News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Sea Pedestrian

Quote from: mattstick on July 04, 2007, 01:03:14 PM
Awsome - I'll drop some of that knowledge on him next time we're chillin'

There's no accounting for taste - I'm sure he thinks me listening to The Grateful Dead constantly is weird too.

I think any Dead show could beat that soundtrack to Katamri Damacy in a wrestling match anyday.

Seriously tho, get him listening to Zappa, some of his music sound like it came straight out of a cartoon soundtrack written by a mental patient, and since that description fits most anime music I figure getting into Zappa wont be too hard for your brother.

mattstick

ummm, I think he's a long way from Zappa but I'll trey and sneak Lather or Hot Rats into his iTunes.

Red Sea Pedestrian

I'd go with Hot Rats and " ' " , Lather is some heavy shit for someone who isn't into Zappa already, imo.

mattstick

Lather was the first Zappa recording I got - a bootleg cassette, long before the CD was released.

Red Sea Pedestrian

If you could get into Zappa through Lather, then that's awesome. But compare the Greggary Peckary "song" and the Black Page and Approximate, to say, Peaches and Yellow Snow, and I think that Hot Rats and Apostrophe are generally more accesible to people who don't come from a Jazz, Fusion, or Progressive background.

CRAZYED

The Black Crowes - Summerfest - Milwaukee WI (7-4-2007)

redrum

Quote from: phan003 on June 20, 2007, 09:44:08 AM
Last night I attended Wilco at the Chastain Ampitheater in Atlanta, GA.  I have never seen so much rain in my life, but yet this was probably the best concert I've ever attended in my life.  I returned home and just sat in bed in awe of what I had witnessed.  The rain added a dimension to this show that is too difficult to describe in words, so I'll refrain from any further attempt to do such a thing. 

I entered the venue at 8:00 pm and found the opening band LOW performing and I wasn't really impressed by them.  Their sound is best described as "mellow dramatic" alternative rock.  I decided that buying a tour shirt and getting a poncho was more important that listening to LOW.  I made my way back down to my seat, which was in the 19th row of the pit.  I waited impatiently as LOW continued to perform, finally they ended their set.  It had been raining on and off during their set, but it began to pour shortly before Wilco took the stage. 

Finally the moment arrived, Tweedy lead the troops onto the stage, and they began the set with Either Way, which was very fitting since the first verse contains a line stating, "maybe the sun will come out today."  This was a solid version and a very good pick as a opener.  The "funky" section had the crowd rocking really hard and the smell of beasters became apparent as soon as Cline took his first solo over the funky section.  Next up was You Are My Face, and I have to say that I love this song and its one of better songs on the Sky Blue Sky album, and this version was very tight. 

Now the show really got rolling with Impossible Germany as third song of the set, and I think this is the best new song they have, so I was very pleased to hear it.  As IG progressed the rain continued to pour harder and harder, but that didn't stop me from gettin' my wook on  :wink: .   Sky Blue Sky followed, then I Am Trying To Break Your Heart.  This was an excellent version and I liked how they extended the intro by a few measures, and the outro had a very psychedelic feel to it (more than the album version). 

The show continued to pick up steam as they played Shot in the Arm, Handshake Drugs, Kamera, Side with the Seeds, Shake it off, Walken, and hate it here.  Then they played Jesus, etc. and it was breathtaking for me.  The lyrics to this song are genius to me, and I was grinning really hard and dancing really hard too.  I couldn't of been more happier that I got to hear this song.  Then it got even better, War on War followed and kept me dancing like a fool. 

I'm the man who loves you was next and it was the best version I've heard from Wilco.  The set closed with Humming bird, which was also a beautiful version.  Tweedy announced that the band was taking a bathroom break and would return in a moment.  When they returned, they busted out Via Chicago and it was one of the most powerful songs I've ever seen live.  This was my first time seeing this song live, so the whole experience is on another level and it made the show for me.  VC ended in an array of feedback and subtle psychedelia that set up Spiders (Kidsmoke) perfectly.  This version absolutely rocked my face off.  Tweedy played on the sickest solos I've ever heard from him, and they extended it to around 15-16 minutes.  At one point Tweedy had the whole crowd clapping, and the band stopped playing for a few measures, then BOOM! Right back into the "power chord" section of the song. 

The band left the stage and returned for a two song encore which consisted of Heavy Metal Drummer and Outta Sight.   

For those that hate reading:

setlist:
Either Way
You are my Face
Impossible Germany
Sky Blue Sky
I am trying to break your heart
Shot in the arm
Handshake drugs
Kamera
Side with the seeds
Shake it off
Walken
Hate it here
Jesus, etc
War on War
I'm the man who loves you
Humming bird

band takes a piss break>
Via chicago>
Spiders (kidsmoke)

Encore:
Heavy Metal Drummer
Outta Sight

glad you liked the show.  :-)

i thought they were almost as good as  :phish: on their worst night.

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

CRAZYED

Oteil & the Peacemakers - University of Wisconsin Memorial Union Terrace 7-5-2007

sophist

Quote from: CRAZYED on July 06, 2007, 11:13:14 AM
Oteil & the Peacemakers - University of Wisconsin Memorial Union Terrace 7-5-2007

nice one.  I like Oteil and his Christian happy jam rock.  He always puts on a good show. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

CRAZYED

Yeah it was a fun time out on the deck by the lake. Beautiful night, free show, great beers flowing.  Couldn't have really asked for much more.  They had some nice grooves going and it seemed like a good time was had by all.

sophist

Sounds like a good time.  Last time I saw Oteil, Herring sat in for both sets and it was a smoker. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

cactusfan

i saw the re-united Squirrel Nut Zippers last night.
good show, lots of energy, small, sold-out room.
those guys (and one golden throated lady) are lots of fun live.
i saw them a couple of times in the '90s, too.

:banana:

alcoholandcoffeebeans

so took my brother to the tool show, last night.
told him to push his way forward with his boys and to meet me at the fountain, out front, afterwards.

i find him, totally gone standing on the fountain and he hugs me...
then proceeds to tell me how he wishes that the dead and phish were around because
if he enjoyed that show and the crowd energy, he can't imagine what jerry and trey coulda done for him.  :-) he continues to amaze me, everyday.

all in all good show. more filler than killer, but hearing stinkfist, 46&2, and third eye made me feel ok about it.
the lights were a helluva lot this year. pretty fun time. hour and a half long tho, i could used a little more...
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

redrum

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on July 08, 2007, 11:40:29 AM
i find him, totally gone standing on the fountain and he hugs me...
then proceeds to tell me how he wishes that the dead and phish were around because
if he enjoyed that show and the crowd energy, he can't imagine what jerry and trey coulda done for him.  :-) he continues to amaze me, everyday.

thats awesome to hear.

i couldn't help thinking the same thing for all the young kids i saw having fun at moe the other night that looked WAY TO YOUNG to even have a clue of what went down in the years right before they became the "young jammsters" they are becoming now. i kinda felt bad for them.

it also made me realize how lucky i was to catch what i did from 94 > 2004. and how very REAL it all was.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Blaise

Just got back from re:generation this weekend in Deerfields, NC. Beautiful campgrounds but musically sort of a letdown...