News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

70 Volt Parade

Started by susep, December 08, 2006, 09:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

Specifically the April/May '05 tour. 
How do you rate this compared to Trey's other projects?  Personally I thought the tour was good w/ many musical highlights.  Not surprising there was emphasis on change(In the Light, In Limbo) reflecting Trey's exodus from Phish. 
Impressions?   

mattstick

It's probably the worst of the Trey solo project tours.  At times that band was pretty dull and struggled to keep up with Trey and keep things interesting.

However, I have really fond memories of some moments from that tour, Trey singing "In The Light", kickin' it with guyforget during the "Sledgehammer" bust out, That "Sand" in South Carolina, Trey solo acoustic doing "Love That Breaks All Lines" at the Ryman, waiting in the rain for Trey to come out at the Beale Street Music Festival, "I Am The Walrus" at NOLA Jazzfest, "Cincinnati > Low" from the Superjam, and more I'm sure to think of later...

People will still complain about that tour to this day, but I think those people were'nt looking for the right things so they never found 'em... It's easy to sit back and criticize something new, and I think it took a lot of guts for Trey to do that tour, and it resulted in some flat moments and some inspired moments.

I was'nt there, but I absolutely love the Beatles/Abbey Road medely from Hammerstien and "Cincinnati" in Cincinnati too...

susep

Trey has a big audience and a wide critique demographic.

skullbone dog

Personnally, I think it's the worst of side projects. however 5-8-05 was a good show(space oddity, walrus, the acid i took), and 5-10-05 wasn't so bad, first oz is ever floating in awhile(at the time). but bonnaroo 05 disappointed me. bringing out bo bice to do panama? but late summer was fantastic, bringing back jen, more rocking jams compared to the spaced out ones from early 05. and now i'm totally stoked that the horns and cyro are back.

rowjimmy

meh.

Quote from: mattstick on December 09, 2006, 03:39:22 AM
People will still complain about that tour to this day, but I think those people weren't looking for the right things so they never found 'em...

The tour was an example of a band that gets better with practice/experience. The show I saw sucked but, it was at the beginning of the tour (see previous sentence.) I was looking for a solid performance from a new band... I got the new band part. I also found Trey's performance and song selection rather interesting throughout the tour and some elements reminded me very much (though not 100% of the time) of Spiritualized whom I'd been listening to a lot at that time.

nab

The 05-14-05 show from the Hammerstein Ballroom ranks as one of my favorite Trey solo performances.

susep

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 30, 2007, 12:41:16 PM
The tour was an example of a band that gets better with practice/experience. The show I saw sucked but, it was at the beginning of the tour (see previous sentence.) I was looking for a solid performance from a new band... I got the new band part. I also found Trey's performance and song selection rather interesting throughout the tour and some elements reminded me very much (though not 100% of the time) of Spiritualized whom I'd been listening to a lot at that time.

Well said,  :mrgreen:

Quote from: nab on January 30, 2007, 03:44:09 PM
The 05-14-05 show from the Hammerstein Ballroom ranks as one of my favorite Trey solo performances.

13May05 wasn't too shabby either.

nab

rowjimmy

I'd put 5-11-99 against either of those... and win.
:mrgreen:

susep

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 31, 2007, 07:03:00 PM
I'd put 5-11-99 against either of those... and win.
:mrgreen:

:wink:

rowjimmy