News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

^That was SUPER easy to make, btw.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

UncleEbinezer

Soups, chilis and stews are where its at in the winter.  I try to make a big batch of something every week or 2 early on in the fall, such as right now, so we can maintain variety and makes dinner easier.  You throw in a panini, a fire and some brews...pretty good evening. 

Basically, that is what I will be doing tonight. 
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

McGrupp

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on November 11, 2011, 01:33:06 PM
Soups, chilis and stews are where its at in the winter.  I try to make a big batch of something every week or 2 early on in the fall, such as right now, so we can maintain variety and makes dinner easier.  You throw in a panini, a fire and some brews...pretty good evening. 

Feel free to share any and all soup recipes.

Although tonight I think I might make twice baked potatoes.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Igbo

Not my recipe but made this last week. BOMB and super easy!!

Posole, a mexican chicken soup with a awesome chipotle broth!

http://www.esquire.com/features/guy-food/posole-soup-recipe-0411

McGrupp

Quote from: Igbo on November 11, 2011, 03:22:02 PM

Hot damn that looks great.

I'll have to make that in the next week or two.

ytowndan

Quote from: McGrupp on November 11, 2011, 03:43:36 PM
Quote from: Igbo on November 11, 2011, 03:22:02 PM

Hot damn that looks great.

I'll have to make that in the next week or two.

Definitely.  I may try it with the pork shoulder, though.  Either way, sounds awesome!
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Igbo

Bought a turkey at the grocery store yesterday since they are dirt cheap this time of year.

Made a brine for it with water, salt, sugar, 2 garlic cloves, peppercorns, cloves, and a cinnamon stick.

Poured the brine over the turkey and let it sit in the brine over night.

This morning took it out of the brine and rinsed it off.

Made a dry rub for the bird with salt, pepper, garlic, sage, tarragon, parsley, rosemary, (all the herbs were dried not fresh), dried red pepper, and brown sugar. Coated the bird with the dry rub inside and out. Stuffed the cavity with fresh rosemary, fresh parsley, 1/2 a lemon and a little olive oil.

Put the entire bird on the grill using indirect cooking. Put a handful of soaked hickory and apple wood chips on the coals every hour or so. Kept the grill around 275 degrees for 5 hours.

Below is the end result. I'll put my smoked turkey up against a deep fried bird any day.

mehead

Quote from: Igbo on November 13, 2011, 05:17:58 PM
Bought a turkey at the grocery store yesterday since they are dirt cheap this time of year.

Made a brine for it with water, salt, sugar, 2 garlic cloves, peppercorns, cloves, and a cinnamon stick.

Poured the brine over the turkey and let it sit in the brine over night.

This morning took it out of the brine and rinsed it off.

Made a dry rub for the bird with salt, pepper, garlic, sage, tarragon, parsley, rosemary, (all the herbs were dried not fresh), dried red pepper, and brown sugar. Coated the bird with the dry rub inside and out. Stuffed the cavity with fresh rosemary, fresh parsley, 1/2 a lemon and a little olive oil.

Put the entire bird on the grill using indirect cooking. Put a handful of soaked hickory and apple wood chips on the coals every hour or so. Kept the grill around 275 degrees for 5 hours.

Below is the end result. I'll put my smoked turkey up against a deep fried bird any day.

looks and sounds amazing  :beers:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

UncleEbinezer

Damn Igbo!  Looks amazing.  Did you use charcoal or gas grill?  I have both and I am interested in doing this.  I keep saying I want to make a turkey at other times than Thanksgiving Day.  This sounds like my recipe!

As for a recipe I have now done twice recently from the Food Network...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/white-bean-and-chicken-chili-recipe/index.html

QuoteWhite Bean and Chicken Chili

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds ground chicken
1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons chili powder
3 tablespoons flour
2 (15-ounce cans) cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1 bunch (about 1 pound) Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves chopped into 1-inch pieces
11/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions
In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the ground chicken, 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, fennel seeds, oregano, and chili powder. Cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Stir the flour into the chicken mixture. Add the beans, Swiss chard, corn, and chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a simmer, scraping up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Simmer for 55-60 minutes until the liquid has reduced by about half and the chili has thickened. Add the red pepper flakes and simmer for another 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Ladle the chili into serving bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.

Igbo

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on November 14, 2011, 09:09:04 AM
Damn Igbo!  Looks amazing.  Did you use charcoal or gas grill?  I have both and I am interested in doing this.  I keep saying I want to make a turkey at other times than Thanksgiving Day.  This sounds like my recipe!

Charcoal for life!!!  I use a natural lump hardwood charcoal not briquettes. Google what charcoal briquettes are made out of and you will never use them again. Hello sawdust from the floor of the cutting room at Home Depot.

Gas is good for a consistent temperature for long periods of time, which is great for smoking, but you definately lose out in flavor even with a smoker box for gas grills. BBQ purists dont touch gas. Or lighter fluid for that matter.

I had to add coals about 4 times during the entire process. No big deal really imo. In fact i think it adds to the fun.

If your grill doesnt have a thermometer, go buy one. When cooking for long periods of time, you obviously need to know temp as to not dry out whatever it is your cooking.

I prefer to use a lighter smoking wood like cherry, or apple if your just starting to smoke. The smoke is not as strong as a hickory or mesquite. I know use a mix of cherry and hickory. My boy cuts down trees for a living and brings me all the fresh cherry and hickory he cuts. Saves me $$$ on buying chips and I know where it came from.

Once you start smoking on the grill, it is really fun and definately try a bunch of stuff. Fish, banging. Steaks grilled with some wood chips, awesome. I even smoked some chicken livers the other day and pureed them for a bomb smoked chicken liver pate.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: Igbo on November 14, 2011, 09:43:31 AM
Quote from: UncleEbinezer on November 14, 2011, 09:09:04 AM

Charcoal for life!!!  I use a natural lump hardwood charcoal not briquettes. Google what charcoal briquettes are made out of and you will never use them again. Hello sawdust from the floor of the cutting room at Home Depot.

Gas is good for a consistent temperature for long periods of time, which is great for smoking, but you definately lose out in flavor even with a smoker box for gas grills. BBQ purists dont touch gas. Or lighter fluid for that matter.

I had to add coals about 4 times during the entire process. No big deal really imo. In fact i think it adds to the fun.

If your grill doesnt have a thermometer, go buy one. When cooking for long periods of time, you obviously need to know temp as to not dry out whatever it is your cooking.

I prefer to use a lighter smoking wood like cherry, or apple if your just starting to smoke. The smoke is not as strong as a hickory or mesquite. I know use a mix of cherry and hickory. My boy cuts down trees for a living and brings me all the fresh cherry and hickory he cuts. Saves me $$$ on buying chips and I know where it came from.

Once you start smoking on the grill, it is really fun and definately try a bunch of stuff. Fish, banging. Steaks grilled with some wood chips, awesome. I even smoked some chicken livers the other day and pureed them for a bomb smoked chicken liver pate.

Yeah, I use the lump hardwood usually when I go charcoal.  I call charcoal my weekend grill.  Gas is weekday.  I usually grill 5 nights a week in the summer and maybe 1-2 during the winter.  So charcoal would just be a lot to work with at that pace.  Also, I have a smoke box that I use on the gas.  I also do not use lighter fluid or ever use match light.  You can clearly taste the flavor.  I have a starter chimney thing and a remote thermometer too.  I'm pretty much set, just was curious of the process on the turkey.  When I do chicken and such, I usually do cut up pieces so I've never done a whole bird. 

gah

I'm going to Igbo's for Thanksgiving.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

emay

Quote from: sophist on November 02, 2011, 11:34:59 AM
the good bf points you earned for cooking for her while she was sick is worth way more than $25.  Longevity dude.  Rack that shit up when you can.  I did something similar for my gf a few weeks back (she was feeling sick and just wanted to lay low one night), and on Sunday I did my take on Cajun Chicken Creole.  Shit was so money. 

4 boneless thighs
1 diced red pepper
1 diced jalapeno
1 bag of boiled rice
1 can of black beans
2 Tbsp Mariana Sauce
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 Tbsp chicken broth
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup diced mushrooms

Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil, add onions, mushrooms, and peppers.  Saute.  In a separate skillet, cook the chicken in 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, add Cilantro, pepper, salt, cumin, and lemon pepper.  Cook chicken about 80%.  Pull off stove, and dice.  While the chicken is cooking, cook the black beans and the rice, mix cooked rice and beans.  Throw the chicken in the sauteed peppers, onions, and mushrooms pan.  Then add chicken broth, let cook, finally add rice and beans, then adding in Mariana sauce plus spices (curry, chili, salt, pepper).  Let sit for a few minutes and serve.

Made this the other night, very good! Fed 4 people for only 4 bucks a person!

sophist

So I made two batches of Gumbo over the weekend, the first was chicken, and the second was sausage and shrimp.  The sausage and shrimp went something like this: 

1/2 cup cilantro sliced
1 pound of shrimp peeled and deveined
1 pound of sausage sliced (cut each link into 6 slices)
1 bag of unboiled rice
2 quarts water
1 quart chicken broth
Cajun seasoning
blackened seasoning
pre-made gumbo stock (if you go to the seafood section of your local market, they will have several varieties to choose from, it doesn't matter which you use). 
3 tsp Olive Oil

So first thing is first, peel and de-vein the shrimp.  Then chop up the sausage.  Finally, cut up the 1/2 cup of cilantro.  Get 2 skillets.  Add 3 tsp of olive oil to one of the skillets and then coat with the blackened seasoning.  Throw the shrimp in there and coat it evenly.  The shrimp should cook a total of 4-5 minutes and should be tossed for even cooking.  With the blackened seasoning, they'll turn from a faint white to bright orange, and have that sauteed look.  Place in a bowl and set aside.  While the shrimp was cooking, I also cooked the sausage.  In the second skillet, toss them in there and then toss 1/4 cup of cilantro (save the remaining 1/4 for the soup itself).  I also cooked the sausage in a spicy cajun seasoning.  Cook.  As the sausage nears completion (once done cooking drain the fatty juices and let dry in a double folded paper towel), I then took a medium sauce pan and filled 3/4 full.  I cooked the rice for 11 minutes.  I also then set up the broth as the sausage was cooking.  I added 2 quarts water, 1 quart chicken broth, seasoned with black pepper, red pepper, basil. some ginger, and a little garlic.  I let this slowly come to a boil (the sausage should finish cooking prior to this).  Once at a boil, I added the shrimp, sausage, and remaining cilantro.  Stir.  Bring to a second boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 25 minutes. 

The riced completed cooking with about 10 minutes to go from the gumbo.  I set aside and let cool.  With about 5 minutes left, I scooped each bowl with rice, which was about 1/3 of the bowl.    Once the gumbo is done cooking, pour over rice and boom.  Enjoy. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gah

^^^ Nice. Two things tho, I'd add the fatty juices to the mix too, instead of getting rid of them. Also, I like mine with less rice, so I like to fill the bowl with the gumbo first, and then add a scoop of rice in the middle. Also, consider doing the chicken, shrimp, and sausage all together. Oh, and adding chopped up celery, corn, and 1/2 a jalapeno is good too. Ok, sorry that was more than 2 things  :-P
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.