News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodie22

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 18, 2008, 08:17:50 AM
Quote from: hoodie22 on September 17, 2008, 11:42:44 PM
Like many here, I've on a Palahniuk kick this summer....
First was "Choke"...which I very much enjoyed and can't wait for the film
I also read his newest one "Snuff" which is pretty graphic, but I couldn't put it down
Now I'm onto "Rant" and again I just cant stop reading. 

I just read Choke and I'm reading Rant right now too. Probably finish it on the train home tonight. Great stuff.

Is Snuff in paperback yet?

I don't so...I tried to wait, but I was curious about it i just had to buy it. It was a crazy read, I couldn't put it down...in good ways and bads.

shoreline99

Been reading my son's library books again. Quick kids reads, but the City of Ember series is pretty good. Also just read the Walt Disney bio 'Triumph of the American Imagination'. Don't remember if I mentioned that one or not. I also read a book on the design of Disney's parks that was put out by the Canadian Centre of Architecture a few years back called 'The Architecture of Reassurance: DEsigning Disney's Theme Parks' that was not only a good read, but a bit of a lesson on consumer behavior as well.

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

gimmetela

Pure Drivel
by Steve Martin.

It's gonna hold me over til Slaughterhouse 5 gets here! 
thanks Jephrey!  +K

Mr Minor

Choke- figured everyone was a fan so I would give it a try.  Good stuff.  Hard to put down.

Bobafett

just finished 3...
Daniel Boloud: Letters to a Young Chef.  great book for people in the bizz.
Stranger in a Strange Land...it was that time again.
Steinbeck: Grapes of Wrath...i hated it the first time i was forced to read it in High school, but steinbeck is sooooo descriptive that you can be there, exactly where he is describing...cool shit.  boring at times, but cool.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Mr Minor

Quote from: Bobafett on October 19, 2008, 11:44:53 AM
just finished 3...
Daniel Boloud: Letters to a Young Chef.  great book for people in the bizz.
Stranger in a Strange Land...it was that time again.
Steinbeck: Grapes of Wrath...i hated it the first time i was forced to read it in High school, but steinbeck is sooooo descriptive that you can be there, exactly where he is describing...cool shit.  boring at times, but cool.

Good book, but what a downer.  And the ending kills me every time.  I feel let down after reading it.  But Steinbeck is wicked awesome with description.

whyweigh5.0

Quote from: gimmetela on September 18, 2008, 03:25:29 PM
Pure Drivel
by Steve Martin.

thanks Jephrey!  +K

Slaughterhouse 5 is a good book.  Pretty much all Vonnegut is good, IMO.

Currently I am reading
this
http://www.amazon.com/Fear-Loathing-Campaign-Hunter-Thompson/dp/0446313645

and this
http://www.amazon.com/Junky-Definitive-Text-Junk-Anniversary/dp/0142003166/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224471118&sr=1-1
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

shoreline99

Just read The 39 Clues with my son. Great kids book, this should be a good series. We've collected most of the trading cards and he's been working on the online part of the game. Neat concept.

Highly recommended to those w/ kids in that age group.

Also, a bunch of LEED prep and Green Building books. the Sustainable Building Manual. Studying for my test...
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

easts_vault

Quote from: whyweigh3.5 on October 19, 2008, 10:51:36 PM
Quote from: gimmetela on September 18, 2008, 03:25:29 PM
Pure Drivel
by Steve Martin.

thanks Jephrey!  +K

Slaughterhouse 5 is a good book.  Pretty much all Vonnegut is good, IMO.

Currently I am reading
this
http://www.amazon.com/Fear-Loathing-Campaign-Hunter-Thompson/dp/0446313645

and this
http://www.amazon.com/Junky-Definitive-Text-Junk-Anniversary/dp/0142003166/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224471118&sr=1-1

Currently reading some Burroughs myself - Naked Lunch
Without music we are just swimming in an ocean with no hooks.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

just finished this one....

now, onto this one....

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

cactusfan

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on October 24, 2008, 04:31:19 PM
just finished this one....

now, onto this one....

jitterbug perfume is my favorite of his. beets and devils.

woodpecker has some good stuff, but feels a little thinner, as i recall.

rowjimmy

Haven't read Jitterbug... but I really liked Still Life With Woodpecker. Another Roadside Attraction is my favorite that I've read of his.

kellerb

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on October 24, 2008, 04:31:19 PM

now, onto this one....

I haven't read that book, but it makes me want to smoke

Mr Minor

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 24, 2008, 09:25:38 PM
Haven't read Jitterbug... but I really liked Still Life With Woodpecker. Another Roadside Attraction is my favorite that I've read of his.

Agreed on both Woodpecker and Attraction.  Another Roadside Attraction has a phenomenal ending and the characters and great.  Plucky is one of those characters that are on my all-time favorites list.  So many things with that guy are great.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: cactusfan on October 24, 2008, 07:16:11 PM
jitterbug perfume is my favorite of his. beets and devils.

woodpecker has some good stuff, but feels a little thinner, as i recall.

i'm only half way through still life.... but it does seem a little on the thin side compared to jitterbug.
a gal i work with kinda pushed me into that being my second tom robbins book... said it's her favorite...

but yes, jitterbug was GREAT... beets, devils, immortality, and a stinky Pan :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫