News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Yeah man, those sound delicious!!!!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Igbo

Quote from: antelope19 on September 18, 2007, 02:00:05 PM
Yeah man, those sound delicious!!!!

My wife walks around in a cut off white T and orange hot pants and serves them too, Hooters stylie.

antelope19

Quote from: Igbo on September 18, 2007, 03:18:12 PM
My wife walks around in a cut off white T and orange hot pants and serves them too, Hooters stylie.

:lol: :lol:

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Mingus

MMMMmmmmm...  sounds delicious...

I'm talking about the wings of course  :evil:
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 24, 2007, 10:34:02 PM
...ian anderson couldnt sing worth a damn and was wearing purple spandex pants with a bulge i could see from 20 rows back...

actually, now that i think of it, this might have been the best concert ever

jephrey

alright, it's fall...  Although I've been eating 1-2 bowls of chili per week since January (typically a bowl with a pale ale at the Onion pub for lunch on Wednesday) and then if I've made it for dinner, it's finally time to break out the recipe that I've been recently adhering to...

1lb ground beef
1/4 to 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
1 poblano pepper chopped
1 small to medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
S+P to taste

fry those things up in the bottom of the stock pot...  Drain only some of the grease.

After the onions are translucent and the beef is at least mostly cooked add (these are total approximations)
6oz of a well hopped IPA or red or brown ale (I've done it with all 3 to good success)
1T brown sugar
1/2 t curry powder
1t oregano
1/4t paprika
1/4t cayenne
1/4t red pepper flakes
about 8 dried chopped chili peppers
1 habanero pepper
a grip of chopped fresh cilantro
3/4t cumin

then do up the tomatoes, I go with (these are the normal 14 or so ounce cans)
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce or puree'd tomatoes
1 "mini can" of tomato paste (you know what I'm talkin'bout)

Simmer for a LONG time -- HOURS.  Then add

1/2 can corn
3/4 can black beans
1 can kidney beans (dark or light don't matter, they're both pink on the inside  :wink: )

Simmer for another half hour.  DONE

Best served with sweet cream butter and sourdough bread, but oyster crackers work too.

garnish with chopped green onions and cheddar.

My thoughts on chili and this recipe in particular...

This recipe is for pretty spicy chili.  You could remove the habanero or some of the chili peppers or cayenne or pepper flakes to reduce the heat (I'd start with the flakes and cayenne because the habanero and chili peppers provide more flavor that you want in this chili.)  The poblano pepper and cilantro along with the cumin give it a Mexican feel...  When you add the cilantro, it's a great scent...  I go with corn and black beans just for flair but I've made it without them and the chili has been good.  The beer is necessary and when you add it, you can really tell how it aids the flavor...  Get a heavily hopped beer because that will impart the most.  This must be eaten with a beer in hand.  Best is to drink the beer you added to the chili when you eat it.  So awesome.

Alterations...  Don't be afraid to add leftover salsa, giardiniera, taco sauce, jalapenos, tabasco, chulula, or anything else you have laying around.

I know that many have their own recipe that they swear by, and this ever-changing one is the one that I dig the most.

Tonight's chili was made with Lagunitas Imperial Red (which is my new favorite red ale - move over cascazilla) and it is superb.

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jephrey

Pancakes...

I did some pretty killer pancakes this morning...  I've always been a fan of bisquick...  I know, say what you will, but with some additions and mods, you can make some killer cakes.

I do the box recipe but add lemon juice and baking powder (T, t), the new bisquick boxes add those ingredients in an alternate recipe on the box.  Then I add cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg, brown sugar, and then some other stuff like oat bran, flax seed, and flaked oats, rye and barley (there's a breakfast cereal similar to quaker oats that contains all 3), and at that point, the bowl will of course need more milk.  Cook as usual.  I like the simple Log Cabin syrup myself, but there are some au natural ones that are fantastic.  You can always add walnut chunks to the syrup or diced apples to the batter for something extra.  I'd bet some pumpkin in the cakes would be good too.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Igbo on September 18, 2007, 01:45:26 PM
Last night was chicken wings for the MNF game.

Used organic free-range wings. Put them in a brine for a few hours. Then lightly coated them with flour, and S&P. Then deep fried in Safflower Oil. Then tossed them in a sauce of spices, Ketchup, Sriracha, a little beer, and a little melted butter. Righteous, i think it helped the win!!!

Had some of Igbo's wings last night for the Redskins game...
Yummy.

nab

Quote from: jephrey on October 19, 2007, 11:46:39 PM
alright, it's fall...  Although I've been eating 1-2 bowls of chili per week since January (typically a bowl with a pale ale at the Onion pub for lunch on Wednesday) and then if I've made it for dinner, it's finally time to break out the recipe that I've been recently adhering to...

Thanks jephery.  I've got a chili cook off to attend this weekend and was wondering how I could spice up the old recipe.  This looks wonderful.  I'll try this out.  K+

Bobafett

Round here, this cooler weather calls for a staple, Red Beans and Rice.  A lot of peeps just use some prepacked mix, but it is really quite simple to make at home, and 10 times better, both in taste and nutrition (MSG sux)  Here is one that has about 20 years of restaurant use under its belt, so its tried and true.

Red Beans and Rice

1 ham hocks
1 c onions, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 T black pepper
1 bay leaves
1# link sausages, cut into ¼" rounds
1 # ham, diced
2 T Tabasco
2Qts water
1/4 c.Worchester
1 T salt
2 T oil
2 12 oz cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed

In large saucepot, sauté onions, celery, garlic until tender, 2 minutes.  Add ham and sausage and cook until browned, 5-7 minutes.  Add Tabasco, water, Worchester, salt, pepper, bay leaves and ham hocks and bring to simmer.  Once simmering, add beans and cook 1.5 hours.  Smash some of the beans against the pot with spoon to thicken slightly.  Cook additional 20 minutes.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

All you need is some rice properly cooked up on the side.  Enjoy, and let me know what you think. 

Chef Sprocket :-P
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

metalzone58

Quote from: jephrey on October 19, 2007, 11:46:39 PM

1lb ground beef
1/4 to 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
1 poblano pepper chopped
1 small to medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
S+P to taste

fry those things up in the bottom of the stock pot...  Drain only some of the grease.

After the onions are translucent and the beef is at least mostly cooked add (these are total approximations)
6oz of a well hopped IPA or red or brown ale (I've done it with all 3 to good success)
1T brown sugar
1/2 t curry powder
1t oregano
1/4t paprika
1/4t cayenne
1/4t red pepper flakes
about 8 dried chopped chili peppers
1 habanero pepper
a grip of chopped fresh cilantro
3/4t cumin

then do up the tomatoes, I go with (these are the normal 14 or so ounce cans)
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce or puree'd tomatoes
1 "mini can" of tomato paste (you know what I'm talkin'bout)

Simmer for a LONG time -- HOURS.  Then add

1/2 can corn
3/4 can black beans
1 can kidney beans (dark or light don't matter, they're both pink on the inside  :wink: )

Simmer for another half hour.  DONE

Best served with sweet cream butter and sourdough bread, but oyster crackers work too.

garnish with chopped green onions and cheddar.

My thoughts on chili and this recipe in particular...

This recipe is for pretty spicy chili.  You could remove the habanero or some of the chili peppers or cayenne or pepper flakes to reduce the heat (I'd start with the flakes and cayenne because the habanero and chili peppers provide more flavor that you want in this chili.)  The poblano pepper and cilantro along with the cumin give it a Mexican feel...  When you add the cilantro, it's a great scent...  I go with corn and black beans just for flair but I've made it without them and the chili has been good.  The beer is necessary and when you add it, you can really tell how it aids the flavor...  Get a heavily hopped beer because that will impart the most.  This must be eaten with a beer in hand.  Best is to drink the beer you added to the chili when you eat it.  So awesome.

Alterations...  Don't be afraid to add leftover salsa, giardiniera, taco sauce, jalapenos, tabasco, chulula, or anything else you have laying around.

I know that many have their own recipe that they swear by, and this ever-changing one is the one that I dig the most.

Tonight's chili was made with Lagunitas Imperial Red (which is my new favorite red ale - move over cascazilla) and it is superb.

I cooked this yesterday and it came out great, I used chilli powder instead of cayenne, peak organics IPA, and added more beans

cimsm

Quote from: metalzone58 on October 22, 2007, 08:01:26 PM
I cooked this yesterday and it came out great, I used chilli powder instead of cayenne, peak organics IPA, and added more beans
I too cooked this yesterday, and also used chili powder instead of cayenne.  Absolutely delish!
I used Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale (and drank the rest of the 6 pack.)
Great recipe!  +K

shoreline99

OK, a couple of white chili recipes for y'all...

White Chili

In your favorite chili pot....

Saute:
4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped (or pressed)
1 large yellow onion, chopped

Add in:
2 pounds cooked, chopped chicken
4 (16oz) cans of Great Northern Beans
1 (16oz) can stewed tomatoes
1 small can of chopped Green Chilies
3 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup chopped jalapenos *
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper *
1 tablespoon Tabasco *
2 teaspoons oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Bring to a boil, and continue to cook at a low simmer for at least an hour. I usually go close to 3 hours (or until I can't stand it anymore) - it seems to break everything down a little better. The recipe above is a bit too hot for the kids' tastes, so usually I cut out the jalapenos, and only use a teaspoon of cayenne and Tabasco.

Optional Serving Suggestion:
Martha Stewart would top each bowl with chopped green pepper, red onion, cilantro and a dab of sour cream. I prefer to just dig in.

White Chicken Chili

1/2 lb. dried navy beans, picked over
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon Tabasco, or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon white pepper, or to taste
2 4 oz. cans whole mild green chilies, drained and chopped
5 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 lbs.) cooked and cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack (about 6 ounces)
1/2 cup sour cream
Garnish: fresh coriander sprigs
Accompaniment: tomato salsa

Soak the beans overnight then drain them and cover with 2 inches of cold water. Cook at a bare simmer until tender, about 1 hour, and drain.
In a skillet, cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter over moderate heat until softened. In a heavy kettle, melt remaining butter over low head and whisk in flour. Cook roux, whisking continuously, 3 minutes. Stir in onion and gradually add broth and half and half, whisking constantly. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in Tabasco, chili powder, cumin, salt, and white pepper. Add beans, chilies, chicken, and Monterey Jack and cook mixture over moderately low heat, stirring, 20 min. Stir sour cream into the chili.
Garnish chili with coriander and serve with salsa.

Serves 4-6.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

jephrey

Good call on the white, my wife goes with ground turkey and a few less notches on the heat.  I may have to try one of those.

Replacing the cayenne with chili powder doesn't do a ton because the powder is the same as the 8 dried/chopped chili peppers, but it will reduce the heat. Or you could remove some of the habanero or the pepper flakes.  Removing the cayenne along with the flakes could be good, because that'd leave just the habanero and chili as the hot peppers and the paprika and poblano as the milds, not making it too much of a blend.

Anywho, anyone got a good turkey rub or something like that?  My favorite holiday is right around the corner.

J

cimsm

By the way, NEVER go to the bathroom after chopping habaneros...  :evil: :-o
Even after washing  your hands several times.

Bobafett

Ha.  Yeah the first time i ate a piece, i was a dishwasher in a Thai restaurant.  it was hot, but i didn't think i needed to wash my hands b/f peeing.  For 4 hours i could not stand still, and the little thai lady who ran the joint just laughed all day long.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.