News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: goodabouthood on September 04, 2012, 11:43:33 AM
The chicken thighs article, made me  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Solid work on the bacon modi!

vdb: egg/bacon/cheese sandwiches are the breakfast of champions!

I'm quite a regular bacon/egg/cheese sandwich guy, but usually it's something fairly straightforward: something cheddar-ish for the cheese, something breakfasty like a bagel or muffin for the bread. I also like to slap some cream cheese on that bitch -- try it sometime!

But this much more exotic variant was like a revelation.

And frittatas can be good, too.
Is this still Wombat?

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 04, 2012, 02:37:33 PM

I'm quite a regular bacon/egg/cheese sandwich guy, but usually it's something fairly straightforward: something cheddar-ish for the cheese, something breakfasty like a bagel or muffin for the bread. I also like to slap some cream cheese on that bitch -- try it sometime!

I was kidding about frittatas. 
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

VDB

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on September 04, 2012, 02:39:14 PM

I was kidding about frittatas.

Oh, uh, I mean... yeah! Those things suck! I was totally not serious!

But actually... check out chicken and goat cheese and spinach.
Is this still Wombat?

gah

I'm a whole wheat everything bagel, bacon, egg, swiss, onions, and hot sauce kinda guy myself. But yes, I can see how your version spiced it up a bit. hmmmm, bacon.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Igbo

So i finished the bacon process. Its friggin awesome!! A little saltier than I would like but nothing major, may need to tinker with the cure a bit.

The first pic is what it looked like after curing for 5 days and i rinsed the cure of and then after smoking it on the grill for 4 hrs around 200-215 with a mix of hickory and apple wood. Surprisingly its not a super smoky bacon, i think it just really deepened the overall flavor and didnt make it out and out smoky.

Second pic is after i cooked some up. I sliced it when the bacon came off the grill so it was difficult to slice thin even slices. I suggest slicing it when its cold so you get more even slices.

Third pic is the ill bacon cheeseburgers we made while we watched the Skins beat the Saints.

MeltMe

nice work on the bacon...looks good, haven't done that in years.  Sounds like a plan for this week.
nothing i see can be taken from me...

barnesy305

Quote from: Igbo on September 14, 2012, 12:33:05 PM
So i finished the bacon process. Its friggin awesome!! A little saltier than I would like but nothing major, may need to tinker with the cure a bit.

The first pic is what it looked like after curing for 5 days and i rinsed the cure of and then after smoking it on the grill for 4 hrs around 200-215 with a mix of hickory and apple wood. Surprisingly its not a super smoky bacon, i think it just really deepened the overall flavor and didnt make it out and out smoky.

Second pic is after i cooked some up. I sliced it when the bacon came off the grill so it was difficult to slice thin even slices. I suggest slicing it when its cold so you get more even slices.

Third pic is the ill bacon cheeseburgers we made while we watched the Skins beat the Saints.

Asshole didn't invite me over. What the fuck, I thought we were boys.

sls.stormyrider

nice work, igbo.

getting hungry (again)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sophist

Homemade Eggdrop Soup

Ingredients
Chicken stock, 2 cups
Grated fresh ginger, ¼ tsp
Soy sauce, ½ tbsp
Chopped tofu, 2 tbsp
2 cups white mushrooms
Chopped chives, 1 tsp
Lightly beaten egg, 1
Cornstarch, ½ tbsp
Salt and white pepper, to taste

In a large saucepan, bring chicken stock (save one tablespoon), grated ginger, mushrooms, chopped tofu and soy sauce to a boil, reduce flame and simmer. In another small bowl, mix cornstarch with one tablespoon of chicken stock, stir until well dissolved. Pour the cornstarch liquid into the boiling stock, stirring continuously, until the soup begins to thicken. Continue adding cornstarch depending upon your taste. Pour the beaten egg, very slowly over the stock, and stir the soup in quick successions. Turn off the flame as soon as you are done. Season the soup with salt and pepper, and garnish with chopped chives. Serve hot.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

Smoked Duck Verde Chili

2 green tomatoes
1 five pound whole duck
4 tomatillas
1 garlic clove (minced)
1 habanero pepper
1 poblano pepper
1 yellow sweet pepper
1 red sweet pepper
4 cherry peppers
1/2 can black beans (drained)
1/2 can pink beans (drained)
1 package rendered duck fat
1 shallot

garnish: 
spoonful sour cream
pinch 4 mexican cheese
squeeze of lime

Prep: 

Remove the innards and gizzard from the inside of the duck.  Rub duck with salt, pepper, and paprika.  I used a weber charcoal grill.  I built the coals up so it would make for a hotter fire.  I rigged a smoking pan/drip pan in the grill.  For the smoke flavore I used moe's apple flavored chips.  I smoked the duck for 2.5 hours.  It was slightly underdone, but this was intentional.  I diced the duck up, I kept the remains and through them in a slow cooker, and added 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and cayenne, and cooked for 6.5 hours on low.  I got an awesome stock from that.  Back to the main recipe. 

The portion of the duck I was adding to the chili, I also pan fried to add some crisp to it.  Just a tbsp of olive oil, and let sit on the stove top for about five minutes.  I diced the tomatillas, and green tomatoes up, along with the 4 cherry peppers.  This served as the base for chili.  I pureed this. 
I then took a tbsp of rendered duck fat, chopped up the shallot, and threw that in the crock pot.  Along with the minced garlic.  I let that cook for 3-4 minutes.  I then diced up all the remaining peppers and added.  Finally I added the verde base, then the beans, and finally the smoked duck.  I let the chili come to a boil, then reduced heat to a simmer where it cooked for about 35 minutes. 

I garnished with sour cream, cheese, and a squeeze of lime. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

McGrupp

This is something I threw together that turned out pretty well. Good, (relatively) healthy casserole that will keep well.

Italian Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake

Ingredients:

1lb Chicken Breast (seasoned, cooked, and cubed)
1/2lb Rotini Pasta
8oz cream cheese
1T olive oil
1 10oz pack frozen spinach, thawed, drained
1 14oz can Italian style diced tomatoes, undrained
1 Cup chopped onion
Salt, Pepper
1 1/2 C Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Method:

Cook pasta and chicken. Put them off to the side for later. Preheat oven to 375. Take a glass casserole dish and spread olive oil on bottom and sides. Sprinkle chopped onion in a single layer in casserole dish, put in the oven for 15 min or until onion is translucent. Combine chicken, pasta, cream cheese, spinach, tomatoes, salt & pepper in a large bowl, mixing well. Pour mixture from bowl to the casserole dish.  Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese on top. Put in oven for 15-20 min or until cheese has melted.

Enjoy.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

McGrupp

BTW, making Jephrey's chili for like the 15th time ever. Probably today or tomorrow. Can't give that recipe enough praise.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

PIE-GUY

I made chili this weekend and just had some of the leftovers for lunch today. It was a great batch. My chili is not like most chili's though. It's a sneaky way to make myself eat veggies. The recipe has evolved over time, but this is pretty much what I make every time I make chili these days.

this weekend's batch had:

1.5 lbs. of ground bison
2 yellow squash
2 zucchini squash (and one was local and HUGE)
1 large eggplant
2 large sweet potatoes
2 medium red onions
6 whole cloves of garlic
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 lg can of diced "fire-roasted" tomatoes
1 sm can of diced "fire-roasted" tomatoes and hatch green chilis
2 sm cans of white hominy
1 smoked chipotle pepper (kept it whole and just let it sit in there like you would a bay leaf)
1/2 bottle of Austin Amber Beer
spices - lots of spices

I steamed all the veggies (except those in cans) and browned the meat then combined everything in a huge pot. I kept the veggie "broth" from the steaming to add when I needed more liquid later. The only real trick to it is using the wooden spoon against the side of the pot to crush the garlic and sweet potatoes so you don't have huge chunks. I served with Frito's.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

squash and eggplant in chili?  :-o

Ground bison?  :clap:

trying to sneak in veggies but then topping with fritos?  :-D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: goodabouthood on September 25, 2012, 03:25:39 PM
squash and eggplant in chili?  :-o

I know it sounds crazy, but it works... also, hominy is key! Gives you that bean texture without the bean gas. Also, though my chili is far from traditional, Texans do NOT put beans in their chili no matter what.

Ground bison?  :clap:

I always use bison for anything that calls for ground beef. It's delicious, lower in fat, and always free range (you can't factory farm those huge beasts).

trying to sneak in veggies but then topping with fritos?  :-D

Ever read the ingredients for Frito's?

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul