News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R?/W?: The Couch Room - San Juan Capistrano - 8/17/92

Started by khalpin, January 27, 2024, 11:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

Trying something a little different.  I've never really taken a deep dive into 1992 before. I know the obvious ones, but looking for a recommendation on a solid '92 show to listen to on a hike with the dog tomorrow. 

mistercharlie

I'm sure you know 11/19, but if not. That's my pick.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

probably an obvious answer, but 4/18

Superfreakie

Toronto 12/12/92. My favorite of the year, possibly due to attendance bias but tape holds up. 
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

susep

Quote from: anthrax on January 27, 2024, 12:34:57 PMprobably an obvious answer, but 4/18

Might as well expand it to 4/16-18/92.  Three killer shows in a row.  :phish:

sunrisevt

First two shows of the year, March 6 & 7, Portsmouth NH.

Definite attendance bias here--they were my 2nd and 3rd shows--but the energy is phenomenal. Like 7 or 8 tunes debuted over the weekend.

And a strong agree on 11/19. That's basically the perfect early Phish show.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

PIE-GUY

8/17 - It's the only full Phish show in the middle of the tour opening for Santana. You can sense the energy of knowing they can spread their wings a bit. Plus this source sounds great. 

https://relisten.net/phish/1992/08/17
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

khalpin

8/17/92 it is!  I'm already familiar with most of the suggestions, and I'll take you up on those Portsmouth shows in short order, Kelley.  But you sold me on the 8/17 show, Dave. 

San Juan Capastrano, where the beer flows like wine.  Looking forward to it.  Thanks guys!  I knew you would not disappoint.

phil

I just recently listened to 1992-07-14 from Norfolk VA, the source I have is second set only but it rips!

Also the YEM from 1992-05-10 is fire
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Caravan2001

8/17 is great.  Was such a fun show and lots of good versions.

But for me 92  starts and ends with 3/20.

khalpin

I love the Buried Alive opener. I'll take that any time I can get it. A little bit of rust in Poor Heart into a Landlady with a shout out to Carlos Santana. Reba has a relaxed tempo, which also results in it being very tight. The jam is just sublime. Great stuff...highlight number one so far. Trey starts out Rift a little on the slow side. Then Fishman comes in essentially saying...Yeah, we're gonna need to pick up the pace a bit. Solid. Wilson features a bunch of secret language. I'm curious how much of the crowd had caught on at this point And has anyone noticed that for the random note Trey seems to sing the same note every time. All Things Reconsidered is super tight. A blistering Foam sadly gets cut off on the soundboard. Another example of why Trey's playing absolutely blows my mind. Myfe is pretty much flawless. Bouncing was played. A nice dissonant Bowie that comes to a fiery finish.

I like the a capella intro to Suzy which also features a Santana tease. Think it was Oye Como Va. Ice has a few flubs. I like how Trey takes a back seat in the Tweezer giving Page the spotlight for a while.  Nice jam here. Gets pretty hot. Esther is spot on up until the end. The sustain that Trey gets on the Languedoc at the beginning of the Mike's jam is insane.  Reminds me of that Hood from Fall 96. Weekapaug has some great band interplay. Horn is all about the guitar solo for me and Trey nails it. This is probably the most interesting Terrapin I've ever heard. With a guest drummer doing backing vocals leaving Trey playing guitar, it's oddly a must hear. Jetsons theme > Take the A-Train. Which was played very well and featured some Somewhere Over the Rainbow teases. Then, after that concludes they break into a full on cover of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Not sure if that's the only time that's ever happened. But it was pretty damn cool to hear. Cavern was played. Squirming Coil is a strong finish. 6 months later, Page could finally play it on the Baby grand instead of the electric piano.

This was a really fun listen.  Appreciate the recommendation and it wasn't I probably would've visited otherwise.

Hicks

Not under the radar by any means, but I used to listen to Providence Campus Club all the time when I was first getting heavily into Phish. Was one of the best sounding shows I had back then.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on January 29, 2024, 01:15:20 PMNot under the radar by any means, but I used to listen to Providence Campus Club all the time when I was first getting heavily into Phish. Was one of the best sounding shows I had back then.

Yeah that one is awesome.  With the Big Fat Furry Antelope.

jam>

I caught the new years run that year. 12/30 and 12/31 were both great.

Caravan2001

Quote from: jam> on January 29, 2024, 06:06:28 PMI caught the new years run that year. 12/30 and 12/31 were both great.

Those were super fun.  So was New Haven.  I loved NYE 92.