News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 14, 2008, 03:24:52 PM
Quote from: mattstick on November 14, 2008, 01:37:26 PM
Quote from: blatboom on November 14, 2008, 01:30:15 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 14, 2008, 01:28:24 PM
I don't see how they'll go about making a coherent film of of that book but someone's taken a crack at it.

wasn't that previewed before Dark Knight?  it it's what I'm thinking of, I wouldn't count on it being coherent.

Yes, and it's not going to be coherent.

I just watched the trailer and it actually looks like it rides pretty close to the book. Should be interesting; and 5 hours long.
http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

oh, and it opens the same day Phish returns so I may have to see it on Saturday in Hampton.

i don't know what you read, but it's not five hours long. it's ~2 hours 45 min. and if you've watched the latest preview, not the one pre-dark knight, you'll know what a total piece of shit it's going to be.

the end? re-done. no faux alien to unite humanity. now veidt plants bombs around the world. because that's so much more, um... stupid? cliched? i don't know.

strange how suddenly all the characters are built, sleek superheroes. i could have sworn the whole point of the book was to present them as what they are: slightly delusional, average middle aged people who dress up in absurd costumes.

and what's with rorschach's batman voice? and his hopping around like a bug on springs?

remember, this is the director that decided to remake one of the greatest horror movies of all time-- dawn of the dead-- and did so by removing every singe bit of meaning from the original and creating in its place a moronic videogame.

/end rant

rowjimmy

Quote from: cactusfan on November 15, 2008, 03:26:37 AM
I don't see how they'll go about making a coherent film of of that book but someone's taken a crack at it.

wasn't that previewed before Dark Knight?  it it's what I'm thinking of, I wouldn't count on it being coherent.

I just watched the trailer and it actually looks like it rides pretty close to the book. Should be interesting; and 5 hours long.

oh, and it opens the same day Phish returns so I may have to see it on Saturday in Hampton.

i don't know what you read, but it's not five hours long. it's ~2 hours 45 min. and if you've watched the latest preview, not the one pre-dark knight, you'll know what a total piece of shit it's going to be.

the end? re-done. no faux alien to unite humanity. now veidt plants bombs around the world. because that's so much more, um... stupid? cliched? i don't know.

strange how suddenly all the characters are built, sleek superheroes. i could have sworn the whole point of the book was to present them as what they are: slightly delusional, average middle aged people who dress up in absurd costumes.

and what's with rorschach's batman voice? and his hopping around like a bug on springs?

remember, this is the director that decided to remake one of the greatest horror movies of all time-- dawn of the dead-- and did so by removing every singe bit of meaning from the original and creating in its place a moronic videogame.

/end rant

I didn't read anything about the movie so I had no way of knowing the actual running time or the changes to the plot. I watched whatever trailer is at the link above which, upon re-watching seems like the same one from Dark Knight. It's not apparent that they are or are not delusional, middle agers. Fact of the matter, all they show in the trailer is action and, in the book they are sleek, effective heroes in most action sequences. I also noticed that a lot of the shots in the trailer are reconstructed directly from the comic.

As for the Director, clearly you are forgetting his greatest work, "Morrissey: ¡Oye Esteban!"  :wink:

Seriously, though. Give the guy a chance. This may not be his masterwork but everybody makes shit movies.
Sidney Lumet directed "The Wiz".

Igbo

I just finished The Watchmen (Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons) and holy crap. That was pretty good. I now respect the level of hype that it has received.

(And by "just finished" I mean, moments ago.)

i want my book back

cactusfan

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 15, 2008, 10:50:21 AM
Quote from: cactusfan on November 15, 2008, 03:26:37 AM

/end rant

I didn't read anything about the movie so I had no way of knowing the actual running time or the changes to the plot. I watched whatever trailer is at the link above which, upon re-watching seems like the same one from Dark Knight. It's not apparent that they are or are not delusional, middle agers. Fact of the matter, all they show in the trailer is action and, in the book they are sleek, effective heroes in most action sequences. I also noticed that a lot of the shots in the trailer are reconstructed directly from the comic.

As for the Director, clearly you are forgetting his greatest work, "Morrissey: ¡Oye Esteban!"  :wink:

Seriously, though. Give the guy a chance. This may not be his masterwork but everybody makes shit movies.
Sidney Lumet directed "The Wiz".

if zack snyder had made a Dog Day Afternoon i could forgive a lot of Wizzes. but he hasn't.

having followed what he's said about Watchmen, and watching what he's done, i am expecting disaster.

maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised. we shall see.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Igbo on November 15, 2008, 11:24:15 AM
I just finished The Watchmen (Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons) and holy crap. That was pretty good. I now respect the level of hype that it has received.

(And by "just finished" I mean, moments ago.)

i want my book back

Come get it.
Catrina has been sleeping on it.

j/k

susep

natronzero

I'm revisiting some old favorites -
after getting a friend and his wife hooked on Richard Brautigan, I decided to reread all of Brautigan's novels in order of publication.
So far about 2/3 of the way through A Confederate General From Big Sur.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

mehead

Just finished Bentley Little's "The Academy"..not as gruesome as some of his others but still a good read...
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

khalpin

bluecaravan521

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

PhishPhan

Quote from: susep73 on November 17, 2008, 07:13:01 PM

I'm reading the same book. Guess there are some Deadheads at our library :D

tet

just picked up The Audacity of Hope.  first read i've been looking this forward to in a long time...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

Mr Minor

Quote from: khalpin on December 02, 2008, 09:36:45 PM
World According to Garp

Great book!  Irving is one of my favorites.  I love Garps thoughts on so many things.

sophist

Love All The People- Bill Hicks. 

QuoteEditorial Reviews
Review
'Savage, brilliant, funny, tremendously intelligent' John Cleese 'He was hilarious, brilliant, brave and right about everything.' Henry Rollins 'Being a genius is a heavy burden, and he's the only one I'm ever likely to meet' Sean Hughes 'He was what only a great comedian can be for any age: an enemy of boundaries, a disturber of the peace, a bringer of insight and of joy, a comic distillation of his own rampaging spirit'. - John Lahr, from the foreword. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Product Description
In 1993, network executives abruptly cut the final appearance of comedian Bill Hicks — a scathing tirade of digs on the Pope and the pro-life movement — from an episode of The Late Show with David Letterman. His banning from the show, along with a profile in The New Yorker by veteran writer John Lahr, catapulted Hicks to national prominence. Just months later, at age 32, he died of pancreatic cancer.
Now available for the first time are Hick's most critical and comic observations, gathered from his stand-up routines, diaries, notebooks, letters, and final writings. This collection features his controversial humor and witheringly funny attacks on American culture, from its worship of celebrity and material goods to its involvement in the first Gulf War. Love All the People faithfully traces Hicks's evolution from a funny but conventional stand-up comedian into a fearless and brilliant iconoclast.

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

cactusfan

Anathem by Neal Stephenson.

first one i've read by him. i loved all the science and philosophy. he's very good at explaining complex topics. the book is set on a sort of alternate earth, and he does a good job describing that world. the problem comes when the plot really kicks in. he's not very good at storytelling, and the characters are pretty sketchy, making pure action sequences kind of dull (cause who cares who lives and dies when no one seems like a real person?). still, i was very much into it for something over 800 pages. then came the end, which wasn't an end. the story just stops with all these loose ends, right at the point where you'd expect to have a pretty enormous final sequence. in short, the ending just plain sucked. too bad.

anyone read Cryptonomicon? worth picking up?