News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: slslbs on September 20, 2009, 09:44:32 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 14, 2009, 01:06:40 AM
Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer, and Zakhir at Bass Concert Hall tonight. Best music I've seen in a long time. Amazing, really.

sounds like a great show.

last night - Danilo Perez (Panamanian jazz piano player), Rudresh Mahanthappa (alto sax, sort of Coltrane goes to India) sat in for 3 or 4 tunes. great show
I have Mahanthappa's "Kinsmen" album. Good stuff.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

blatboom

Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer, and Zakhir at Bass Concert Hall tonight. Best music I've seen in a long time. Amazing, really.

they're coming to Richmond in October.  I take it I should try to check it out?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: blatboom on September 21, 2009, 09:08:57 AM

they're coming to Richmond in October.  I take it I should try to check it out?

you won't be disappointed. The show I saw was only their second show together... ever... they are only going to get tighter and better.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

fauxpaxfauxreal

MMW at the Neighborhood Theatre in Charlotte on Saturday.

First set was mehhhhh...second set was bad ass.

I danced so hard that I flipped off the entire crowd, and told them all in sweet dance moves to either come up to me right then and punch me in the face or shut the eff up, and then did a ten second countdown, and then proceed to say, that's what I thought dogs, and then the entire crowds face melted from the combination of my sweet dance moves and the awesome tunage coming from the stage.

Good stuff (but not as awesome as the '05 tour)

postjack

Butthole Surfers was outrageous.  These guys are teetering on the brink of acid causalities, but they seem to be walking that line just fine.  The biggest surprise to me was the professionalism and musicianship.  As chaotic as their music is, none of the playing was sloppy or haphazard.

The House of Blues in New Orleans is the most miserable venue I've ever been to, but it is also the venue I've seen most shows at.  Having said that, when a show is not heavily attended, its not that bad.  I was surprised at how many people were there, considering the Butthole Surfers haven't cut a record in a shade under a decade, but still, the crowd wasn't super thick. 

I hope nobody showed up to hear them play "Pepper", because as far as I could tell the setlist was pure vintage Butthole, but to be fair I have only a passing familiarity with their body of work.  They had two projectors pushing all kinds of bizarre shit on the screen behind them, including live shots of themselves and the crowd.  The music was straight up acid punk noise, chaotic and hilarious.  About 30 seconds into the opener somebody threw a goddamn box of blue glowsticks from the balcony.  A glowstick war at a Butthole Surfers concert ensued.  I started laughing my ass off at that point, really set the stage for the rest of the show.  At one point Gibby Haynes (lead vocalist) bummed a cigarette off somebody in the front row.  During the encore break he gave the fan who bummed him a cigarette a Heineken out of their ice chest.  I thought that was a classy move. 

Later a friend asked me how the show was, and I said it was like Jolly Ranchers all night.  Sweet, delicious, cherry Jolly Ranchers.  Awesome.

We were standing behind the soundboard and I copied the setlist from a sheet of paper laying on it:

22 Going on 23
Cowboy Bob
100 Million
Graveyard
Some Disute
Suicide
Florida
Gary Floyd
2 part/tornado
hey
dust devil
x-ray
Edgar
Negro
BBQ Pope
Goofy's Concern
Blind Man
Something
Who Was In My Room

E:

Cherub
Fast Song
Concubine

Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

Tweezy

Built to Spill saturday night at the Vic in chicago.

good show, i hate the curfew at the Vic though... They RIPPED up the encore tho... 30 minute encore! Lots of new stuff, some older goodies in the encore.

overall good time
If I haven't seen it, it's new to me!

WhatstheUse?

Nice Postjack!

I didn't even know those guys were still touring....

Must have been hilariously awesome
Bring in the dude!

gah

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on September 28, 2009, 12:39:52 PM
Nice Postjack!

I didn't even know those guys were still touring....

Must have been hilariously awesome

Seriously, sounds like a great time PJ!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: postjack on September 27, 2009, 06:16:33 PM
Butthole Surfers was outrageous.  These guys are teetering on the brink of acid causalities, but they seem to be walking that line just fine.  The biggest surprise to me was the professionalism and musicianship.  As chaotic as their music is, none of the playing was sloppy or haphazard.

The House of Blues in New Orleans is the most miserable venue I've ever been to, but it is also the venue I've seen most shows at.  Having said that, when a show is not heavily attended, its not that bad.  I was surprised at how many people were there, considering the Butthole Surfers haven't cut a record in a shade under a decade, but still, the crowd wasn't super thick. 

I hope nobody showed up to hear them play "Pepper", because as far as I could tell the setlist was pure vintage Butthole, but to be fair I have only a passing familiarity with their body of work.  They had two projectors pushing all kinds of bizarre shit on the screen behind them, including live shots of themselves and the crowd.  The music was straight up acid punk noise, chaotic and hilarious.  About 30 seconds into the opener somebody threw a goddamn box of blue glowsticks from the balcony.  A glowstick war at a Butthole Surfers concert ensued.  I started laughing my ass off at that point, really set the stage for the rest of the show.  At one point Gibby Haynes (lead vocalist) bummed a cigarette off somebody in the front row.  During the encore break he gave the fan who bummed him a cigarette a Heineken out of their ice chest.  I thought that was a classy move. 

Later a friend asked me how the show was, and I said it was like Jolly Ranchers all night.  Sweet, delicious, cherry Jolly Ranchers.  Awesome.

We were standing behind the soundboard and I copied the setlist from a sheet of paper laying on it:

22 Going on 23
Cowboy Bob
100 Million
Graveyard
Some Disute
Suicide
Florida
Gary Floyd
2 part/tornado
hey
dust devil
x-ray
Edgar
Negro
BBQ Pope
Goofy's Concern
Blind Man
Something
Who Was In My Room

E:

Cherub
Fast Song
Concubine

they're playing here in the next week or so...
this makes me want to go :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

postjack

if you are free that night I would definitely go.  FYI I was able to use a Subway promo code to get tickets for $11ish a piece after fees.  hell I'd go again this weekend if I could.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

fauxpaxfauxreal

The Disco Biscuits last night at the brand new pseudo-Fillmore here in CLT, NC.

The poonanny was tight, the grooves were bouncy and the jams were quite danceable.

gah

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on September 28, 2009, 05:09:26 PM
The Disco Biscuits last night at the brand new pseudo-Fillmore here in CLT, NC.

The poonanny was tight, the grooves were bouncy and the jams were quite danceable.

Awesome!  :clap:

gah

Just got back from Grizzly Bear and Beach House opened up. Great show. It was awesome to see a band pull out some tricks to wow the crowd. (ohhh, i can see where that sentence might end up). No but seriously, they had 6 tree's (used for can lights) set up around the stage with power cords coming off them with mason jars and lights in the middle. And the lights guy, asides from the stage lights, used those to create effects as well, which would be easy with a 24 digital light mixer, but it was cool for someone to have thought of that and use it, that is all. Pretty good show all around. Thanks hicks for the push to go.

Hicks

Quote from: goodabouthood on October 07, 2009, 12:26:29 AM
Just got back from Grizzly Bear and Beach House opened up. Great show. It was awesome to see a band pull out some tricks to wow the crowd. (ohhh, i can see where that sentence might end up). No but seriously, they had 6 tree's (used for can lights) set up around the stage with power cords coming off them with mason jars and lights in the middle. And the lights guy, asides from the stage lights, used those to create effects as well, which would be easy with a 24 digital light mixer, but it was cool for someone to have thought of that and use it, that is all. Pretty good show all around. Thanks hicks for the push to go.

Nice!  Yeah their singing really impressed me when I saw them. 

That Beach House youtube you posted was pretty cool, were they good too?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.