News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

god delusion, that was pretty good. if you're interested in dawkins beyond the atheist angle, a really great and fascinating book by him is The Ancestor's Tale, which traces evolutionary history backwards starting at the present. a beautiful way to see how all life is interrelated.

i just read Saturday by Ian McEwan, who i've heard a lot about of late. lovely writing style, but the story didn't really do it for me.

then i read, for the first time since 8th grade, The Catcher In The Rye. it didn't thrill me. i could see why it was  sensational back in the '40s, but now it's just okay. or so i thought. i like Salinger's short stories much better.

and i read a crazy long sci-fi book called Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delaney. his style is unique, kind of dense and imaginative yet easy to read. the book enventually bored me, though. very much of its time, the early '70s.

guess i need to read a kick-ass book soon...

whyweigh5.0

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

Mr Minor

Quote from: cactusfan on April 30, 2008, 01:39:08 PM
then i read, for the first time since 8th grade, The Catcher In The Rye. it didn't thrill me. i could see why it was  sensational back in the '40s, but now it's just okay. or so i thought. i like Salinger's short stories much better.

Catcher in the Rye is one of those books that can affect you differently at different points in your life.  In high school I thought it was decent, but nothing great; near the end of college I reread it and thought it was awesome; I just reread it last summer and couldn't help but think how much of a whiny douchebag Holden Caufield was. 
(In a whiny voice) Ohh, life is hard,  I don't like school, I don't know what I want to do with my life, why don't these girls like me...  Suck it up, dude.  Deal with it.

But then again, I might reread it in a few years and think differently.

kellerb

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 30, 2008, 11:26:11 AM
Quote from: kellerb on April 29, 2008, 10:21:33 PM
Finally finished "Sometimes a great notion."  Great book, highly recommended.  And the end is awesome.

Now starting on "Dharma Bums," the next book on my xmas present queue.

Both great books and among my favorites...

I've just begun this:

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

That's a good one.  I've got "The Blind Watchmaker" next on my Dawkins-to-read list

fauxpaxfauxreal

_Aristotle and an Aardvark Go To Washington_ (Understanding Political Doublespeak Through Philosophy and Jokes)  By Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein

shoreline99

The Myths of Laziness, by Dr. Mel Levine.
Healing ADD, ny Dr, Daniel Amen.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

fauxpaxfauxreal

fauxpaxfauxreal

alcoholandcoffeebeans

if you EVER made one....

read it. you'll get it.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

alcoholandcoffeebeans

i'm not too shabby...

i'm always up for a good mix tape :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

VA $l!m

my ex has all mine.
maybe i'll steal you one when i see her in a month.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

maybe you could make a new one?!

just a thought ;)

VA $l!m

JimmyWilson