News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Progress [AKA: The Current Wiki Discussion]

Started by jephrey, November 27, 2006, 03:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

I have a personal desire to make progress.  I can finish 1998 by myself if I do 3 per day for a while.  I hope we can buckle down this last month so this thing will have some good content when we open it up on 1/1/07.  I just did the Copenhagen shows that opened up summer 98.

Please help me get some of these bitches in!

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tet

i'll give a hand over the coming weeks, should have some time (i hope!)

it helps having a FAST laptop i can use while not at my desk, and this new MBP is surely that!!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

guyforget

How much do you aim to have completed by 1/1?
-AD_

tet

not a lot, but enough to give people an idea of what to do.  adding info on the band members pages would be a good start - the song pages and setlists are more monotonous though...  the stuff that requires actual writing is gonna be the toughest!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jephrey

Since the start, I've been trying to look at it from the user's point of view.  If a lot of the monotonous stuff is already in, then the user is more likely to make nice text additions and such.  The casual user most likely won't want to learn all that goes into the BIG monotonous pages

We may differ on this tet (If I'm taking what you're saying how you mean it), but I think that even if the writing is going to be hard, that's what other users are more likely to contribute to opposed to the monotonous stuff that follows very strict guidelines.  In any case, if you look at the wiki now, over the last year, we have made a couple big pushes.  We did 2000 in a few weeks, then worked on a template for the layout of the year, tour, venue, song, and setlist pages (and slowly filled them with placeholder data which is just a copy of the 2000 page as far as the years go).  Marmar got going on the SBDs and DNC pages and tet did Band member pages along with the meatstick dance.  I entered a bunch of song pages and a couple others got started (they're tedious) and I also did a few venue pages just to get the style down.  I think it was PhishJY that did a bunch of 1990 or 1991 and I think disco did the Videos page. So it was the original push and then the Marmar and PhishJY additions that really got some content in and rallied the troops.

BTW, tet, please kill the "Run Like An Antelope" page, but keep the "Run Like an Antelope" page.  The "An" shouldn't be capitalized.

I keep saying I'll get to this, but I'm making it a priority now.  This is much more important than my work. 

Hey, can you offer karma for contributions somehow?  I don't know.  I wrote the PM and a couple threads here and so far this is the only reply.  Maybe remove all members and let everyone ask to be back in or something?  I'm in no way disappointed with anyone or anything like that and don't want to make anyone feel shitty for signing up and not contributing (because we've all taken much time off), but we need a way to rally the troops again.  So, the karma idea is at least positive reinforcement. 

In any case, maybe a final push with a last recruiting effort on the board.  There are a couple new guys out there that seem cool and we might be able to get some push.  I also spoke with a non-week4pauger that was interested so we'll see if I hear back on that front.

Anyway,

j
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

PhishJY

Quote from: jephrey on November 27, 2006, 11:28:00 PM
...I think it was PhishJY that did a bunch of 1990 or 1991 ...

It was, and I've been slacking.  I'll get back to work. :-D
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

jephrey

I've done 1998 Island and Europe tours as of right now (the 1998 page as well as the setlist details pages).  I think I can finish 1998 by opening day, and hopefully a lot sooner.  I also plan to do some more song pages when I get the chance at home.  If I finish 1998, I think a good idea would be to add a few shows from each tour of each year, and that's what I'll do.

Hopefully, with my new recruiting thread in the general discussion forum, we can get some new guys willing to go gang-busters for a month.

J

Marmar

I'm so sorry I've been lax about getting things done......my plate is so full of transfers and mastering that 90% of my time is being taken by those beasts.....

As soon as I get a few ahead of myself, I'll start plugging away again......I promise......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

guyforget

http://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,4713.msg62395.html#msg62395

Obvious since I suggested it I think that may be a good addition. 

Dan - I just signed up an account, I thought I had one but maybe we've changed softwares since then and I havent been paying attention.  Anyway; make me a sysop so I can poke around?  I read up on the software on their docs page but would like to see a what it looks like.  Also, check IRC for a question I had about wikipaug DNS.

Jeff - say I get bored tonight, whats needed?  I like the idea of a "sources explained" page but Im certainly no authority on any of that stuff.  Probably need help from one of our taping and technical guys like rowjimmy, marmar, and mattstick on that one.  I know marmar is busy and I dont know if RJ is still contributing, and I dont know if mattstick was ever a part of the project...  so, thats on the backburner for now. 

But whats the worst thing to do?  Enter setlists?  Where to start, or does it matter?  Ill probably get bored tonight and Im pretty much out of other projects for at least a day or two until I get too bored and dream something new up.

-AD_

mattstick

First of all congrats to everyone who's worked on this, that announcement was nice to see!

I'm knee deep in writing reports for a couple weeks but I love procrastinating, so if you have technical q's, or need definitions just ask!

guyforget

Questions -

Whats planned for the About page?

Once its open to the public, what are the plans for keeping contributions organized?  Say I want to contribute an account of my experience of this show: http://wiki.week4paug.net/index.php/July_9%2C_1998 (just for example, I wasnt there), where would it go?  On that page?  New page?  Separate page for every contributed story about that show, or one page for all contributions, or...?

-AD_

jephrey

for discussions or user accounts of a show or for discussion about any page, there's a discussion tab at the top of each page!

I suppose every user account of the show would just go below/above the previous (and maybe even put a date submitted)  It'd be nice to come up with a format, maybe even predefine a pictures section, a lot section, a writeup section etc.  That might be something cool to define.

To keep things organized, well since most entries are already defined as to a look and feel, we should note that on the first page.  I wrote up a how-to on entering setlists, but that's it for now.  Maybe more of a user guide would help.  I imagine most of those kinds of contributions would be done by experienced users and the easier stuff would be done by the "public". 

I think the most tedious at this time is entering song pages.  I've done songs with like 30 times played in a half-hour, but for YEM (400+), that's gonna take some time.  And that's not the only song like that.

I think it's good to scatter in data so at the end it's more filling in holes than having a whole section to do, but if we each work individually, we can each take a certain task (I'm trying to do 98 setlists and random songs).  More venue pages would be nice.  Finally, other page types not yet defined might be nice.  The Phish page could use a better timeline...  I think the SBDs page is lacking but I could be wrong.

And Marmar, xfers are more important so no worries.

Anyhow, good to see that we've got some renewed interest with this.  I think it's gonna be sweet with a bunch of us working on different things.
J

guyforget

Holy crap theres a ton of formatting for this thing. 

Also, re: the Run Like an Antelope - Ive been trying to correct every instance of "An" that I find, but theres no real way to just delete the page, since pages are dynamically created from the links.  We just have to edit them all to "an" or there may even be a way to redirect all "An"s to go to "an."

Also, just looking at the specific Run Like an Antelope page - there are a ton of errors I think.  How many times was Run Like an Antelope pre or proceeded by itself?  Is that even possible?  But, theyre listed like that. 

Or maybe I just dont understand whats going on. 

Im also worried about having 2 people editing the same page.  Wonder how the wiki reacts to that...?
-AD_

Marmar

ummm.....

dunno if anyone has thought about it......or if its something anyone would want to do......

but.....

how about a page or a few dedicated to the tapers? Maybe we can contact em and have em write up something...????

I mean......in all honesty, if it hadn't been for them, we still might not even have known who Phish is........also.......

If anyone is down with it......I can maybe see if Kevin would want to do like a "Phan Q&A" or an interview of some sort that we can put up.....???? Like maybe get a list of 15-20 questions from fans (we could start a thread here and just cull the best/most interesting questions to have him answer.......)
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

guyforget

My personal opinion is that its a wiki - anything related should be contributed.  As long as its organized and orderly, theres room enough for whatever content anyone feels is relevant.  Thats the point. 

Tapers, Gear & Sources Explained, etc, etc; theres room for all!

I think that right now the focus is on the static stuff though, the not so fun suff to enter.  The dynamic content will come...  hopefully dynamically, as more and more people find the site and want to contribute.  Personally Id love to see it get huge, with personal accounts, photographs, ticket stubs, etc, etc. 
-AD_