News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

YAWT or "Yet another wiki thread"

Started by jedifunk, April 17, 2006, 09:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

hey all;

i'm just wondering what our status is... i keep coming here wanting to do some work, but dont want to until i get the go ahead from y'all...

whats holding us up?  anything?  anchors?  lemme know so i can start bustin shit out!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

August

well i am back in!
that helps.
i am going to cut and paste and continue with the setlist entries today.
i will let you guys figure out the tough stuff!
a

jephrey

As I mentioned in the other thread, I got the anchors working with the "new" way.  Unfortunately, it is based on html anchors and only saves a small bit of text...

HTML:
Here's a link to an anchor
[[http://week4paug.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=Setlists#y1984 1984]]

Here's the anchor
""<a name="anchor" id="y1984"></a>""

Other code:
Here's a link to an anchor
{{anchor target="1983" text="1983"}}

Here's the anchor
{{anchor name="1998"}}

The thing is, that with html, you can link interpage.  The only benefit to the other code is that it's a little shorter.  The way we have it written is pretty clear.  I think that HTML is fine, especially because of the interpage linking.  It makes more sense if an anchor is synonymous with a heading and a link to an anchor is built into a normal link where you don't have to have the whole address (as in mediawiki).  If it's not like that, My vote is to stick with HTML anchors.  Sure it's a little uglier, but it's ok.

I'm also ready to continue, but I want to be sure we're all on board with one way or the other.  I'll remind you that even if we go with the other way, we'll still have to use HTML anchors for inter-page linking which means one anchor would have to have 2 types of anchors in it.

If we don't find out about this new method and interpage linking, I say stick with HTML.  But I think we should wait.(there will be a lot of work to do if we continue entering setlists and decide on a different route than we're going)  It'd be a lot nicer to not have to use HTML. 

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

August

jephrey

Actually guys.  Entering setlists stuff, although it will have to be changed if we go the other route, is not too bad.  basically you paste the new anchor type over the old html one and change a few small pieces of text.  I think it'd be ok to continue working with the HTML anchors, especially because I think that's the way it'll end up being.

Jephrey

EDIT:  10-06 is complete (both pages).  Go ahead and double-check...

Oh, the details page should link to the year and tour page.  I don't know how we want that in there.  I'll try and think of something.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jephrey

Check out 10-07.  I used a table to write Fall Tour 2000 and have those link to the tour and year pages.  I didn't know a name for tour pages that would be good.  Is falltour2000 good with everyone?  I think that will work for all tours as far as page names go.

As for the setlists page, where the year is, and you can link to the year page, right below that should be tour pages to link to.  Then, among the dates, there should be links to tours.  I'll do that now and everyone tell me what you think...

J

tet

well, if our current wiki is not working on IE browsers with any consistancy (though it is just fine on the 2 PCs i can test over here), we need to seriously consider moving to mediawiki, despite some of the nice things we've found with wikkawiki. 

i hate to do this because IE is such a piece of crap that it doesn't deserve the amount of work we have to do to deal with it...  but too many people use it, and we can't have our wiki inaccessible by them.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jephrey

Agreed.  I am still doing things here because I can't imagine that there's a problem...

Oh shit... just turned on IE and everything worked fine.  Navigated a couple pages and boom, blank pages.  This is from work.

Crap.

tet, I am sure this is software related although I can't imagine that it's not fixable.  has anyone else gone to other wikka sites with IE?  Is it the same there?  I'll try.  If not then I imagine that it's fixable, but I don't know if we should wait for a fix that may or may not come.  I get the feeling that you guys are pretty gung ho about getting this thing going ASAP.  I am too.  I don't have any issues with mediawiki.

Jephrey

jedifunk

Quote from: jephrey on April 17, 2006, 11:30:13 AM
I didn't know a name for tour pages that would be good.  Is falltour2000 good with everyone?  I think that will work for all tours as far as page names go.

i think we need to keep things as simplistic as possible... for nothing else, at least for times sake...

instead of falltour2000, i would prefer to see something like f00 or f2000; s00 or s2000; f97 or f1997, etc, etc...

just my .02... having done web design & implementaion before, the more simple the better, and easier to read through code, etc...
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

OK...  simplistic it is.  I'll work on that.  And how about the links to tour and year on the details page (10-07)?  Over on the right it says Fall Tour 2000.

J

jedifunk

yeah, i like that...

but i think we need to somehow define the hierarchy of our design.. as in, rank out which pages are more important..

is it the year setlist page, is it the tour page, is it the individual show page... etc... thinking about that stuff now will go along way to making this easier later.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

Well, depending a little on a possible switch to mw.

Setlists is the main area really.  I call it the setlists page.  In mw, pages can have any name so dates can have dashes or just be numbers.
20001007.  I call those pages detail pages.

The top of the setlists page will link to years that are further down on the page.

In each year header, the year will link to a year details page

Below the year will be a list of all the tours that year which will link to the start of that tour further down the page.  Below that, the months with the dates which will also link to the general setlist further down.

At the tour header, if you click on it, it'll go to the tour page, and at the show header if you click will go to the show details page.

NAMING...

Setlists - Setlists
Setlist Details - yyyymmdd (maybe with dashes if you guys wish)
Songs - Songs(a list of all songs)
Song Details - whole name of song, description, when/where played and previous/following song
Venues - Venues(a list of all venues)
Venue Details - whole name of venue (seating charts, website etc)
Years - (I don't think a page to list all years is totally necessary, but maybe it could be like a timeline and link to each individual year.)
Year Details - yyyy
Tours - (This falls into the same boat as years.  If it's a timeline, maybe just have a Timeline page that can link to individual year and tour pages)
Tours - Tourseason yyyy

Of course we can make pages for each band member and other stuff, but these are the major categories.

J