News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreline99

Quote from: shoreline99 on May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM
Strawberry-Mustard BBQ Sauce
1-1/2 cups
INGREDIENTS

• 2 cups strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
• 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
• 1/2 cup loosely packed light brown sugar
• 1/2 cup molasses
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

DIRECTIONS
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pot and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly and carefully transfer the ingredients to a blender or food processor, and puree until smooth, 2 minutes. Transfer to a clean, dry container and chill completely. Use for chicken, ribs or on mixed grilled vegetables. This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week in a covered container.

Great on chicken or pork.

Allow me to say, this still kicks ass.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

aphineday

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 31, 2011, 01:30:45 AM
Per request... I did work from a recipe I found online, but I made several modifications and it turned out great!

PIE-GUY's Bison-Stuffed Poblanos

First of all, the recipe I used as a base was for stuffed Green Peppers... BORING! If you don't have poblanos in your area, the green peppers work fine. You can see in the pic that I made 4 poblanos and 2 green peppers. The poblanos were sooooo much better, though! So, here's my attempt to make this a real recipe:

Ingredients:
6 Large fresh poblano peppers
1 lb ground bison (or beef)
1 medium onion chopped
1 can Ro-Tel (used diced tomatoes if Ro-Tel does not exist in your state)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Ground black pepper and salt to taste
pinches of cumin and/or chipotle chili powder to taste
1 small sweet potato chopped into 1/4 inch cubes (recipe called for 3/4 cup minute rice, but fuck that. Sweet potato rules and adds color)
2 cups of shredded cheddar/colby jack mixed cheese
2 cans of condensed tomato soup (in the future, I will likely add some other spices to this soup part)
1/2 cup diced scallions (recipe called for chopped parsley, but scallions bring the color and the flavor)

Prep:

Pre-heat oven to 350.
Bring a large pot of water to boil.
Cut the tops off the poblanos at an angle so they end up like canoes (keep and chop all the excess pepper for the mix!) Remove all seeds, etc.
Boil each pepper for about 5 minutes turning them once so all sides get equally cooked (This softens them up so they don't break when you stuff them).
Drain peppers and place them in a baking dish... sprinkle the insides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Boil the sweet potatoes for about 10 minutes in the same water (do not over-cook. they should still be a bit firm) then strain them.
Brown the bison in a large skillet or wok, adding the onion and pepper about 2 minutes in.
Drain off any excess fat.
Return to stove and add sweet potatoes, Ro-Tel, Worcestershire, about a 1/2 cup of water and spices to taste.
Let simmer for about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to cool until luke warm (i actually put the whole wok in the fridge to speed this process).
Once luke warm, mix in 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
Stuff the mixture into the peppers.
pour the condensed soup into a bowl and slowly mix in water until you achieve a gravy consistency (probably less than a cup).
Pour the soup/gravy over the top of the peppers.
Mix the chopped scallions with the remain cup of cheese and cover the tops of the peppers with it.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble and turn a little brown.

Enjoy!

I'm about to give these a shot this week. Sounds delicious.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

McGrupp

baked golden beets (sliced round) + fresh cucumber + soy sauce + a little fresh ginger = excellent snack.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Bobafett

Here's what I'm making tonight: 

Lamb meatballs with orange salad

Meatballs:
1# ground pork
1.5# ground lamb
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1/4 c cold water
1 T fresh oregano
1/2 T fresh parsley
1/2 T fresh rosemary
3 T kosher salt
2 T black pepper
3/4 c Panko
1 T minced garlic
2 T minced shallot

Pretty simple.  be sure not to overmix or smush this too much...a sloppy raw meatball will make a moist finished product, just want it evenly mixed.  I will throw this in the fridge for an hour or so to stiffen up a bit and let the flavors meld.  This can be done the day before with no problems.  I like to just use my hands to form these into quarter sized balls, but you could use a small icecream scoop dipped in hot water between balls.  place on a sheet tray and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes, then broil on low for 1-2 minutes.  These could also be browned in a skilled with a little oil and then baked.

Orange Salad:

4 oranges (CaraCara's are on sale here, kinda grapefruity), "supremed"
2 T honey
1 T fresh mint
1/2 c pitted, halved Kalamata olives
juice from orange "cores"
2 T toasted chopped walnuts
pinch of salt and white pepper

This is a riff on this amazing south american restaurant i stumbled on in San Diego.  It is great by itself, just mix all this together and keep it chilled until ready to eat. 
Gonna eat it over a bed of mixed greens tossed with reduced balsamic and walnut oil.  I'll keep you posted.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

UncleEbinezer

I made some Bourbon Brined Pork Chops and Volcanic Applesauce last night.  BANGIN!

The volcanic applesauce is meh by itself, but compliments the pork chop so well when you dip you the chop in the apple sauce. 

As for the recipe I followed it pretty well, except I didn't throw on any wood chips and I used store bought Mott's apple sauce.  Oh and I was only making for 2 but I still made the brine as suggested.  Cutting it didn't seem to make any sense since its a brine.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

Bourbon Brined Pork Chops

Ingredients

Serves:
4   Loin PorkChops (each 1 inch think and 10 to 12 ounces)
1    small Onion, thinly sliced
2   Bay Leaves
1   Cinnamon Stick
10   Black Peppercorns
5   Allspice Berries
3   Cloves
3   tablespoons BrownSugar
3   tablespoons Coarse Salt
1   cup Hot Water
2   cups Cold Water
3   tablespoons Bourbon
2   tablespoons Walnut, Hazelnut, or Vegetable Oil, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons for basting

Directions

Rinse the pork chops under cold running water and blot dry with paper towels. Arrange the chops in a baking dish just large enough to hold them or in a resealable plastic bag. Arrange the onion, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, allspice, and cloves over the meat.

Make the brine: Combine the brown sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the hot water and whisk until the brown sugar and salt are dissolved. Stir in the cold water, bourbon, and 2 tablespoons of oil. Pour this mixture over the chops, turning the chops a couple of times to coat evenly. Brine the chops, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours, turning once or twice to ensure even brining.

Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to high. If using a gas grill, place the wood chips in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat until you see smoke.

When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Drain the pork chops and blot dry with paper towels, dusting off any loose spices. Brush the chops on both sides with the remaining oil. Arrange the chops in the center of the hot grate away from the heat. If using a charcoal grill, toss the wood chips on the coals. Cover the grill and smoke the chops for 20 minutes. Then move the chops directly over the heat: If using a charcoal grill, place 2 chops on each side over the mounds of coals. If using a gas grill, place all 4 chops over the lit portion of the grill. Grill the chops, uncovered, until cooked through (about 160 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant-read meat thermometer), 4 to 7 minutes per side, rotating the chops 90 degrees after two minutes to create an attractive crosshatch of grill marks. Transfer the chops to plates or a platter and let rest for 3 minutes, then serve at once.

VOLCANIC APPLESAUCE

Serves:

Makes 1 cup, serving 4

Ingredients:
1 piece (1 to 2 inches long and 1 to 1-1/2 inches across; about 2 ounces) fresh horseradish
1 cup applesauce (preferably homemade)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
Peel the horseradish and finely grate it into a mixing bowl or chop it in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. (If using a food processor, cut the horseradish into 1/4-inch thick slices before processing.) Whichever method you use, take care not to breathe the potent horseradish fumes. Stir in the applesauce and cinnamon. The applesauce can be made up to 12 hours ahead. Store it in the refrigerator, covered.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

Gundo

Anyone have a favorite Mediterranean dish they like to make? I'm having a going away party for a friend of mine and we all decided on a Mediterranean night. Something easy but filling would be nice.

shoreline99

[I haven't been shopping in a while] Empty Pantry Red Beans & Rice

Olive oil
1 kielbasa or chorizo sausage
1 onion
4 cloves garlic (or two heaping spoonfuls chopped garlic)
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 TBSP Creole or Cajun seasoning
3 14.5/15 oz cans Red beans (any type)

3 cups uncooked rice (not instant)

Your favorite hot sauce

Swirl a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy pan or dutch oven and heat over medium until hot. Add onion, sausage and garlic. Cover. Saute until onions start to brown, about ten minutes.

Add in cajun seasoning (FWIW, i make my own but you can use Emeril's Essence or some other cajun seasoning) and stir for about a minute.

Add in broth and beans (I drain them slightly but not all the way). Bring to a boil and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Add salt/pepper to taste.

Cook rice according to package directions. Should make about 6 cups of rice when done.

Put rice in bowl. Ladle bean mixture on top. Add hot sauce. Enjoy. Watch food disappear.

McGrupp

Not my recipe, but making this for my sick girlfriend tonight:

Corn and Crab Chowder

Ingredients

6 bacon slices
    2 celery ribs, diced
    1 medium-size green bell pepper, diced
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
    1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3 cups fresh corn kernels (6 ears)
    1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, drained and picked
    1 cup whipping cream
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    Oyster crackers
    Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation

1. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in Dutch oven. Crumble bacon.
2. Sauté celery and next 3 ingredients in hot drippings 5 to 6 minutes or until tender.
3. Whisk together broth and flour until smooth. Add to celery mixture. Stir in corn. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Gently stir in crabmeat and next 4 ingredients; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve warm with crumbled bacon and oyster crackers.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

gah

Quote from: shoreline99 on October 24, 2011, 03:32:29 PM

Olive oil
1 onion

Your favorite hot sauce

Swirl a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy pan or dutch oven and heat over medium until hot. Add onion, sausage and garlic. Cover. Saute until onions start to brown, about ten minutes.

Add in cajun seasoning (FWIW, i make my own but you can use Emeril's Essence or some other cajun seasoning) and stir for about a minute.

Add in broth and beans (I drain them slightly but not all the way). Bring to a boil and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Add salt/pepper to taste.

Cook rice according to package directions. Should make about 6 cups of rice when done.

Put rice in bowl. Ladle bean mixture on top. Add hot sauce. Enjoy. Watch food disappear.

One thing I'd add to this is to use a fork to smash up about 1/4 of the red beans on the side of the pot after about 15 mins for a creamier red beans mixture.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: McGrupp on November 01, 2011, 12:02:47 PM

Corn and Crab Chowder

Ingredients

6 bacon slices
    2 celery ribs, diced
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 cup whipping cream
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    Oyster crackers

Preparation

1. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in Dutch oven. Crumble bacon.
2. Sauté celery and next 3 ingredients in hot drippings 5 to 6 minutes or until tender.
3. Whisk together broth and flour until smooth. Add to celery mixture. Stir in corn. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Gently stir in crabmeat and next 4 ingredients; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve warm with crumbled bacon and oyster crackers.

Foodnetwork recipe?  I think I was eyeing this a week or so ago. 

:waits for outcome:
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

McGrupp

I got it here: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/corn-and-crab-chowder-10000001662927/

It has bacon so.... how can it not be a win?

I'll let you know the (winning) outcome tonight.

shoreline99

Quote from: goodabouthood on November 01, 2011, 12:23:29 PM
Quote from: shoreline99 on October 24, 2011, 03:32:29 PM

Olive oil
1 onion

Your favorite hot sauce

One thing I'd add to this is to use a fork to smash up about 1/4 of the red beans on the side of the pot after about 15 mins for a creamier red beans mixture.

Cool, thanks

mattstick

I've been doing this with Chicken Thighs and Chicken Breasts... then using the pulled chicken meat for pizza or tacos, even sandwiches.

Mexican Pulled Chicken
(serves 2-4)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
3/4 cup salsa
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 lime juiced

In a heavy, lidded pot heat olive oil to medium and add onion, cumin, chili powder and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Cook onion, stirring regularly until it starts to soften. Add chicken, salsa and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Remove chicken from pot and set aside. While chicken cools bring the uncovered sauce to a boil, and reduce for 5 minutes. When the chicken is cool enough shred it with two forks. Stir chicken back into sauce and reduce heat to low. Add lime juice.

mattstick

Also, there was some talk of making your own pizza dough in the food processor... this is super easy and it doesn't even have to be that warm for the dough to rise nicely.

Pizza dough

1 package Active Dry Yeast
1 tsp Sugar
2/3 cup warm water

1 2/3 cups flour
1 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp salt

Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.  Wait 5 minutes.

With metal mixer blade in food processor, add flour, olive oil and salt.
Slowly add yeast mixture with machine running until dough turns into a
ball, process additional 30 seconds to knead dough.

Add small amount of olive oil to a food storage bag and place dough in
bag, then seal. Let dough rise for approximately 45 minutes.

McGrupp

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on November 01, 2011, 01:26:59 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on November 01, 2011, 12:02:47 PM

Corn and Crab Chowder

Ingredients

6 bacon slices
    2 celery ribs, diced
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 cup whipping cream
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    Oyster crackers

Preparation

Foodnetwork recipe?  I think I was eyeing this a week or so ago. 

:waits for outcome:

That shit fucking rocked. Of course, I used more bacon fat than the recipe calls for. And I had to thicken it up a bit with about 1 tbsp more flour. I also didn't de-seed the jalepeno so it had a good kick to it.

The pound of crab meat cost almost $25 at my local kroger though. If I had gone frozen or shopped elsewhere, I'm sure it would have been cheaper - but that was the only drawback.