News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

recently finished:

a great little (size wise) book for those who want to learn more about both sides of the israeli-palestinian conflict.
its written as an autobiographical narrative by carter, which makes it a much easier read than a straight history book.
its "controversial" in the fact that it levies as much blame, if not a little more, on the isreali's....if you find that controversial......

my first stab at palahniuk.  i thought it was great. i put off reading his stuff cause everyone was so gaga over the movie fight club, which i thought blew.  i'm sure the book is better, as is usually the case.  looking forward to reading more of his stuff.

almost done with robbins complete works up till now and this one is definitely in the top three
if you like robbins and haven't gotten to this one yet, read it next!

G. Augusto

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker link=topic=4845.msg287567#msg287567

my first stab at palahniuk.  i thought it was great. i put off reading his stuff cause everyone was so gaga over the movie fight club, which i thought blew.  i'm sure the book is better, as is usually the case.  looking forward to reading more of his stuff.

I'm sure Survivor has been mentioned as the next one to check out...

cactusfan

2666 by Roberto Bolano.
not science fiction, despite the title. in fact that number never appears in the book.
best thing i've read in years.
amazing.

flow00

Quote from: *¡DYNAMITE!* on June 28, 2009, 11:36:05 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker link=topic=4845.msg287567#msg287567

my first stab at palahniuk.  i thought it was great. i put off reading his stuff cause everyone was so gaga over the movie fight club, which i thought blew.  i'm sure the book is better, as is usually the case.  looking forward to reading more of his stuff.

I'm sure Survivor has been mentioned as the next one to check out...

Definitely check out Survivor. I've read all of his books, and it's my favorite. ... I've also read all of Robbins, and I highly recommend to anyone Still Life with Woodpecker. Amazing book.

bluecaravan521

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

Been meaning to read this for a while, and when I finish I'll watch the movie.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

sprobeck

The Ingenious Edgar Jones by Elizabeth Garner.  Good.
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: cactusfan on June 28, 2009, 02:51:19 PM
2666 by Roberto Bolano.
not science fiction, despite the title. in fact that number never appears in the book.
amazing.

I would like to learn spainish and read this in the original language.

Also---MBW---you should be happy that you started with Diary, I think it is by far one of Chuck's weaker efforts, and my enjoyment of it was diminished by the awesomeness of his other output.

Survivor is by far my favorite of his works, but if you like Diary, you might prefer to move on to either Choke or Invisible Monsters next and save Survivor for a time when it won't diminish your enjoyment of his other books.

kellerb

Just started "the NOW Habit," after procrastinating on it since christmas.

khalpin

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 28, 2009, 07:44:08 PM
2666 by Roberto Bolano.
amazing.

Also---MBW---you should be happy that you started with Diary, I think it is by far one of Chuck's weaker efforts, and my enjoyment of it was diminished by the awesomeness of his other output.

Survivor is by far my favorite of his works, but if you like Diary, you might prefer to move on to either Choke or Invisible Monsters next and save Survivor for a time when it won't diminish your enjoyment of his other books.
How about learning English first!   :-D

G. Augusto

rowjimmy

Quote from: kellerb on June 28, 2009, 08:30:23 PM
Just started "the NOW Habit," after procrastinating on it since christmas.

Heady shot of irony...

thx

flow00

2666 by Roberto Bolano.
amazing.

Totally agree. Survivor is my favorite. But Choke and Invisible Monsters are great too. I didn't like Diary all that much.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: flow00 on June 29, 2009, 09:21:01 AM
2666 by Roberto Bolano.
amazing.

Totally agree. Survivor is my favorite. But Choke and Invisible Monsters are great too. I didn't like Diary all that much.

diary is off the beaten path for him... not as big of a wack job story as the rest of his stuff....

i still have snuff, pygmy, and his compilation of short stories-stranger than fiction to read before i've gotten thru his entire catalog.

and yes, still like with a wood pecker was GREAT. but i think, for me, it's third to villa incognito and jitterbug perfume by robbins.
robbins is just as far out as chucky p. at times....
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

flow00

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on June 29, 2009, 12:14:10 PM
2666 by Roberto Bolano.
amazing.

diary is off the beaten path for him... not as big of a wack job story as the rest of his stuff....

i still have snuff, pygmy, and his compilation of short stories-stranger than fiction to read before i've gotten thru his entire catalog.

and yes, still like with a wood pecker was GREAT. but i think, for me, it's third to villa incognito and jitterbug perfume by robbins.

Well said. I still can't get enough of Robbins.

On a slightly related note, I am not a big fan of Stranger Than Fiction. Most book reviewers tore him up, for good reason, imo. He hasn't written a good book in a while.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: flow00 on June 29, 2009, 12:16:58 PM
Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on June 29, 2009, 12:14:10 PM
2666 by Roberto Bolano.
amazing.

Well said. I still can't get enough of Robbins.

On a slightly related note, I am not a big fan of Stranger Than Fiction. Most book reviewers tore him up, for good reason, imo. He hasn't written a good book in a while.

oh right?
i haven't read any reviews about it, i try to steer clear of them till i finish books i want to read.

i think the whole part on the back about the testicle festival is what drew me into buying stranger than fiction, finally, saturday night :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫