thursday night.  It was very close to a sell out by showtime.  This Mike's > Weekapaug could only be followed by Amazing Grace.  Had they played another barn burner after Weekapaug, the falls might have evaporated from the heat.

Additionally, me and some of the other moms from my facebook group have begun to petition our congressmen.  We want to get a warning placed on the Split Open & Melt that clearly states not to operate heavy machinery while listing to it.  The safety of our community, and thus the world, depend on it.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on December 06, 2020, 10:31:19 PM

12-1-95 is one of the first 30 or so full show archival releases and one or the first five shows they released on video. 

Rules your face rhetoric aside, it is no way an under the radar show and anybody who has not listened to it in the year 2020 probably should go ahead and quit Phish forever and pray to ikkulus that he have mercy on his soul.

I'm sayin'

anthrax

love this rapid pace reba!

Caravan2001

Quote from: anthrax on December 07, 2020, 06:54:10 AM
QuotePHISH, THURSDAY 12/07/1995
NIAGARA FALLS CONVENTION CENTER
Niagara Falls, NY
Soundcheck: Poor Heart (slow version), Funky Bitch, Run Like an Antelope Jam (x3)

SET 1: The Old Home Place > The Curtain > AC/DC Bag, Demand > Rift, Slave to the Traffic Light, Guyute, Bouncing Around the Room, Possum, Hello My Baby

SET 2: Split Open and Melt, Strange Design > Taste That Surrounds, Reba[1], Julius, Sleeping Monkey > Sparkle > Mike's Song -> Weekapaug Groove[2] -> Digital Delay Loop Jam, Amazing Grace

ENCORE: Uncle Pen

[1] No whistling.
[2] Unfinished.

The Melt jam included a tease of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Reba included a Pop Goes the Weasel tease and did not contain the whistling ending. Weekapaug was unfinished. Mike and Fish teased Maze in the Digital Delay Loop Jam. This show was officially released as Niagara Falls.

400 miles west and we arrive at Niagara Falls.  Again, this is such a weird choice for an arena show in early December, but the Phish brought in over 8,700 paid on a Thursday night.  It was very close to a sell out by showtime.  This Mike's > Weekapaug could only be followed by Amazing Grace.  Had they played another barn burner after Weekapaug, the falls might have evaporated from the heat.

Additionally, me and some of the other moms from my facebook group have begun to petition our congressmen.  We want to get a warning placed on the Split Open & Melt that clearly states not to operate heavy machinery while listing to it.  The safety of our community, and thus the world, depend on it.

Haha, no doubt.  This is one I left off my list of not attended.  I always forget about this one which is crazy because it is such a smoker.  Great show.  My wife said it was freezing cold and all of the spray coming off the falls was causing the observation deck to be covered with a sheet of ice.  She said they spent the whole afternoon inside watching people on the deck, including Page, try to navigate it only to invariably end up on their butts. 

pcr3

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 07, 2020, 01:02:07 PM
Quote from: Hicks on December 06, 2020, 10:31:19 PM

I'm sayin'

I get it.  It appears I should quit Phish.  Thanks to all, this has been very helpful!

Planning to give 12/7 a spin tonight to remind myself of the show.  Like 12/1, I've heard it before, but have forgotten the specifics.  I've skipped the UMass shows for now, just like I did 25 years ago.  Back then, it was because of finals and term papers, this time it is because of being slammed at work and home.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3