News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Quote from: Bobafett on September 07, 2009, 04:10:18 PM
i just started "The things they Carried" by tim o'brien.  never read any of his stuff, but so far i like the writing style a whole lot.  Its about Vietnam, which ususally does nothing for me, but again, the style of storytelling is really solid.
that's one of my favorite books.  He's a brilliant writer.  Let me know what you think once you finish it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

AntelopeFreeway

thechad

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 08, 2009, 10:12:56 AM
Quote from: JustJezmund on September 07, 2009, 06:59:21 PM

awesome and really easy read.  and better than the movie

I love how it is written "by the author of "Fight Club"

Noticed that, that is pretty funny.

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 08, 2009, 10:12:56 AM

Quote from: thechad on September 08, 2009, 01:23:02 AM
Started reading "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy again. Saw that another author has written a sixth book in the series and it is going to be released in October, don't really know how I feel about that, even if he was given the blessing of Douglas Adam's widow.

Blasphemy.

It was apparently written by Eoin Colfer who wrote the Artemis Fowl series of children's books.  I think this information makes it even more unsettling.  I have not read the Artemis Fowl books so I am not basing it on that, it just doesn't sit right with me, but I will probably still read it eventually, if for the only reason I can bitch about it thoroughly and correctly.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

mbw

just finished:

sadly, this completes my reading of robbins' bibliography
get to writing tom!

Mr Minor

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 09, 2009, 12:53:03 PM
just finished:

get to writing tom!

That's my favorite of his.  Plucky...what a great character.  So many things to like about that book!

mbw

it is definitely great. top three for me, inclulding villa incognito and fierce invalids.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Mr Minor on September 09, 2009, 12:58:50 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on September 09, 2009, 12:53:03 PM
just finished:

get to writing tom!

That's my favorite of his.  Plucky...what a great character.  So many things to like about that book!

Yup.  This book and _Even Cowgirls Get the Blues_ far and away surpass all of his other works, imo.  _Skinny Legs and All_ is a distant third.

gah

Dan Browns new book, The Lost Symbol drops tomorrow. I'll probably wait for the paperback to come out since I have a whole stack of other stuff I'm working on, but just thought I'd mention it.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

fauxpaxfauxreal

There's a special circle in Literary Hell reserved for Dan Brown readers.  It's adjacent to the section reserved for Daniel Steele readers and right down the hall from those who prefer Nelson Demille.

cactusfan

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on September 15, 2009, 12:27:54 AM
There's a special circle in Literary Hell reserved for Dan Brown readers.  It's adjacent to the section reserved for Daniel Steele readers and right down the hall from those who prefer Nelson Demille.

i tried to read the da vinci code but couldn't get past the first page. not that i was trying to be snobbish about it, i wanted to see what all the hubbub was about, figured i'd whip through it in a couple days, but i just kept re-reading the first sentence with growing disbelief that it had been written like that. it really may be the worst first sentence of any book, ever. so i gave up.

rowjimmy

Launch The Intruders

Documenting VA-65's 1972 stint in Vietnam. My father flew in that squadron on that cruise, gave an oral history to the author, and is mentioned numerous times in the book.
He handed me my copy and said, "If you want to know what I did in Vietnam... read this."

So I'm reading it.

Bobafett

^ Thats pretty freakin cool RJ.  Kudos to your dad!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

fauxpaxfauxreal

That is pretty cool.  How does it compare to Flags of our Fathers?

kellerb

Quote from: cactusfan on September 15, 2009, 04:25:04 AM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on September 15, 2009, 12:27:54 AM

i tried to read the da vinci code but couldn't get past the first page. not that i was trying to be snobbish about it, i wanted to see what all the hubbub was about, figured i'd whip through it in a couple days, but i just kept re-reading the first sentence with growing disbelief that it had been written like that. it really may be the worst first sentence of any book, ever. so i gave up.

That is a terrible first sentence.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Special circle of literary hell.  Told ya.