News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Standup Comedy Thread

Started by WhatstheUse?, April 04, 2022, 07:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Any other standup fans here? It's been my latest obsession. There's so many hilarious podcasts out there these days & it's honestly really helped me get through this pandemic.

As for "new-ish" comics... I've really been enjoying Mark Normand recently and he has a ton of content out there for free. Theo Vonn cracks me the hell up and I love how a lot of his absurdity goes over peoples heads. Not necessarily the greatest standups, IMO, but Tom Segura and Bert Kreischer are pretty entertaining on podcasts. Same goes for Bobby Lee on Tiger Belly. Shane Gillis special up on YouTube is gold.

I think it's pretty cool all these guys are providing daily/weekly content and a platform to interview other celebrities that isn't network television. It's a new age!
Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

There's a zillion Norm things I could post (because he's the best ever) but I'll just share a set I listened to today. I think this was his last 'new material' before he passed. It's absolute genius. RIP.

Bring in the dude!

antelope19

I've definitely gotten into standup over the last 18 months or so. That's a great list you have. I'd add Tom Papa, Jo Koy, and Bill Burr, but most of you have likely heard their stuff. Taylor Tomlinson, Sam Morril, and Nate Bargatze are all pretty funny as well.

Follow @drybarcomedy for some great vids on Instagram from lesser known comedians.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mistercharlie

Marc Maron End Times Fun is a great standup special, if you haven't seen it yet. There's even some  :phish: &  :syf: talk.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

Nice! I'll have to check out that special. Marc is great.

Will also check out that insta page, Antelope. Love all of those comics you mentioned! Saw Bill Burr at Red Rocks last year and had a blast! Just grabbed tix for Chris Rock in Denver in June. LEGEND!

Apparently.... Chapelle announced, today, he's performing the next 3 nights in Denver - tickets were ~$170 a pop. Yikes! That's some star power!
Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

QuoteNice! I'll have to check out that special. Marc is great.

Will also check out that insta page, Antelope. Love all of those comics you mentioned! Saw Bill Burr at Red Rocks last year and had a blast! Just grabbed tix for Chris Rock in Denver in June. LEGEND!

Apparently.... Chapelle announced, today, he's performing the next 3 nights in Denver - tickets were ~$170 a pop. Yikes! That's some star power!
I think the Chris Rock tour in June is a Chris Rock/Kevin Hart co-tour. The wife and I were thinking about hitting it up. John Mulaney is funny as fuck too, but tickets to his show here, at The Lawn (where Umphrey's plays), were over $100 a piece.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

Chapelle loves to announce surprise shows. He did a bunch of them in Austin. I tried every time to get tickets. The Paramount Theatre holds like 1500 people. Two ticket limit. I would get on and the ticketing site would say, "There are 22,305 people ahead of you in line." 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Tomapella

Emma Willmann's been cracking me up lately and she's gonna be headlining a comedy festival in my town next month.

pcr3

I love the thread  :wtu:

I'm a fan of Anthony Jeselnik, who has a few things on Netflix, among other places.  I'll have to check out some of the comedians mentioned above that I've never heard of...
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

mistercharlie

I think it should go without saying, but...

Mitch Hedberg.

Find his specials, find his cd's, find his late night appearances. They are all pure gold!

"I used to do drugs... I still do, but I used to, too."

PIE-GUY

Hedberg was the real deal for sure. 

"I don't have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who'd be mad at me for saying that." 

mistercharlie

"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like 'Dude, you have to wait'".

Tomapella

Smokey the Bear is WAY more intense in person.

PIE-GUY

One of my favorite series was "This is Not Happening" on Comedy Central. Most of the stories are up on youtube... couple of goon'ns: