News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New LP Archival Release - September 29, 1999

Started by mistercharlie, March 16, 2022, 06:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Long drive yesterday so I took this one for a spin...

I know Hicks said we shouldn't complain, but this is an all-time classic show but it's mastered very, very loud. 

It's compressed so hard that the cymbals and high hats have zero decay so they sound distorted.

After a powerful start the band winds it down with Driver but there is no rest for your ears as it's just as loud.

The wav file for Tweezer Reprise must just be a big large block, and there is a ton of distortion all over it.

The show deserves better.

jam>

I have to agree with you, Matt. My other unpopular opinion is my love for the (digital) mix of the latest Clifford Ball release.

Superfreakie

Quote from: jam> on March 21, 2022, 12:24:19 PMMy other unpopular opinion is my love for the (digital) mix of the latest Clifford Ball release.

???? Did I miss something? What is this "latest" release you speak of?

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

PIE-GUY

QuoteMy other unpopular opinion is my love for the (digital) mix of the latest Clifford Ball release.

They released the vinyl master to livephish the day the vinyl was officially released - actually, it's on all streaming platforms now. I have it from Apple. 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

shoreline99

Quote from: mattstick on March 21, 2022, 10:42:46 AMLong drive yesterday so I took this one for a spin...

I know Hicks said we shouldn't complain, but this is an all-time classic show but it's mastered very, very loud. 

It's compressed so hard that the cymbals and high hats have zero decay so they sound distorted.

After a powerful start the band winds it down with Driver but there is no rest for your ears as it's just as loud.

The wav file for Tweezer Reprise must just be a big large block, and there is a ton of distortion all over it.

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

jam>

Quote from: Superfreakie on March 21, 2022, 01:44:13 PM
Quote from: jam> on March 21, 2022, 12:24:19 PMMy other unpopular opinion is my love for the (digital) mix of the latest Clifford Ball release.

I just meant the official release from a few months ago (not whatever was released a week or so ago, though it might be the same).

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on March 21, 2022, 10:42:46 AMLong drive yesterday so I took this one for a spin...

I do agree it is compressed to the hilt. The wave forms do look like solid bars across the screen. Haven't noticed distortion but the whole thing is super squashed for sure.  But sounds good to me. I'm listening to the 16bit, not sure if there was a 24? Assuming so.

Hicks

Listening a little more closely and yeah you can hear some distortion/clipping at points, but it's not terrible. There are certainly worse sounding LPs out there like Detroit 97 and I'd even throw out the Island Tour as another example.

Mostly though I thought it was funny that anybody would complain about the show choice, because obvs it rules.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Gumbo72203

so glad this got released.  Yeah, the sound is compressed to hell but that's what they do these days.  Probably for streaming.  We're dealing with that with our latest album - our engineer, who works for the same studio that did Ghost of the Forest, gave her first pass really loud and when you listen to the lossless, it's fatiguing but when you get a compressed version of it that would be the case for streaming, it sounds fantastic.  I wonder if they do it that way on purpose. 

I'd love for 10/2/99 to get released next.  We don't have a Live Phish with a big long Piper (7/8/00 doesn't count, that Piper is rather weak IMO.  Strangest LP release haha).  I mean yeah we have Desert Sky but that isn't the whole show and I think it's only on the DVD? 

Trey's tone in this era will forever be my holy grail.  It's so clean, but full of sustain like he's got 8 overdrives going.  I don't understand it at all, because try as I might, I can not replicate it. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

jasonsobel

QuoteWe don't have a Live Phish with a big long Piper (7/8/00 doesn't count, that Piper is rather weak IMO.  Strangest LP release haha)

The Island Tour has a great Piper.  And do you not count the SPAC Piper, because it wasn't an "archival" Live Phish release?
sing me back home before I die

Marmar

wait what....so, I was kinda right?  :o

My biggest complaint isn't so much the show, but the sound....this should have LIFE, not just balls to the wall from start to finish....it's sterile....

Yes, IMHO there are better hows from this year, but this wouldn't have been a back choice if it was so

LOUD

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Marmar

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on April 01, 2022, 11:40:28 AMI'd love for 10/2/99 to get released next.  We don't have a Live Phish with a big long Piper (7/8/00 doesn't count, that Piper is rather weak IMO.  Strangest LP release haha).  I mean yeah we have Desert Sky but that isn't the whole show and I think it's only on the DVD? 

Umm....how about the Oswego Piper? Theres an official sbd release of that.....so....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: jasonsobel on April 01, 2022, 05:49:38 PMThe Island Tour has a great Piper.  And do you not count the SPAC Piper, because it wasn't an "archival" Live Phish release?

If it ain't on CD it doesn't exist!  But yeah, I don't really count that because it was released at it happened.  I'm talking 1.0 I guess haha. 

And yeah I forgot about the Island Tour.  I have the flu, the brain doesn't right now.  Pretty sure Island Tour is the only jammed out Piper outro as well right?

Quote from: Marmar on April 03, 2022, 04:36:43 PMUmm....how about the Oswego Piper? Theres an official sbd release of that.....so....

not a whole show!  haha but yeah, i forgot about that one too.  See my note above...  flu brain is a real. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

emay

So that 'die' sample seems to be part of a yahama AN1x preset patch. Couldn't find another sample of it online but there's some YouTube vids of people looping it through modular synth gear which gets pretty out there. Love this IG page btw