News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Mr Minor on March 03, 2008, 06:23:17 PM
Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

I would paste a pic, but I am ignorant and can't figure out how...
I think you're the 5th person I know who's reading that now. Great book. As luck would have it, the 1st time I went to the UK was right after I finished it - it was kinda cool looking at the cathedrals with that stuff fresh in my head.

Quote from: Bobafett on March 03, 2008, 09:51:26 AM
i've been reading Groucho Marx's autobiography.  really interesting and well written.  dude was a genius and a money maker.  in 1936, he made over 1.5 million.  yowza.

If your into the Marx Bros, another good one is Harpo Speaks.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

I just read My Revolutions, by Hari Kunzru
A pretty cool novel about a guy who, in the late 1990s after 20 years of living under an assumed identity is forced to confront his past as a political radical in late 60s/early 70s england.

It's pretty fascinating and well written.
And excellent, detailed review can be found here: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/my-revolutions-by-hari-kunzru-463612.html

Now I'm back on my Palahniuk kick and reading Diary.

birdman

Nice!
I just finished Haunted the other day, now I'm also reading Diary. Somehow Palahniuk has stayed off of my reading list but I'm loving his books. Thanks for turning me on to him.
Paug FTMFW!

fauxpaxfauxreal

I'm still huffing through "Confessions of a Bigamist".

I don't know why I'm still drawn to this book. 

tet

Bob Dylan:  Chronicles, Volume 1

brilliant so far...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

Mr Minor

I am also reading "Into the Wild" (mainly because my wife is supposed to teach it in a non-fiction class).  Pretty good.  Very interesting.  Kinda makes me want to hit the road again...

rowjimmy

Quote from: tet on March 06, 2008, 09:07:54 PM
Bob Dylan:  Chronicles, Volume 1

brilliant so far...
Quote from: Mr Minor on March 06, 2008, 09:41:38 PM
I am also reading "Into the Wild" (mainly because my wife is supposed to teach it in a non-fiction class).  Pretty good.  Very interesting.  Kinda makes me want to hit the road again...

Both good reads.

if you enjoy Into The Wild consider reading Into Thin Air by the same author. It's a seriously hair-raising story about the author's trip to Everest.

Mr Minor

Quote from: Mr Minor on March 06, 2008, 09:41:38 PM

Both good reads.

[/quote]
if you enjoy Into The Wild consider reading Into Thin Air by the same author. It's a seriously hair-raising story about the author's trip to Everest.
[/quote]

It's on my list.  Looks pretty interesting.  My wife finished it and said it was great.

edit: I screwed up the quote, :) musta hit a backspace at the wrong time

sls.stormyrider

yep. great read
if you ever had the slightest inkling of climbing Everest, that book will put your head back on straight
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

cactusfan

Quote from: slslbs on March 07, 2008, 10:09:04 AM
yep. great read
if you ever had the slightest inkling of climbing Everest, that book will put your head back on straight

for me it did two things: made me totally understand why one would want to climb everest-- and even in a sense made me say, yeah, i want to climb that fucker!-- while at the same time making me say, no fucking WAY i would ever attempt to climb that fucker. a serious page-turner.

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

gone2gamehenge

I am reading the Eric Clapton autobiography, and I highly recommend it. Has some great stories about his life with all the different bands and people he played with and some insane drug use. I knew he got down pretty hard there for awhile, but man did he put away some blow and heroin. Great story about his first time on LSD with the Beatles (up for 3 days seeing things broke down to energy and mathematical equations and such)

rowjimmy

The kid from Into The Wild went to my high school...

birdman

Alexander Supertramp. A hero of mine...and a fool. Would love to have hit the road like he did only with a better outcome.
Paug FTMFW!

nab

Contributions to the Study of the Dorset Paleo-Eskimos

Edited By Patricia B. Southerland

The Dorset are a really interesting people native to the Eastern Canadian Arctic and Sub-Arctic from about 2000 BP.  I'll elaborate if anyone cares. :-D