News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

I know there are a few of you on here that like to cook.  I was wondering if you all could recommend some Gluten Free Recipes or if there was a good place on the interwebz to find something like that. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

rowjimmy

Quote from: antelope19 on July 08, 2009, 09:39:00 AM
I know there are a few of you on here that like to cook.  I was wondering if you all could recommend some Gluten Free Recipes or if there was a good place on the interwebz to find something like that. 

Can't suggest any personally, but
http://tinyurl.com/l5aukb

khalpin

http://www.epicurious.com/recipesmenus/advancedsearch

You check off "gluten free" and do your search, or just browse them all.  I love epicurious.com as it has all of the recipes from Bon Appetit and Gourmet magazine from the past 20 years or so.  Plus you can check out the ratings and reviews to see whether or not it's worth the trouble.

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 08, 2009, 09:45:20 AM

Can't suggest any personally, but
http://tinyurl.com/l5aukb

:lol:

yeah, yeah, yeah.......OBVIOUSLY, I can google it.  I guess I was more looking for stuff people have actually tried.  I know there are a few chefs on here.    

antelope19

Quote from: khalpin on July 08, 2009, 09:48:31 AM
http://www.epicurious.com/recipesmenus/advancedsearch

You check off "gluten free" and do your search, or just browse them all.  I love epicurious.com as it has all of the recipes from Bon Appetit and Gourmet magazine from the past 20 years or so.  Plus you can check out the ratings and reviews to see whether or not it's worth the trouble.

Thank You, khalphin!

guyforget

the only thing ive ever worried about doing gluten-free was baked goods, cookies, etc.  the only gluten-free cookie recipe ive ever used is Alton Brown's. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-gluten-free-recipe/index.html

as far as entrees and appetizers and shit go, i rarely use flour or other glutenous products in my day-to-day cooking, and unless youre always making roux and gravy or something it shouldnt be that hard to avoid flour or wheat products in your cooking. 

if youve got something in mind that does include flour or wheat products, i could probably tell you how to avoid it and what to use as alternatives.  but baked stuff is the most common thing that needs to be altered to avoid gluten. 

-AD_

antelope19

Quote from: guyforget on July 08, 2009, 09:55:12 AM
the only thing ive ever worried about doing gluten-free was baked goods, cookies, etc.  the only gluten-free cookie recipe ive ever used is Alton Brown's. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-gluten-free-recipe/index.html

as far as entrees and appetizers and shit go, i rarely use flour or other glutenous products in my day-to-day cooking, and unless youre always making roux and gravy or something it shouldnt be that hard to avoid flour or wheat products in your cooking. 

if youve got something in mind that does include flour or wheat products, i could probably tell you how to avoid it and what to use as alternatives.  but baked stuff is the most common thing that needs to be altered to avoid gluten. 

I actually had some Gluten Free Carrot Cake last night that was delicious!

guyforget

Also, If youre not into trying to bake things yourself, I know someone in NYC whose mom has a mail-order gluten-free baked goods business. 
-AD_

alcoholandcoffeebeans

there's a great book fair in Chicago, on Printer's row every year....
i strayed away from my diet that i liked a lot about a year ago and i'm tryign to work my way back to it...
i was Pescatarian.... which means i only ate seafood as far as meat was concerned....

anyhow, i bought a great cookbook from some people there, and they have a few gluten/dairy free book to try out.....

http://healthy-eating.com

QuoteGluten-Free French Desserts and Baked Goods
Valerie Cupillard
Enjoy Valerie's secrets for employing a wealth of gluten-free ingredients that will allow you to easily prepare tasty, original baked goods that will tempt your family and introduce new flavors to your guests. Many color photos - 144 pgs oversize

and this is a site that seems to be super beginner friendly....

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/04/gluten-free-cheat-sheet-how-to-go-g.html

(and if you dig vegan based stuff, and the place is still there in Carytown... hit up the bakery/coffee shop on the corner by the 7-11 & wachovia bank... best vegan zuccini and pumpkin bread on earth....i think it's called Betsy's...)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

McGrupp

Been a while - anyone got some new recipes they want to share?

Here's my recipe for boneless fried chicken. I hope someone tries this, because it's easy and DELICIOUS.

Ingredients
Boneless chicken breasts
Eggs
Honey
Milk
Flour
Old Bay
Garlic Pepper
Chili Powder
Salt
Canola Oil

How you do it
Cut up the chicken breasts to the size/thickness you want. Poke some holes in them with a fork. Toss them in a ziplock bag. Add to the ziplock bag: 4 beaten eggs, 1/4 cup milk, 1 1/2 tbsp honey. Move the chicken around in the bag so as to get max coverage. Seal the bag and put it in the fridge for about 2 hours (although, the longer the better).

For the "breading" (not really breading, but who cares), I don't really have specific amounts for each of these ingredients, and of course it all depends on how much you're making, but I'll just list them in order of "most to least".

In a large bowl, combine: Flour, Old Bay seasoning (a good amount, you want the mixture to be decently red), garlic pepper (garlic powder works fine too), Chili powder and some salt. Taste the mixture to see how you like it. The old bay will give it a bit of a kick. Don't make it too salty or else the chicken will dry up.

Put cooking oil in a pan on medium heat. You want enough oil so that the pan is covered, and it goes to about halfway the thickness of the chicken.

Take your chicken pieces out of the ziplock bag and one-by-one put them in your dry "breading" mixture. Get them well covered, and then place them on your heated pan. Put some more of the dry mixture on top of the chicken once its in the pan. Cook for 7 minutes on each side, but do not flip back and forth, or else the chicken will be too tough.

I've never shared this recipe with anyone, but a lot of people ask for it. Feel special, paug!

Enjoy!
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

nab

Here's whats for dinner tonight:

French Onion Soup

Ingredients:

4-5 large red onions
Handful of Fresh Thyme
7-8 Garlic Cloves
2-3 Packets of Powdered AuJus
1 Bottle of Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce
5-6 Cans of Beef Broth
Approx 1/4 Bottle of a Dry Red Wine
Smoked Provolone Cheese (or other white smoked cheese, the higher end the better)
1 Baguette (The skinny kind, preferably from local bakery and not supermarket which isn't usually crusty enough)
1 Stick of Butter (yes it has to be butter)

1.  Slice onions in half lengthwise (from stem to root) and slice halves into approx 1/2 cm "rings"

2.  Crush garlic and set aside

3.  Gather thyme from stems and give the pile a once over with a chef's knife.  Doesn't need to be too small, just enough to sort of bruise the leaves to open up the oils that give flavor.

4.  Melt approx 3/4 stick of butter in large sauce pan.  You're gonna need the big guy for this recipe.

5.  Add onions and thyme to the pan and stir until everything is coated in butter.  Turn heat down to low.  Here is where patients will be involved.  The object is to caramelize the onions, too cook them slowly until you see them turn a nice brown.  Cooking the onions too fast will result in burning them and adding a bitter taste to your soup.  You will probably need at least an hour for this process to occur, and you will have to do some stiring in that hour, so you can't just walk away.  If you notice the onions boiling, you need to turn down the heat.  Covered or uncovered doesn't matter too much, though I tend to keep temp control better uncovered.

6.  Add garlic about halfway through the carmilization process.

7.  While onions are cooking, make crustinies for the top of the soup.
              - Slice bread into thick wafer sized slices
              - Brush melted butter on each side of bread and place on a cookie sheet
              - If you so choose, dried herbs can be added to the melted butter
              - Place cookie sheet in oven and set oven to broil
              - Watch the bread.  Turn it when the side facing the broiler starts to brown.  It is very easy to              burn the bread this way, so attention will need to be focused on the process.
              - Let bread cool.  Should produce a hardened brown disc.

8.  When onions have completely caramelized, add 1/2 bottle of Kitchen Bouquet, stir.  Then add AuJus packets, stir.  Then add red wine (it is important to not use Burgundy or other sweet red wine, the onions should be the only thing adding sweetness to your soup).  Stir the ingredients well and add beef broth.  Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil.

9.  While soup is heating, slice cheese into thin slices.  You are aiming for slices that will melt easily under the broiler but still add a nice layer on the top of the soup.

10.  Boil the soup for a few minutes and decrease to a simmer.  How much time the soup simmers is up to you.  You could serve the soup after 15 mins or so, but an hour or so is better. 

11.  To serve soup, ladle into oven safe bowls.  Then float toasted bread on top of soup.  On top of the bread add a generous, though meltable, layer of cheese.  Turn oven to broil again and place soup in oven.  Broil the soup until the cheese layer begins to brown. 

Serve and enjoy. 

Edit to add picture of Kitchen Bouquet Browning which some of you may not be familiar with:

justjezmund

hey i work for the bonefish grill as some of you know.  and if you have ever been to one and had the bang bang shrimp you know its the shit.  and if you haven't and you want the best spicy dipping sauce ever here ya go.  i usually make a shit ton of this but i will break it down for ya here.

1 half gal of mayo
1.5 cups of chili garlic sauce
.5 cup of sweet thai chili sauce
.25 cup of lemon juice
1 tbls white vinegar

if youve had it you know what its all about, and if not i dare you to try it with anything.  I swear I have been eating it with chicken, fires, shrimp, anything thats good to eat will be equally accompanied by this sauce.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

metalzone58

Quote from: McGrupp on November 08, 2009, 11:48:29 AM

Here's my recipe for boneless fried chicken. I hope someone tries this, because it's easy and DELICIOUS.

Ingredients
Boneless chicken breasts
Eggs
Honey
Milk
Flour
Old Bay
Garlic Pepper
Chili Powder
Salt
Canola Oil

How you do it
Cut up the chicken breasts to the size/thickness you want. Poke some holes in them with a fork. Toss them in a ziplock bag. Add to the ziplock bag: 4 beaten eggs, 1/4 cup milk, 1 1/2 tbsp honey. Move the chicken around in the bag so as to get max coverage. Seal the bag and put it in the fridge for about 2 hours (although, the longer the better).

For the "breading" (not really breading, but who cares), I don't really have specific amounts for each of these ingredients, and of course it all depends on how much you're making, but I'll just list them in order of "most to least".

In a large bowl, combine: Flour, Old Bay seasoning (a good amount, you want the mixture to be decently red), garlic pepper (garlic powder works fine too), Chili powder and some salt. Taste the mixture to see how you like it. The old bay will give it a bit of a kick. Don't make it too salty or else the chicken will dry up.

Put cooking oil in a pan on medium heat. You want enough oil so that the pan is covered, and it goes to about halfway the thickness of the chicken.

Take your chicken pieces out of the ziplock bag and one-by-one put them in your dry "breading" mixture. Get them well covered, and then place them on your heated pan. Put some more of the dry mixture on top of the chicken once its in the pan. Cook for 7 minutes on each side, but do not flip back and forth, or else the chicken will be too tough.

I've never shared this recipe with anyone, but a lot of people ask for it. Feel special, paug!

Enjoy!

WOW!!! This is a good recipe  :banana: :beers: :beerbang:

McGrupp

Quote from: metalzone58 on November 15, 2009, 02:37:31 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on November 08, 2009, 11:48:29 AM

Ingredients
Boneless chicken breasts
Eggs
Honey
Milk
Flour
Old Bay
Garlic Pepper
Chili Powder
Salt
Canola Oil

How you do it

Enjoy!

WOW!!! This is a good recipe  :banana: :beers: :beerbang:

Glad you liked it! Did you end up finding the Old Bay?  :beers:
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

metalzone58

Yes, I did. I've never heard of it or seen it before, but it was easy to find in my local grocery store.