News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Trey's Fall Tour

Started by PhishJY, October 08, 2006, 05:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhishJY

Anyone catching any shows???

I'll be @ Memphis 11/2
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

phillyphan

I'll be at the electric factory show in philly on the 11th :banana:

ma215

E. Factory too. Get off house arrest and getta see trey on the same night. Would have liked to see the NYC shows tho.

mattstick

Looks like a good start to the tour....

10/8/06 Webster Hall

by Ben Collette
New York, NY October 8, 2006 08:30 PM

Set One

* Drifting
    * Sleep Again
    * Wherever You Find It
    * Money, Love And Change
    * Tuesday
    * Sweet Dreams Melinda
    * A Case Of Ice And Snow
    * Alive Again
    * Skip The Goodbyes* (Amfibian)
    * Love Is Freedom^
    * Goodbye Head^
    * The Divided Sky^**

Set Two

* Host Across The Potomac
    * Dark And Down
    * Gotta Jibboo
    * Plasma
    * Night Speaks To A Woman
    * Shine
    * Shadow^
    * Bar 17^
    * Come As Melody^

Encore

* Cincinnati^

Key:
*with Tom Marshall on vocals.
^with string quintet conducted by Don Hart.
**Dedicated to Trey's Mom for her 65th Birthday.

Band Lineup:
Tony Hall - bass
Ray Paczkowski - organ, keyboards
Jeff Sipe - drums
Christina Durfee - vocals, synthesizer
Jennifer Hartswick - vocals, trumpet

sophist

I can't wait to hear the composed div'd sky.  I love hearing phish performed a la orchestra(I know its only a quintet, but its close enough  :wink: )
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

I'm curious to hear that Divided Sky, myself.

gimmetela

may be heading to Asheville on the 15th (?)

i have so much music i wanna see over the next month, and i don't think i'm  going to be able to.
del tha funkee homosapien, trey, OCMS, Keller...
i love fall.

antelope19

Quote from: gimmetela on October 09, 2006, 10:21:39 AM

del tha funkee homosapien

Pissin' on ya steps!!!!!!   :-D :lol:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

patton1138

I may or may not be able to make Philly.  I really want to go, but may not have the funds to do so...   :cry:

But I'm glad to see that this tour will be more of the melodic brand of Trey rather than the more trancy groove that GRAB had this summer.

gainesvillegreen

Hmmm...strings.  The plot thickens. What was the make up?  Violin(s), Viola, Cello, and Bass?  

Good for Trey!

gimmetela

Quote from: antelope19 on October 09, 2006, 02:33:44 PM
Quote from: gimmetela on October 09, 2006, 10:21:39 AM

del tha funkee homosapien

Pissin' on ya steps!!!!!!   :-D :lol:

mr. dobalina, mr. bob dobalina!   :banana:

jephrey

Mista bob dobolina!! 

Hell yeah!

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

mattstick

10/9/06 Webster Hall

by Ben Collette
New York, NY October 9, 2006 01:35 AM

Set One:

* 46 Days
    * If You're Walking
    * Spin
    * Heavy Things
    * What's Done
    * Mr. Completely
    * Bar 17^
    * Goodbye Head^

Set Two:

* Push On 'Til The Day
    * Sand
    * The Way I Feel
    * Mud City
    * Let Me Lie
    * First Tube

Encore:

* The Divided Sky^
    * Dragonfly

Key:
^with string quintet conducted by Don Hart

August

the review i read had an acoustic my friend>guyute>my friend to close set 1.

Good show, just not as spectacular and arresting as the opening night. If the first night was a 10, then this was a 7.5. Great time, and not even disappointing. It just needs to be noted that no matter how hard Trey might try, it would have been impossible to supercede his playing from the night prior.

46 Days - Got in late, but this was pretty rocking and good. Trey and Tony doing that new duel that came out the first night. Again, Hall has take his playing with the band to a new area (a good one).

If You're Walking - Decent. Started off spacey and slow, and got lost a bit. This one might have suffered from being the first time played live. Its also not my favorite off the new album.

Spin - The song part was average, which is typically fun. The post-song jam they do was too slow, and also got a bit lost.

Heavy Things - Fun from even just a nostalgia standpoint. I don't think I ever caught the tune by Trey solo, so it was a special treat for me personally. The Ray jam was excellent, and I would keep it, but it was a minor disappointment that Trey did not then take a guitar solo. The Heavy Things outro, bouncy playful guitar sound was always so much fun, and is no longer with this version.

What's Done - Great new tune, and this premiere version was excellent for being a first time played. The "Oooh oooh, sing, to be unto" (am I close on that?) part of the tune is so uplifting. Great guitarwork too.

Mr.C - Good, and I love how now there are "old school" years old Trey songs - this one being perhaps the very first, since it was on One Man's Trash. This version was around average. Unfortunately I do not remember any specifics about where the jam went, which is not a good sign.

Bar 17 (enter the strings) - repeat from night #1 (one of only a few). Again better than the album version, and this time better placement in the setlist. The jam was not as spectacular as night #1, but good nonetheless. Night 1's jam was almost its own song, whereas this always felt like Bar 17.

Goodbye Head - Just love this with the strings. (Love the strings in general. What a treat to see, and too bad its not a permanent part of the band.) I think this was exactly consistent with the night prior. The second repeat song of the night. The first few parts are stellar, but its still a shame the "reba" jam final part is officially defunct.

MFMF>Guyute>MFMF (just Trey acoustic + strings) - Amazing. I love this direction that Trey is taking with true orchestration. It really shows his breadth and genious. Sure, you miss that loud strong glory point of his electric guitar (esp. the one in Guyute), but the general orchestration of this fantastic melding of complex songs is just something to see. And, I don't think I've ever seen Trey's left hand move that quickly before (maybe for lack of noticing though).

setbreak

Push On Till The Day - First off, thank goodness the original version (non-swing chorus part) is BACK FOR GOOD - which started at Wallingford (I think). Hated that swing version with 70VP. Here is a good moment to officially say that this iteration of the band BLOWS AWAY what 70VP had been first couple tours. I think Trey has finally found that perfect titration point of musicians. Jen took a trumpet solo mid song, and my opinion is that Push On is not the song for that. I prefer it to drive with guitar the whole time, and save trumpet solos for Alive Again or STUD or something. So this made the tune a shade less than it could have been. Certain older TAB versions were definitively better.

Sand - It took some maneuvering, but this eventually got to a sick place. After the song part, the band got a bit lost, and thus making this version categorically lesser than the last version I saw in Wallingford (has to be up there with the best). And last night it got weaker, before this...turn around. They got into the hard rock mode, which I tend to think is a crutch when they are lost, and therefore its not my favorite sound. But it worked as a springboard to the latter third of this version which just blew the roof off of Webster. Really excellent. REALLY excellent.

Way I Feel - I hate this song. I know other people love the slow funk, so I won't bore anyone with my dislike of this.

Mud City - OK. Maybe consistent with the GRAB versions, which to me were...OK. Sipes short drum solo was decent.

Let me Lie - Very pretty song, and then Trey got to that ethereal, surreal, gorgeous floating sound that is one reason I continue to seek out his playing. The lyrics are fine with me on this one - not as perfect as other ballad lyrics of his, but pretty nonetheless. Loved this jam.

First Tube - Always welcome, as even an average version (like this one) gets the whole room jumping up and down. I don't think I've seen that from many other bands that I go see. (In fact its the achilles heal of the indie rock scene.) An entire room of jumpers - its cool to see, and one of the great things Trey can command.

E: Divided Sky (Trey acoustic with string section) - acknowledged repeat from the other night. While less special (no Mom this time), the version was better. I still think the acoustic guitar sound level is too low, and gets drowned by the strings. They nailed the post-pause section better, and again brought back this particular staccatto sound (forget which section). The "glory" part at the end just cannot compete with the electric version, but this is still a very cool orchestration to catch. Boy, we had it special there with the string section in NYC for 2 nights. Public apology from me for originally complaining on this board about that.

Dragonfly - I am starting to get over my dislike of the song. The second half of this version was STRONG. Got everyone jumping up and down again (or at least grooving). I can't tell if the song is actually maybe good, or you hear something decent enough times and its familiar, you tend to like it (kinda like Character Zero or Axilla for me). I think for the last song of a two night stand, might have been better to go older large tune (Push On here instead of earlier, and full driving mode), or sick cover (Come on Baby Let's Go Downtown).

Overall, a very good two night stand. And an exceptional opening night. I think Trey knew the two-night dynamic, realizing that overall his band did a superb job. It would be really hard to hate on this band right now. Maybe I'll stay off the green board for a little while and maintain my bliss. One thing is for sure, if Trey wanted to start exploring new musical directions, he's done it. Ironically, I loved the funny comment about how when he "grows up" he'd do pure orchestration, but that he hasn't grown up yet. I love that he knows that about himself.

If Trey, Brad, or whomever in the organization reads these things, bravo and congrats. Trey, you did really well. Welcome back.
a

McGrupp

how's jeff sipe doing on the drums? i love his work on some of the more underground stuff. good player and good choice by trey.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?