News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

On The Road Original Scroll  Offers a cool new look into a book that changed my (and countless others) life.  I am bumming that I missed the chance to see the scroll on display when I was in NYC over Christmas.  I went out too late with Aug, and didn't wake up in time to make it to the library  :frustrated:.  Sucks, because it is not going to be on tour anymore and is going back to it's owner, the guy that owns the KC Chiefs.  Sucks, because it has been making the rounds for a couple of years and I never checked it out....oh well, at least I have the book now.  Required reading.

thechad

I heard it was really hard to read.  Basically the same story just in a more drug addled stream of conscienceness sort of way.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

Caravan2001

Well, I wouldn't attempt to really compare the two versions, nor would I say that this in some way replaces the other. But having read the 'edited' version so many times and being somewhat of a Kerouac nerd in general, I just found it to lend some real insight or shed some more light into the whole 'experience' or mystique of it.  Sure, it is a a lot more raw, but that's the point.

Caravan2001

Quote from: thechad on January 22, 2008, 02:02:38 AM
Basically the same story just in a more drug addled stream of conscienceness sort of way.

You say that like it's a bad thing  :lol:

alcoholandcoffeebeans

for all you Chuck P. fans...

QuoteIn what they're already calling the best sale of the festival, Fox Searchlight as of 5am this morning, has bought Clark Gregg's adaptation of Choke for a reported $5 million! The film had its world premiere last night at the Racquet Club Theatre, and Chuck Palahniuk was in attendance as the film got a roaring applause.

FirstShowing.net:

" I caught the world premiere of Choke last night and certainly will confirm that it is one hell of a great film. It's no Fight Club, but it is a Chuck Palahniuk movie in its own right delivering a solid story with great comedy and a perfect performance by Sam Rockwell. It's not my own favorite movie of the fest, but I couldn't be happier seeing this get picked up by the best indie distributor out there. Fox Searchlight has put out some of the biggest indie hits - Napoleon Dynamite, Little Miss Sunshine, Juno - and now it's time for Choke!"

Folks, this could be the best news we've reported on the site in years. I could not have thought of a better way this could have turned out. I just sent Chuck a text, congratulating him. I can't wait to hear what he says about all of this. It must've been one hell of a night.

Cheers for Choke, Chuck, and a wonderful job by Clark Gregg and his cast and crew!

Dennis
Webmaster
A Writer's Cult, LLC
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

kellerb

Quote from: caravan2001 on January 21, 2008, 10:57:10 PM
it is not going to be on tour anymore and is going back to it's owner, the guy that owns the KC Chiefs. 

Actually, its Jim Irsay, who owns the colts.  He's also got one of Jerry's guitars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Irsay

Caravan2001

Quote from: kellerb on January 22, 2008, 06:18:55 PM
it is not going to be on tour anymore and is going back to it's owner, the guy that owns the KC Chiefs. 

Actually, its Jim Irsay, who owns the colts.  He's also got one of Jerry's guitars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Irsay

my bad....

Mr Minor

Just finished "Captain Trips: A Biography of Jerry Garcia" which was very interesting, albeit extremely poorly written.  My middle school students could write almost as well.

I have also started "I Am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe.  So far it's really interesting, especially the realistic look at college life and college situations, emotions, internal conflicts, etc.

Over the past few months I have reread a few classics- "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and "Catcher in the Rye".

Also Vonnegut's "Player Piano"- an interesting look at a world in which machinery takes the place of the common man and the people whose lives are changed by it.  Anything by Vonnegut is worth checking out.  I recommend Hocus Pocus, Breakfast of Champions, and of course Slaughterhouse Five and Cats Cradle.
To answer the question of where I find the time to read so much...I teach middle school and we do "silent reading" at the beginning of each of my 5 classes, so I tend to get a lot of reading done. 

I am definitely going to check out a few titles some of you have read.

Thanks for the thread!!

kellerb

I just cracked into "Sometimes a great notion" by kesey--I got it for christmas.  started off a bit slow, b/c it introduces a shit-ton of characters and a whole family's back-story right off the bat, but its getting pretty good.

Caravan2001

Quote from: kellerb on January 22, 2008, 10:29:16 PM
I just cracked into "Sometimes a great notion" by kesey--I got it for christmas.  started off a bit slow, b/c it introduces a shit-ton of characters and a whole family's back-story right off the bat, but its getting pretty good.

It's a pretty good book, and one of the few books where the movie is actually as good if not better than the book.  It's a great movie, worth checking out. So is the book....

rowjimmy

Quote from: kellerb on January 22, 2008, 10:29:16 PM

great book.
enjoy

White_Bandana

Killer news about Choke the lady and I love Chuck P!

This year I've been cranking out the books, I 've just finished The Rum Diary (liked it), Jonathon Livingston Seagull by  Robert (?) Balch, and then this book titled "stormy weather" by carl hiaasen extremely fun read. Getting in Vonnegaut's  "thank you mr. rosewater had anybody read this one yet?

Wolfmansbrother

Fear and Loathing: On The Campaign Trail '72
by H.S.T.

nab

On The Road Original Scroll  Offers a cool new look into a book that changed my (and countless others) life.  I am bumming that I missed the chance to see the scroll on display when I was in NYC over Christmas.  I went out too late with Aug, and didn't wake up in time to make it to the library  :frustrated:.  Sucks, because it is not going to be on tour anymore and is going back to it's owner, the guy that owns the KC Chiefs.  Sucks, because it has been making the rounds for a couple of years and I never checked it out....oh well, at least I have the book now.  Required reading.

Is it worth reading the original scroll?  Not trying to be sarcastic, but I've read that book a number of times and I was trying to decide whether or not to buy this edition of the book.

whyweigh5.0

Quote from: Wolfmansbrother on January 22, 2008, 11:23:47 PM
Fear and Loathing: On The Campaign Trail '72
by H.S.T.

nice
Im reading The Great Shark Hunt right now
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/