News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Post-hiatus goodies

Started by flow00, June 26, 2006, 07:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: phan003 on June 27, 2006, 06:22:40 PM
are you kidding???????????

crank up the album version of limb by limb (perfect harmonies)
fall 94 amazing grace, every version is near perfection
The Curtain(with) 7/12/00 and 9/30/00 both have pitch perfect harmonies

Anybody can sing in the studio man!  *cough* Britney *cough*

Sometimes the boys hit the right notes but you've got to admit that often times they didn't, of the four I'd say Page is by far the best singer of the group, followed by Mike, then Trey and finally Henrietta.   :-)
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

susep

Out of all post hiatus jamming, the Scents and Subtle Sounds from 30July03 was their best. imo :-P

tet

that's partially why i'm so hot on that show.  the second set was also super amazing, with perhaps the best Twist ever. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sophist

7/30 is a good one

Ikki,
the boys do hit a sour note every blue moon, but for the most part the singing is good imo. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

lexslamman

If singing was all-important to me, I would be listening to Keisha Cole and Marvin Gaye constantly. Luckily, it isn't. I don't think there is anyone who can match the musicianship and chemistry of Phish...

... but on a related note I am pleased to announce that Mike has learned to sing awfully well during the present hiatus. His voice really impressed me at Bonnaroo.

sophist

agreed on that one, have you seen his recent interviews? He discusses how improving his singing was a result of Ramble Dove.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Quote from: lexslamman on June 27, 2006, 10:41:26 PM
If singing was all-important to me, I would be listening to Keisha Cole and Marvin Gaye constantly. Luckily, it isn't. I don't think there is anyone who can match the musicianship and chemistry of Phish...

True dat, listening to Phish for the quality of singing is like listening to the Beatles for Ringo's drumming prowess, smite away!   :samurai:
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

tet

Quote from: ikki on June 28, 2006, 01:39:50 AM
True dat, listening to Phish for the quality of singing is like listening to the Beatles for Ringo's drumming prowess, smite away!   :samurai:

:clap: :beers:
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: lexslamman on June 27, 2006, 06:06:11 PM
Quote from: phan003 on June 27, 2006, 12:20:45 PM
Quote from: lexslamman on June 26, 2006, 10:11:22 PM
IT was phantastic.
The '04 Vegas run was also excellent...
and don't miss the show (can't remember which one, too lazy to use zzyzx/setlist.com) where they brought back Destiny Unbound after a 12 year hiatus!
Vegas 04 is possibly one of the worst phish runs in the history of the band, it might of been a "good time" for those that attended, but in terms of quality,to call it excellent, is like listening to DMB "jam" and calling it 72 dead  :wink:

I respectfully disagree. There were more flubs in Vegas than I have ever seen from Phish, but that Meatstick show was HIGHly amusing - especially considering how absolutely spun I was.

--- but it certainly wasn't up to the spaciness of '98 Phish or the unbridled improvisation and extended meddelies of '94.

DMB is good if you have no interest in solid improvisation or creative songwriting - individually they are great instrumentalists. And at least Dave can sing, unlike the Phab Phour.

dude, that's your opinion......don't tell me what my interests are, b/c you don't know...and I'm not sure what you mean by "solid improvisation" but DMB can improvise, solidly...........just b/c they rarely go type-II does not mean they cannot jam and jam well..........songwriting is killer as far as I'm concerned...........but I would also never compare DMB to stuff they're not - Phish or the Dead............that's about as nutty as comparing Phish and the Dead.     DMB is DMB........if you dont' like it, fine...........but don't tell me that I'm not into solid improvising b/c I'm into them..........

justjezmund

I didn't read the whole thing but i had to put in my 2 cents.

2-25-03(the forgotten underdog of philly, the theme in this is sick)
of course 2-28-03(the mighty return of destiny, and the train is the best by far)
I still am in love with 12-2-03( the second set just rips my face off, rock and roll>weekapaug>reprise is just great)
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Hicks

Quote from: Jezmund420 on June 28, 2006, 01:30:28 PM

of course 2-28-03(the mighty return of destiny, and the train is the best by far)

The best GBOTT was 6-14-00 IMO. 

lexslamman

Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on June 28, 2006, 12:48:04 PM
IT was phantastic.
and don't miss the show (can't remember which one, too lazy to use zzyzx/setlist.com) where they brought back Destiny Unbound after a 12 year hiatus!
Vegas 04 is possibly one of the worst phish runs in the history of the band, it might of been a "good time" for those that attended, but in terms of quality,to call it excellent, is like listening to DMB "jam" and calling it 72 dead  :wink:

I respectfully disagree. There were more flubs in Vegas than I have ever seen from Phish, but that Meatstick show was HIGHly amusing - especially considering how absolutely spun I was.

--- but it certainly wasn't up to the spaciness of '98 Phish or the unbridled improvisation and extended meddelies of '94.

DMB is good if you have no interest in solid improvisation or creative songwriting - individually they are great instrumentalists. And at least Dave can sing, unlike the Phab Phour.

dude, that's your opinion......don't tell me what my interests are, b/c you don't know...and I'm not sure what you mean by "solid improvisation" but DMB can improvise, solidly...........just b/c they rarely go type-II does not mean they cannot jam and jam well..........songwriting is killer as far as I'm concerned...........but I would also never compare DMB to stuff they're not - Phish or the Dead............that's about as nutty as comparing Phish and the Dead.     DMB is DMB........if you dont' like it, fine...........but don't tell me that I'm not into solid improvising b/c I'm into them..........

You appear to be right about the comparison thing but wrong about what I said. I wasn't trying to tell you what your interests are - I was trying to give you my opinion, which is that the improvising in DMB boils down to soloing, which is all good and well because they are all pretty good on their respected instruments, however, in my OPINION, bands that jam and improvise and explore together are better, and I personally prefer them. You are free and welcome to your own interests, and to share them as you like - as am I. No offense meant, and none taken... at least on my part.

lexslamman

Oh, and, by the way, even though it was a LivePhish release, 7-15-2003 is pretty good too... Phish is like pizza, even when its 'bad', it is pretty darn good. I could real off every Phish show I have been to and every live recording I have in my collection and give reasons why it is my favorite, be it the jams, what is said between them, the segues, the setlist, or simply the venue and what kind of mood (wink wink) I was in.

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: lexslamman on June 28, 2006, 02:01:40 PM
IT was phantastic.

You appear to be right about the comparison thing but wrong about what I said. I wasn't trying to tell you what your interests are - I was trying to give you my opinion, which is that the improvising in DMB boils down to soloing, which is all good and well because they are all pretty good on their respected instruments, however, in my OPINION, bands that jam and improvise and explore together are better, and I personally prefer them. You are free and welcome to your own interests, and to share them as you like - as am I. No offense meant, and none taken... at least on my part.

No offense taken - your comment, "DMB is good if you have no interest in solid improvisation or creative songwriting " - doesn't read like an opinion though, it reads like a statement of fact - a hot issue around here, of late.   

By the way, Lex - welcome to the 'Paug!!  Don't think we've had introductions - so, HELLO!!

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on June 28, 2006, 02:58:33 PM
Quote from: lexslamman on June 28, 2006, 02:01:40 PM
IT was phantastic.

No offense taken - your comment, "DMB is good if you have no interest in solid improvisation or creative songwriting " - doesn't read like an opinion though, it reads like a statement of fact - a hot issue around here, of late.   

By the way, Lex - welcome to the 'Paug!!  Don't think we've had introductions - so, HELLO!!

One last thing...........as soon as I get back online at home, I will post some examples of DMB's ability to jam as a unit and not a trade-off of soloists...........I wouldn't have made the point about them jamming well if I did not experience something to the contrary of the general notion that Dave's band cannot JAM.........unfortunately, that'll be later in the month:)

peace