News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cimsm

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 07, 2008, 04:52:26 PM
The kid from Into The Wild went to my high school...

Yeah, Chris McCandless (sp)
He graduated from Emory Univ... a few of my buddies went to school with him.  And a few made the trek to check out the "bus" after the book was written.
Although he was a bit misdirected, I still envy him.  Big time...

cimsm

Quote from: shoreline99 on March 05, 2008, 10:03:18 PM
Quote from: Mr Minor on March 03, 2008, 06:23:17 PM
Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

I would paste a pic, but I am ignorant and can't figure out how...

one of my favorite books of all time.

working my way through fast food nation now. read that and you won't eat at a fast food place again anytime soon.

Okay, so Pillars of the Earth is sitting on my dresser.  I guess I'm a bit intimidated by the 1000+ pages.  I totally have ADD, so it's tough for me to finish a book like that.  Should I start?
Fast Food Nation:  Just saw the movie last week.  Awesome.  Not awesome for the cattle though.   :|
If you're on the veg fence, this will convince you.

Mr Minor

Quote from: gone2gamehenge on March 07, 2008, 04:31:58 PM
I am reading the Eric Clapton autobiography, and I highly recommend it. Has some great stories about his life with all the different bands and people he played with and some insane drug use. I knew he got down pretty hard there for awhile, but man did he put away some blow and heroin. Great story about his first time on LSD with the Beatles (up for 3 days seeing things broke down to energy and mathematical equations and such)

It's on my shelf right now and it's close to being next on my reading list...looking forward to it. I have heard great things about it.

Hicks

Quote from: cimsm on March 07, 2008, 09:30:56 PM
Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

working my way through fast food nation now. read that and you won't eat at a fast food place again anytime soon.

Okay, so Pillars of the Earth is sitting on my dresser.  I guess I'm a bit intimidated by the 1000+ pages.  I totally have ADD, so it's tough for me to finish a book like that.

Great book, def. a page turner shouldn't take too long to get through it. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Mr Minor

Quote from: Hicks on March 07, 2008, 10:12:50 PM
Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

Okay, so Pillars of the Earth is sitting on my dresser.  I guess I'm a bit intimidated by the 1000+ pages.  I totally have ADD, so it's tough for me to finish a book like that.

Agreed.  Once you start it will keep you going.  I wish I could find more time to read it. 
Although if I didn't check this website, listen to shows, watch sports...

cimsm

Quote from: Mr Minor on March 07, 2008, 10:15:48 PM
Quote from: Hicks on March 07, 2008, 10:12:50 PM
Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

Agreed.  Once you start it will keep you going.  I wish I could find more time to read it. 
Although if I didn't check this website, listen to shows, watch sports...
Alright, I'm on it...
Thanks for the words of encouragement.
My other recommedation:  In Defense of Food
Awesome.  Perfect for all those "foodies" out there.  Loved it, and very informative.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Mr Minor on March 07, 2008, 09:31:51 PM
Quote from: gone2gamehenge on March 07, 2008, 04:31:58 PM
I am reading the Eric Clapton autobiography, and I highly recommend it. Has some great stories about his life with all the different bands and people he played with and some insane drug use. I knew he got down pretty hard there for awhile, but man did he put away some blow and heroin. Great story about his first time on LSD with the Beatles (up for 3 days seeing things broke down to energy and mathematical equations and such)

It's on my shelf right now and it's close to being next on my reading list...looking forward to it. I have heard great things about it.
It was good, especially all the stuff about what was going on musically in the 60-71 w John Mayall, Cream, the Dominoes, etc
I didn't care for his music much in the 70s and 80s (saw him 75) and now I know why.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Mr Minor

Quote from: cimsm on March 07, 2008, 09:22:50 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 07, 2008, 04:52:26 PM
The kid from Into The Wild went to my high school...

Yeah, Chris McCandless (sp)
He graduated from Emory Univ... a few of my buddies went to school with him.  And a few made the trek to check out the "bus" after the book was written.
Although he was a bit misdirected, I still envy him.  Big time...

Just finished Into the Wild.  Makes me want to go on a western expedition...albeit with a different outcome.  I feel similar to how I felt when I finished On the Road so many years ago.

I recommend this book to anyone.  Especially before you see the movie.  Don't ruin a good book by seeing the movie first!

shoreline99

Absolutely read the book before you see the movie. The books are always better anyway.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

sophist

Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

I'm going to read that soon, I recently watched Super Size Me and it had the same effect.   
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

kellerb

Quote from: shoreline99 on March 08, 2008, 02:15:06 PM
Absolutely read the book before you see the movie. The books are always better anyway.

We should start a thread about the exceptions that prove that rule.

Igbo

So i have been reading "IV" by Chuck Klosterman. Its the 1st time i have read anythign by Klosterman. Basically just a bunch of short interviews with people like U2, Val Kilmer, Radiohead, Wilco, Metallica. All pretty interesting, and snidely funny at times.

So far, the best was the article about "Bats Day" at Disneyland. It is basically a huge gathering of Goth Kids who take over Disneyland for the day. I was dieing laughing reading it last night. Worth it for that chapter alone.

sunrisevt

When I started grad school, we got handed Into the Wild and had to teach it to freshmen. None of us liked it then, but it's grown on me since. I haven't seen the movie but I kind of want to.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Igbo

Quote from: birdman on March 07, 2008, 05:02:37 PM
Alexander Supertramp. A hero of mine...and a fool.

I think his intention and purpose of his adventure were genuine and noble. But he was also very foolish and naive. Who think fuck goes to northern Alaska not having basic knowledge of flora and fauna, or how to hunt. He was learning as he went along. living in the north country of alaska isnt like car camping in the summer in northern virginia where dude was from

sls.stormyrider

SkyDog
bio of the guy to your left.
great book. just read the part about how he met Clapton and worked on the Layla album.

other recent purchases that are on deck have been mentioned here-Omnivores Dilemna and In Defense of Food
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."