News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

Quote from: EliWhitney314 on July 06, 2008, 10:58:52 PM
I am now reading IT by stephen king.  A lot of people don't like him because he is over rated... but it is an incredible book and his imagery is incerdible.

hmm... i think a lot of people don't like him because he's an average writer who's churned out a ton of crap books amidst a few good ones.
try the Shining or the Stand if you want to read his best.

Mr Minor

Quote from: cactusfan on July 07, 2008, 01:38:30 PM
I am now reading IT by stephen king.  A lot of people don't like him because he is over rated... but it is an incredible book and his imagery is incerdible.

hmm... i think a lot of people don't like him because he's an average writer who's churned out a ton of crap books amidst a few good ones.

There is a time in everyone's life when Stephen King is a great read.  For me that time was in middle school and part of high school.  But at some point in your life you will realize there are authors out there that write novels that will change the way you look at the world.  I am not knocking King, because it's entertaining stuff, but it's just like Grisham type authors- formula>novel>easy read for the average human being.

EliWhitney314

Well this is pretty far away from what I normally read but I liked the movie and of course the book is better.  I still stand by it, its a good book.  Does anyone like Terry Pratchet?

Hicks

Quote from: Mr Minor on July 07, 2008, 02:08:08 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on July 07, 2008, 01:38:30 PM

There is a time in everyone's life when Stephen King is a great read.  For me that time was in middle school and part of high school.  But at some point in your life you will realize there are authors out there that write novels that will change the way you look at the world.  I am not knocking King, because it's entertaining stuff, but it's just like Grisham type authors- formula>novel>easy read for the average human being.

Werd, except that Stephen King is miles beyond Grisham in terms of imagination and storytelling.

Sure he's not the greatest author, but his books got me into reading for recreation in middle school, which may have happened anyway, but I feel like his writing was a great influence to move me towards reading instead of watching so much TV.  I'm sure there are thousands of other people out there that were affected the same way by his books. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

thechad

Quote from: EliWhitney314 on July 07, 2008, 05:44:24 PM
Well this is pretty far away from what I normally read but I liked the movie and of course the book is better.  I still stand by it, its a good book.  Does anyone like Terry Pratchet?

I would put 'IT' right up there with 'The Shining' and 'The Stand'  also the entire Dark Tower saga.  There are a few other books that are pretty good, 'The Bachman Books' which is a collection like 'Different Seasons' I enjoyed a great deal.  As far as someone like Grisham a lot of his early stuff is the same because that what his publisher told him to write. His first book 'A Time To Kill' I think is great but everything else that followed is schlock.  If you notice now, he writes nothing like those first half dozen or so books.  Of course he did write the book that became Christmas with the Kranks so other than his first book his credibility as an author is about as low as dudes who right in to Penthouse Forum.  And to answer your question Eli, I've read the first 15 or so of the Discworld novels and 'Good Omens' with Neil Gaiman.  It's to bad that he has recently been diagnosed with alzheimers.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

EliWhitney314

The only book I have of Terry is small gods and its in line for me to read.

rowjimmy

Stephen King was best before he was sober.

thechad

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 09, 2008, 11:02:58 AM
Stephen King was best before he was sober.

I think that can be said of most anyone who has done anything creative.  With some exceptions to be sure.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

shoreline99

midnight in the garden of good and evil, by John Berendt.

love is a mix tape; life and loss one song at a time, by Rob Sheffield
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

half way thru with this one...
all this michael moore talk and all...

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

MiamiPhish

Bobafett

i read treasure island yesterday.  man, i really like that book and haven't read it in years.  brought back some good memories.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Caravan2001

Just ripped through these in a matter of days.  The John Joseph bio is SICK!!  So nuts....If you have any interest in NYHC or NYC in general, it's a must read.

hoodie22

Like many here, I've on a Palahniuk kick this summer....
First was "Choke"...which I very much enjoyed and can't wait for the film
I also read his newest one "Snuff" which is pretty graphic, but I couldn't put it down
Now I'm onto "Rant" and again I just cant stop reading. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: hoodie22 on September 17, 2008, 11:42:44 PM
Like many here, I've on a Palahniuk kick this summer....
First was "Choke"...which I very much enjoyed and can't wait for the film
I also read his newest one "Snuff" which is pretty graphic, but I couldn't put it down
Now I'm onto "Rant" and again I just cant stop reading. 

I just read Choke and I'm reading Rant right now too. Probably finish it on the train home tonight. Great stuff.

Is Snuff in paperback yet?