News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Minor

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 22, 2009, 03:05:22 PM
Quote from: Mr Minor on July 22, 2009, 03:03:06 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 22, 2009, 03:02:27 PM
I'm re-re-re-re-re-reading The Lord Of The Rings. currently at the beginning of The Two Towers: book 4.

That's a story that never gets old. 

Yep.
Re-read The Hobbit before it and just finished telling the Hobbit (rather than reading it) to my youngest daughter as a series of bedtime stories. Did it all off the top of my head and it took a couple weeks.

I taught The Hobbit to a 7th grade class one year.  It was a fun book to teach.  Had some sweet activities to go with it.  Some of the kids really got into it.  Had a riddle contest that had some great riddles.

rowjimmy

I like the riddle contest idea.

So, now my 5y/old daughter wants me to tell her another epic tale. I think LOTR might be a little too intense, though. Suggestions?

Hicks

Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was a favorite when I was a kid.

Alice in Wonderland is another good one.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

cactusfan

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 24, 2009, 01:09:26 PM

So, now my 5y/old daughter wants me to tell her another epic tale. I think LOTR might be a little too intense, though. Suggestions?

Watership Down

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Hicks on July 24, 2009, 01:14:15 PM
Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was a favorite when I was a kid.

Also these two...

And finally, every little girl would probably love...

gah

The Old Testament  :-P You want her to sleep right?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

rowjimmy

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 24, 2009, 01:53:42 PM

You don't know me too well, do you?

sprobeck

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 24, 2009, 01:59:18 PM

If anything the old testament would give her nightmares!
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

sophist

We know that the word "God" would be replaced with "FSM"
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gah

Quote from: Sophist on July 24, 2009, 02:08:47 PM

We know that the word "God" would be replaced with "FSM"

It was a joke! Jeeeeeeeeez! Anyhow, you could always tell the story of Keeb.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

fauxpaxfauxreal

cactusfan

Cryptonomicon.

lots of great stuff. i liked all the parts in WWII. the storyline in the present was pretty lame, though. the attempt at a female character and a relationship with her was laughably bad. and completely unnecessary too. not sure what was up with all of that. the ending was kind of weak too. still, with 900+ pages of shit going on, there was plenty to keep me entertained.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 22, 2009, 03:05:22 PM
Quote from: Mr Minor on July 22, 2009, 03:03:06 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 22, 2009, 03:02:27 PM
I'm re-re-re-re-re-reading The Lord Of The Rings. currently at the beginning of The Two Towers: book 4.

That's a story that never gets old. 

Yep.
Re-read The Hobbit before it and just finished telling the Hobbit (rather than reading it) to my youngest daughter as a series of bedtime stories. Did it all off the top of my head and it took a couple weeks.
Dude, that's kick ass.  +K to you sir for being a kick-ass dad.  And if you're looking for suggestions, I remember loving most of C.S. Lewis' books and another fun one to recount to kids is the Adventures of Tom Thumb.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.