News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: ytowndan on March 20, 2009, 09:41:31 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 20, 2009, 09:35:45 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on March 20, 2009, 09:34:12 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 20, 2009, 09:27:23 PM
It was interesting to listen to them talk of him on npr's Talk of the Nation... apparantly... Darwin did not publish his work until 20 years after he originally wrote it...and only because a buddy of his came up with almost exactly the same theory independently...

Since Darwin was an Oxford grad, he was technically a C of E Cleric...

I'll have to search npr's online archive for that.  I assume it was recent, given that the 200th anniversary of his birthday was a couple weeks ago. 

It was today's show.  It might be called "Science Friday".  I think WBUR in Boston produces it.

I don't know if it was the first or second hour.

That made it much easier to find.  Thanks!  +K

Yeah, no problem.  It's a pretty decent show and makes Friday's fly by!

mehead

USA Today...b4 it becomes extinct
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: mehead on March 20, 2009, 09:51:48 PM
USA Today...b4 it becomes extinct

USA Today will most likely survive.  They actually have a great business model, and they have huge support in the corporate community.

There is a reason they are the Paper you get at most decent hotels in the U.S.

mehead

I hope you're right...about a year ago it cost 50 cents..now it's a buck...I hate watching the fuckin' news on tv
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

rowjimmy

When I stay at a decent hotel, I get a one or a choice of the NYTimes, Washington Post, LATimes, Wall Street Journal & whatever local fishwrap may be worthwhile. USA Today may be an option but I'd never pick it.

gah

Just had this sent to me from an old friend. Seems pretty good so far...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 30, 2009, 02:22:35 PM

it's so good!!!!!

especially if you love a good mix tape :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

gah

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on March 30, 2009, 02:27:23 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on March 30, 2009, 02:22:35 PM

it's so good!!!!!

especially if you love a good mix tape :)

Yeah, an old girlfriend of mine and I have been sending each other mix tapes (way back when) and now cd's every year on our birthdays for like 10 years now, and accompanying my cd this year was this book. It fits perfect.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sprobeck

The First Man In Rome by Colleen McCullough. It's great--I couldn't have gotten through the last 5 days with no T.V. without it! 
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

thechad

Just started, and now almost finished Russell Banks' "The Sweet Hereafter."  Had to read it for a class, pretty depressing but a pretty decent book, and it takes place it a Keene, NY.  He calls it by a made up name, but he lives there and the fact that I also have been there many times, it's only 30 min. from my house and he uses local business' in the book it was fairly obvious where it was.   
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

Hicks

Quote from: thechad on March 31, 2009, 03:39:40 AM
Just started, and now almost finished Russell Banks' "The Sweet Hereafter."  Had to read it for a class, pretty depressing but a pretty decent book, and it takes place it a Keene, NY.  He calls it by a made up name, but he lives there and the fact that I also have been there many times, it's only 30 min. from my house and he uses local business' in the book it was fairly obvious where it was.   

Never read it, but the movie is good, in a soul crushing kinda way.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

willsteele

The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin in preparation for my boy in a couple months.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

thechad

Quote from: Hicks on March 31, 2009, 12:02:37 PM
Quote from: thechad on March 31, 2009, 03:39:40 AM

Never read it, but the movie is good, in a soul crushing kinda way.

I've got to watch it this weekend, the book is pretty soul crushing on it's own, hopefully the fact that the Mitch the lawyer is played by Bilbo Baggins with make it easier. :-)
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

G. Augusto

blatboom

thought for sure this was going to be a certain mustacioed-author's tome.  8-)  :wink: