News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhishPhan

First time since I was in Junior High.

rowjimmy

Quote from: A-Train on February 08, 2009, 08:57:38 PM
Just got "Into the Wild" for my B-day.Gonna start it tonight.Then watch the movie once I'm done.Already know most of the story.Hoping to get similar feeling from it as I did from "On the Road" and "Dharma Bums".

Yeah, well... It's more of a cautionary tale than the idealistic inspiration of Kerouac.

Mr Minor

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 09, 2009, 07:39:15 AM
Just got "Into the Wild" for my B-day.Gonna start it tonight.Then watch the movie once I'm done.Already know most of the story.Hoping to get similar feeling from it as I did from "On the Road" and "Dharma Bums".

Yeah, well... It's more of a cautionary tale than the idealistic inspiration of Kerouac.

qft

thechad

Quote from: Mr Minor on February 09, 2009, 07:46:52 AM

qft

If that's what you're looking for out of this book, you're going to be terrible disappointed, it's a good book, but for totally different reasons.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

A-Train

Quote from: thechad on February 10, 2009, 01:33:15 AM

qft

If that's what you're looking for out of this book, you're going to be terrible disappointed, it's a good book, but for totally different reasons.

I guess, what I really wanted was a sense of Adventure into the unknown. Not trying to get anything deep out of it or compare the author to Kerouac, even though I guess that's how I came across,

rowjimmy

Quote from: A-Train on February 15, 2009, 11:58:16 PM

qft

I guess, what I really wanted was a sense of Adventure into the unknown. Not trying to get anything deep out of it or compare the author to Kerouac, even though I guess that's how I came across,

I think you'll get closer to that vibe from the Krakauer's book "Into Thin Air"

Mr Minor

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 17, 2009, 08:12:45 AM

qft

Or even "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson.  It's about a dude who walks the Appalachian Trail.

birdman

Quote from: Mr Minor on February 17, 2009, 08:17:29 AM

qft

Or even "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson.  It's about a dude who walks the Appalachian Trail.
Another would be "A Walk Across America" by Peter Jenkins.
This dude and his dog walk from upstate NY to New Orleans. Great characters and stories abound in this read. Doesn't have the climax of "Thin Air" or Into the Wild" but has plenty of that "adventure" you're looking for (living with a hermit in appalachia, rooming with a poor black family in rural Mississippi, and an amusing stay at a hippie commune in Tenn.)
Paug FTMFW!

rowjimmy

Quote from: birdman on February 17, 2009, 08:50:27 AM

qft

This dude and his dog walk from upstate NY to New Orleans. Great characters and stories abound in this read. Doesn't have the climax of "Thin Air" or Into the Wild" but has plenty of that "adventure" you're looking for (living with a hermit in appalachia, rooming with a poor black family in rural Mississippi, and an amusing stay at a hippie commune in Tenn.)

Reminds me of "Travels With Charley: In Search of America" by Steinbeck.
An awesome travelogue, if you haven't read it.

Mr Minor

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 17, 2009, 09:12:34 AM
Quote from: birdman on February 17, 2009, 08:50:27 AM

qft

Reminds me of "Travels With Charley: In Search of America" by Steinbeck.
An awesome travelogue, if you haven't read it.

That is a great read.  I was going to mention that next. 

Mr Minor

mattstick

I cannot seem to finish James Joyce's "Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man"

Good reading if you wanted about 60 pages of gorgeous prose on what Hell is like.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on March 18, 2009, 08:52:45 AM

Good reading if you wanted about 60 pages of gorgeous prose on what Hell is like.

60 Pages, huh? I can accurately describe hell in three words:

Hannah Montana Marathon

birdman

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 18, 2009, 09:22:30 AM

Hannah Montana Marathon
Then I spent most of sat. morning in hell, if your description of Hell is accurate.
Felt/heard like Hell to me.
Paug FTMFW!

mattstick

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 18, 2009, 09:22:30 AM

Hannah Montana Marathon

You sir, are no James Joyce.   8-)