News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2023-02-26 - Moon Palace, Cancun, MX - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, February 26, 2023, 09:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

2023-02-26 Moon Palace, Cancun, MX

Set 1:
Sigma Oasis, David Bowie, Wolfman's Brother, Tube > Prince Caspian, Mull, Ghost, The Squirming Coil

Set 2:
Possum, Julius, You Enjoy Myself, Everything's Right, Simple, BDTNL > Suzy Greenberg

Encore:
McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Waste, Slave To The Traffic Light

anthrax

rowjimmy

Quote from: anthrax on February 26, 2023, 09:19:32 PMMcgrupp only played 8 times in the last decade!

Nice kick down encore.
Somehow I've seen two of those 8.

Decent show. The ER > Simple was a solid 30mins with some cool jamming.

mistercharlie

It almost sounds like a Sneakin' Sally jam is going on halfway through Wolfman's.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

Quote from: mistercharlie on February 27, 2023, 10:08:02 AMIt almost sounds like a Sneakin' Sally jam is going on halfway through Wolfman's.
I had the same thought!

natronzero

I dug this show for the most part, but man, that Bowie...
There's nothing technically wrong, it's played fine. But at just a whiff over 9m, that makes it the second shortest Bowie ever played (after 4/24/87). The last one under 10m was in 1989, and it looks like there have only been 5 of those ever (not counting a few from the 80s where the tape is cut so we don't know.) Maybe they're just over that song.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: natronzero on March 02, 2023, 11:54:01 AMI dug this show for the most part, but man, that Bowie...
There's nothing technically wrong, it's played fine. But at just a whiff over 9m, that makes it the second shortest Bowie ever played (after 4/24/87). The last one under 10m was in 1989, and it looks like there have only been 5 of those ever (not counting a few from the 80s where the tape is cut so we don't know.) Maybe they're just over that song.

Damn, second shortest ever:sbw: and I both commented on how ridiculous it was at the time. A travesty!
Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 02, 2023, 03:01:00 PM
Quote from: natronzero on March 02, 2023, 11:54:01 AMI dug this show for the most part, but man, that Bowie...

Damn, second shortest ever:sbw: and I both commented on how ridiculous it was at the time. A travesty!

I don't think they're over it. The 12/29/22 version that opened the 2nd set was north of 14 min and was tight and solid. Of course that same night "featured" the shortest Slave ever, I think. Clocking in at 6:41, it had a completely truncated intro section. Then they closed out the entire Mex run with a Slave that was at least decent. 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

yeah, I don't think they're necessarily "over it" but there surely was a sense of "going through the motions" during that jam.

With age, and probably, lack of drugs... the moments of "it" are fewer and farther between.  I imagine it's not a conscious thing on their part. The music just sort of.. happenns as it happens....

.. but you're right, the Slave to end the last night was pretty darn enjoyable, wasn't it?
Bring in the dude!

natronzero

All good points.
I guess the way to look at it is that it's in the nature of Phish to be different, unpredictable, and unusual. Obviously that's one of the main reasons we all follow them so closely, those unusual moments that sometimes work spectacularly and sometimes don't.
That particular version wasn't unusual in the way I would necessarily hope for, but it sure was unusual!
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

rowjimmy

On this Bowie...
It's the single version!

Actually, in addition to being the second shortest, it's also excellent

If you don't want a jam.

I hold out hope that, in finally getting to a point where they can knock one of these out, they'll soon find their way back into jamming it while also nailing the composed bits.